An interesting drive

This is a discussion on An interesting drive within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, this doesn't belong in Tactical Scenarios because I at no point thought about drawing my firearm, but it does raise some interesting questions. I ...

Thread: An interesting drive

An interesting drive

Well, this doesn't belong in Tactical Scenarios because I at no point thought about drawing my firearm, but it does raise some interesting questions.

I was driving home from dinner tonight with my room-mate when all the sudden something flew out of the window of the crappy import car in front of me, and landed near a pedestrian. I thought I was imagining things at first, but then it happened with the next two as well (turns out they were water balloons, or at least liquid filled balloons. So, I told my room-mate to call the cops, and he said he didn't want to. So I started to follow the car, and I called the non-emergency number for the city. I gave the dispatcher a vehicle description (approximate year, color and make/model), liscense plate number, how many occupants and direction of travel and the streets they were on.

While giving them dispatcher this info apparently the genius' figured out I was following them (like it would have been hard to tell with me matching 5 turns after they started throwing) and started driving like morons, so I turned down a side street and started making my way home.

I doubt anything will come from it, but still, it was a little bit of excitement for the day. I probably shouldn't have followed them so long, but I wanted to make sure I got the liscense plate right, and didn't have pen and paper, and my room-mates memory sucks. He thought it was kind of a jerk move on my part, but I have been hit by water balloons from moving vehicles, and its not generally something I enjoy. If I was a pedestrian and someone saw it and could call it in, I would want them to.

Some would argue that its just an "innocent college prank", but its not fun walking home to class half soaked because some jerk thought it would be fun to drive around and have his friends throw water balloons at people.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for review.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It would class as "assault" in Washington State, obviously not just a prank. Sounds like you did right, especially for not continuing to follow after they drove off like maniacs. You did good.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Didn't I read about an old lady who died or was seriously injured by an innocent harmless water ballooning? Water balloons simply causing an older person to stumble and fall can lead to fatal head injuries, broken arms/wrists/teeth, or even the dreaded broken hip. Don't take this lightly, as an EMT, I've seen plenty of old people DIE from a broken hip, from a simple trip and fall. Usually it is a long painful death not from the break or bleeding (though sometimes it is), but from being immobile, bedsores develop and get infected, the infection stinks, spreads, and eventually kills the patient long after they started wishing they were dead.

Sorry for my rant, but these innocent michievous things that I was guilty of when younger, can have terrible consequences. Hopefully the turds wouldn't have done jailtime, but a fine or community service to learn them lesson would be in order, IMO.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    It would class as "assault" in Washington State, obviously not just a prank. Sounds like you did right, especially for not continuing to follow after they drove off like maniacs. You did good.
    Oh yeah, in my rant I forgot to say that you did good. Ditto the above.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    I think you had more fun in what you did than the dork tossing the balloons.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think you had more fun in what you did than the dork tossing the balloons.
    That is entirely possible. Especially since they only threw 3-5 before they decided to try and lose me. And the rest of their drive was probably not too much fun trying to avoid running back into me or the cops.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Problem is it might not have been a balloon with water in it. Another thing is the next time, it might be something more dangerous.

About a dozen years ago, I went under a railroad tressell & some nim-rods were throwing cider-blocks off the tracks down onto the road about 75 feet below. I had seen some debris on the road ahead of me as I went under & slowed down......One of the cinder blocks went thru the hood of my vehicle, if I hadn't slowed it could have come threw windshield or roof!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Problem is it might not have been a balloon with water in it. Another thing is the next time, it might be something more dangerous.

About a dozen years ago, I went under a railroad tressell & some nim-rods were throwing cider-blocks off the tracks down onto the road about 75 feet below. I had seen some debris on the road ahead of me as I went under & slowed down......One of the cinder blocks went thru the hood of my vehicle, if I hadn't slowed it could have come threw windshield or roof!
    Something like this happend here a few years ago except its was a rock and it did hit the guy driving. I dont remember the outcome of the court case, but I think the kid was tried as an adult and was convicted.

I remember something similar when I was in grade school in baltimore. Folks started noticing driveby watergun hits...which soon changed to bleach and acid gun hits....you get the idea. Wasn't such an "innocent prank". You did the right thing calling it in.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links