Bumper and Tanks

This is a discussion on Bumper and Tanks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It could be anyone and tanks, that is one dangerious job. I watched on tv a program about tanks training shooting all of that, how ...

Thread: Bumper and Tanks

Bumper and Tanks

It could be anyone and tanks, that is one dangerious job. I watched on tv a program about tanks training shooting all of that, how exciting when no one is shooting at you and the equipment just hums along wailing those rounds down range, killing a stationary target and its not shooting back. They can have that job, no way would I get into a steel tub with stuff that can explode either with help from someone shooting at you or by accident. Then there is something about the speed at which you can shoot is only as good as the guy loading the stuff!!! No thanks, and further more I would be careful about bumping into an ex tanker guy walking down the street armed. These guys must be hand picked knowing full well they may be light in the loafers. In closing I do have the deepest respect for those poor guys who fought so hard in north Africa tank corps returning home in very bad condition. Best to our guys in Iraq!
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I'm armor qualified. I branch transferred from the Infantry after spending over ten years as a ground pounder. Got tired of walking! You know when I discovered I had made the correct choice? I was at the Armor Officer's Advanced Course at the Armor School in Fort Knox KY and I was with a bunch of other officers just getting out of a class and heading off to get a bite to eat. We struck off across the parade ground and walked awhile. One of the Tank guys looked around (we had traveled about 500 meters, NOTHIN' for an infantryman) and exclaimed: "Wow! Look how far we've walked! We shoulda brought the CAR!!!" And I knew I was home.

I was always fatalistic about tanks. Look, either you're gonna be 100% OKAY or anything capable of stopping the tank will also stop you (permanently) so fast, you'll never even feel it. OTOH, an infantryman can get maimed very fast....

I think that the M1A1 Abrams is the SAFEST vehicle in the world. Witness the fact that a mere platoon of our guys in those tanks wiped out a battalion of the Republican Guard's BEST in 1991 in about ten minutes and the Iraqis never even SAW who was killing them! 54+ tanks, burning in less than 10 minutes. No casualties on our side. Well, not ME. My buddy. For another perspective: http://www.itsvideos.com/viewmedia994.html
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

DC Founder
    I have never had the opportunity to get inside an M1A1, but the M60A1 which I spent my time on, is fun to ride, drive and shoot under ideal conditions. But Ft. Hood in summer, in a tank is not alot of fun. That Texas cleechy pounded into a fine talcum like dust on the tank trails added to 100 degree heat (and sweat) made life pretty miserable at times. Ditto for lightning storms. In wintertime we felt priveleged to be out of the weather. But tanks are inherently dangerous places to be inside (or around), even during peacetime. I spent a lot of miserable hours as a armor crewman/tank commander, but I wouldn't trade one hour of it. If I could backup and live my life over I would have stayed to retirement....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    When I was in EOD school we had a Tanker who was a average student...... Until we got to the mines section of the course. When he saw the films of those AT mines taking the turret right off the tanks he became an "excellent" student.

His only comment (other than "DAMN!!!"), was that they never showed those films at Ft. Knox.
    Last edited by rstickle; March 21st, 2005 at 08:07 AM. Reason: early morning!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I love armor, even though I was never an official tanker, just when in ROTC. I was actually Navy...wanted to see more than one base at a time.
    I like old armor, as well, and have found bunches for sale, including Pattons, Hetzers, T-34s, T-55s, (all running/restored), and scads of light armor.....where did I put those winning lottery numbers.....
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

I thank you all brave, dedicated GI's for responding to my attempt at humor. It was not that great and I admit to not being clear writing at times but thanks all. The firepower must be amazing on those platforms. Being in a tank must be exciting and if your around age 22 there is so much to learn. As ExSoldier762 pointed out the tank can terminate the enemy pretty quick. But for now we all like to just shoot our .45's and talk our past, there are a bunch of GI's here and a thousand stories. When memorial day comes we are happy to be above ground saulting those who went before us. Take care everyone. Don't run in front of tanks!!!
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I have never had the opportunity to get inside an M1A1, but the M60A1 which I spent my time on, is fun to ride, drive and shoot under ideal conditions. But Ft. Hood in summer, in a tank is not alot of fun. That Texas cleechy pounded into a fine talcum like dust on the tank trails added to 100 degree heat (and sweat) made life pretty miserable at times. Ditto for lightning storms. In wintertime we felt priveleged to be out of the weather. But tanks are inherently dangerous places to be inside (or around), even during peacetime. I spent a lot of miserable hours as a armor crewman/tank commander, but I wouldn't trade one hour of it. If I could backup and live my life over I would have stayed to retirement....
    Yeah Ft. Hood was a killer in the summer time.

Bradleys are fun to!

Bradleys are the best of both worlds , they keep you out of the weather and everyone and their third cousin thinks they are tanks and uses whatever they can to try and kill them.

"I think that the M1A1 Abrams is the SAFEST vehicle in the world. Witness the fact that a mere platoon of our guys in those tanks wiped out a battalion of the Republican Guard's BEST in 1991 in about ten minutes and the Iraqis never even SAW who was killing them! 54+ tanks, burning in less than 10 minutes. No casualties on our side. Well, not ME. My buddy. For another perspective:"

Let's not forget there were Bradleys there also hosing the APCs and dismounts.
    And to all Tankers and Bradley crew "Death before dismount"!

When out of mobility, become a pillbox. When out of ammo, become a bunker. When out of time, become heros.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

DC Founder
    I have also heard that the Abrams is one of the coolest, literally. I believe they are air conditioned to keep the the computerized fire control equipment cool. The "computer" on an M60A1 was really full of gears which worked pretty well for it's day but doesn't compare to the Abrams' capability. I know very little about the Bradley but I expect they use alot of the same technology that the Abrams does.
    Bumper

I don't know about current models, but the M1 and M1A were not air conditioned, although they had a really KEWL "OVER PRESSURE" system that kept out NBC agents like NERVE GAS etc. THe multiple Halon "shots" require no refridgeration neither does the computer stuff. Very rugged components. However, it IS possible to cook MRE's on the exhaust vents or if operating in a desert environment, just wait until the noon hour approaches and lay the plastic bag on the skin of the turret. Heats right up. Then pull a cold soda (or whatever) from the cooler you have sequestered in the bustle rack and enjoy...tankers live GOOD.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    However, it IS possible to cook MRE's on the exhaust vents or if operating in a desert environment, just wait until the noon hour approaches and lay the plastic bag on the skin of the turret. Heats right up. Then pull a cold soda (or whatever) from the cooler you have sequestered in the bustle rack and enjoy...tankers live GOOD.
    I'm giving away my age but we ate mostly C rations. We were able to poke a hole in the top of the can and cradle it into the exhaust vent which was on the top rear deck and shaped like a "V". The can would remain in the vent while underway. And, we too carried small coolers in the bustle. We did live pretty good in the field....
    Bumper

Links