Volunteer?

This is a discussion on Volunteer? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Besides their full time job – some people volunteer for other things. Red Cross, Fire Rescue, Helping the sick or elderly or maybe Police Auxiliary ...

Thread: Volunteer?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Volunteer?

Besides their full time job – some people volunteer for other things.
    Red Cross, Fire Rescue, Helping the sick or elderly or maybe Police Auxiliary \ Reserve Officers.

All are very worthwhile and help the community.

I am a Police Auxiliary Officer. It’s my way of helping my community, full time officers (backup right there without having to wait for another Police Car to come up). It’s very satisfying for me.

Most times you’d think it boring but still enjoy the company and conversation of the full time officers I ride with. Sometimes very busy (working an accident on the interstate with cars\trucks zooming by). Maybe a call for a domestic problem, shop lifter, fight, robbery or possibly respond to a shooting or several other situations – Your right there with the full time officer, his\her temporary partner for a few hours.

The ones I ride with really appreciate my being there. Their “Thanks for riding” after each time is a reward in itself.

Today was really really invigorating. Our city has a FATS for a few weeks. Fire Arms Training System.
    Computerized Giant Screen projecting almost endless possible “Shoot / Don’t Shoot” type scenarios. Some of which call for pepper spray. The handguns you use and the pepper spray is hooked up to the system. You have to engage the mag & rack a round. When you fire – the gun recycles (via air hose) just about like it would in real life. The pepper spray is also connected to the system via cable of some kind.

It shows when you shoot, where you shot, gives stat’s if good shoot or bad and other information after each scenario. This is one of the “Perks” that come with being a volunteer auxiliary police officer.

Anyway, I know most people already have plenty to do – their job, family, other hobbies etc. – but if you have the time and want to do something really rewarding – I recommend checking into local PD’s to see if they have an auxiliary officer program that you can join. Just thought I’d share my feelings with you folks.
    Do something – or don’t but whatever you do – stay safe, watch out for your family and God Bless you all….
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Good for you - kudos for helping in your community.

I wish I were younger so I could consider similar things.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

me
    I volunteer with 2 different Fire Departments, our man power has been very low for a while and many of us have started running with 2 plus companies to make it easier to get man power when needed (yes we rob Peter to pay Paul).
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

+1 for the firefighters. I'm working on going full time on one dept and will continue to cover occasional weekends here. It just gets in your blood.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

ArmyCop what type of training did you have to go through for that? I'm an Augmentee on base (I work a few months every year as an SP, or if we ever get to FPCON DELTA I get called up). I've been thinking about EMT training so that I can volunteer, but being and Auxiliary Police Officer sounds interesting too.

FATS with a pepper spray system? That's kinda cool. Ours only allow us to simulate M9's and M16's.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    ArmyCop what type of training did you have to go through for that? I'm an Augmentee on base (I work a few months every year as an SP, or if we ever get to FPCON DELTA I get called up). I've been thinking about EMT training so that I can volunteer, but being and Auxiliary Police Officer sounds interesting too.

FATS with a pepper spray system? That's kinda cool. Ours only allow us to simulate M9's and M16's.
    Well, for my city - had to submit my request \ app info to the full time officer over the auxiliary dept for consideration.
    Had to pass a quick background check (no prior's).
    Present Auxiliary s had to vote in their monthly meeting by what they read on my app whether or not to bring me in for an interview (helps if someone they know can vouch for you personally).
    Had my interview (at that time no prior experience - just entering MP training for National Guard).

After voted in - served 6 months docket & fire rescue (our Aux's do both PD and Fire). No actual riding with full time officers till after fulfill the first 6 months - some training at range and with other officers during this time.
    After 6 months start riding patrol with other officers - training On The Job / Streets.

No prior experience really needed \ required with our dept to get on but it sure doesn't hurt if you have some.

I've been on with them since 1999 (except for a LOA when activated for Combat MP duty in Iraq then back when that was over) and love it.

You'd have to check with whatever PD your interested in to see if they have an auxiliary program and what their requirements are.
    For God, Family and Country!

I looked into my town's "special police" (a.k.a. traffic directors for events). They require you to work one night per month or something like that. But.... They require a clean driving record so my two non-moving points keep me out

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Good for you - kudos for helping in your community.

I wish I were younger so I could consider similar things.
    I dont know how old you are, but we have some old guys on our aux... I'd rather have them than a lot of the younger guys just starting out.

All of our aux. are full fledged officers, they just dont do it full time for whatever reason. We have one guy thats a doctor but always wanted to be a cop, we have a guy that has several business's, he comes out for the fun of it. Then we have young guys just starting out trying to find a full time job.
    They do help us out a lot, esp. during the summer with all the festivals and other events going on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm a volunteer firefighter for our local fire district. I love it. We've been really slow lately but still its a great feeling, helping out the community.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Links