My theory

My theory

This is a discussion on My theory within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK, first let me say my heart goes out to the families of the VT victims. Now, I would like to propose a theory that ...

Thread: My theory

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar

My theory

OK, first let me say my heart goes out to the families of the VT victims.

Now, I would like to propose a theory that may or may not be credible but first came to my mind when I heard a report (unconfirmed currently) of the VT killer's father's job. I had heard that Cho's father is attached to the South Korean embassy, based on this I had the following thought:

What if????

Cho, a mentally unstable individual was approached by some member of North Korean intelligence, easily converted to the NK thought process and used a a weapon of terrorism? My theory has some holes but the following items are what I used to come up with this...

NK despises the US
    Father SK embassy employee
    Shooter rants against basic capitalist ideology
    Shooter actually very proficient with weapon (every wounded victim has at least 3 bullet wounds)
    Shooter chained doors
    Shooter attacked at very rural campus (heartland attack)
    FBI IMMEDIATELY in on investigation
    Shooter identified self PRIOR to rampage (mailing to NBC)
    Shooter taped video several days prior to attack (not a sign of "snapping")
    Ego-maniacal killer commits suicide??? before he can be caught, before he runs out of ammo and before confronted by police.

These are my thoughts, they do tend to reflect my suspicious view of the world. Please feel free to comment.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Administrator
    hmm, interesting to say the least.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    I'll always try and be sufficiently lateral thinking to not rule out anything ..... in this case however, thus far .... I hardly place any connection to his ethnicity.

Maybe some cultural elements increased his loathing and angst but for most part IMO this was a near classic paranoid schizo. The very worst.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hay this is the INTERNET we can start any rumor and call it fact that we want, now how to we get NBC to pick this up?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm5874 View Post
    I must admit, I was very curious why this occurred, although there may be a perfectly logical explanation.

VIP Member
    I thought the parents run a dry cleaners................?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Maybe some cultural elements increased his loathing and angst
    Yeah, but I think it was an American cultural element. They call it college.

Seriously, you guys would not believe the hate America crap that people are bombarded with in college these days. It's outrageous.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

A lot of Universities are on federally donated land. Technically, that makes them federal not state land. The FBI would be the correct LE group then. That could be why they were called in so soon. I know that Iowa State University is a land grant university, making it federal property. Does anyone know if VT is a land grant univerisity?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aepilotjim View Post
    Does anyone know if VT is a land grant univerisity?
    If I were a betting man, I would bet that it is.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aepilotjim View Post
    Does anyone know if VT is a land grant univerisity?
    Yes, it was a land grant school. Founded in 1872 as a land-grant college named Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Shooter actually very proficient with weapon
    No evidence of even marginal proficiency with his weapons.
    Any idiot can shot people that are just standing or sitting there.

How many rounds did he expend? If he was even remotely proficient he'd have had a kill for every round expended ... instead he seems to have "Sprayed and prayed" in tightly packed rooms full of people.

A blind monkey could do just as well.

Shooter taped video several days prior to attack (not a sign of "snapping")
    Most all "spree shooters" plan their attacks ... none just "snap". People who just "snap" kill one or two people (usually SO and/or children) then themselves.
    Ego-maniacal killer commits suicide??? before he can be caught, before he runs out of ammo and before confronted by police.
    This entire act was a suicide ... he killed all those other people because if he just killed himself he'd have died anonymously. All these other deaths are purely to get people to notice his suicide.

Its a "high profile crime" ... the FBI often investigates "high profile crimes" that are out of its jurisdiction. Hell, there were way too many cameras for the FBI to stand idly by and let all the other law enforcement agencies in the area hog all that precious limelight.

There's no conspiracy, no plot no nothing ... just a crazy/angry/suicidal schmuck.

Occam's Razor

To CJM 5784
    This is an interesting take on the VT killer but it is not the kind of thing that you expect from North Korea. It seems more the act of a demented individual than some conspiracy. The thing that bothers me most is the docile manner in which the students accepted their fate and the lack of resistance. I think that future student orientations should include an explanation of the 21 foot rule and suggestions of rushing the shooter, throwing books, screaming running and throwing desks and anything you can get your hands on. We concentrate on guns and I just think that the people in charge of colleges and universities will never allow people to carry weapons on campus. The best we can expect is to at least instill a survival instinct in students and a little gumption to attack a shooter.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

My Theory.

Cho was a geek or a nerd, the Korean kid who is great at math but lousy with the girls. He got bullied from Kindergarden through to College and harbored a deep hatred for all the people around him. He was due to graduate soon and was probably insecure about his grades as although he was intelligent he had mental disorders that affected his studies.
    He had retreated from his peers and was a loner. He fantasized about violence, he watched Korean DVDs including the movie Oldboy (one of the poses in his 'vanity reel' was of him holding a hammer, this image was the promo image for Oldboy, which incidently is a very violent revenge movie).
    He was aware that the campus was off the grid sufficiently to allow him time to kill a large number of people, he tested this with the bomb hoaxes. He probably wanted to coincide his murders with the Columbine anniversary but as the date got nearer he worried about being discovered.
    He has tried to implicate Muslim involvment with his Ismail Ax moniker, hoping to create fear in the nation as a whole that this was the first of many attacks.

there is a report floating around now, i'm not sure of its accuracy, that he had been diagnosed as being within the autistic spectrum.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
    if this is true, certain things make sense about his behavior: his tone of voice, the way his inability to socialize as described by those who knew him (lack of eye contact, introvertedness to the extreme), his attention to and obsessing over minute details...i could on for awhile. i'm in no way excusing what he did; as a parent of a child with autism, i pray to G*D that he was just a garden variety maniac. i would hesitate to read anything into his rampage other than what it was; a senseless loss of life, committed by a narcissistic maniac.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Well guys you have shot a sufficient number of holes into my thoery...just wanted to get some out of the box thinking going. I'm tires of the NBC/CNN version of things where if he just couldn't buy a gun this would never have happened.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Links