I (finally) Saw a Legal Turkey!!

This is a discussion on I (finally) Saw a Legal Turkey!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After day and days of work (ick- at least compared to huntin') and horrible weather, we finally got good weather today. I'd been turkey hunting ...

Thread: I (finally) Saw a Legal Turkey!!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

After day and days of work (ick- at least compared to huntin') and horrible weather, we finally got good weather today.

I'd been turkey hunting on opening day (April 6 in the Sooner State). It snowed. I kid you not, in northern Washington County, Oklahoma, it freakin' snowed on Good Friday. I froze. I went the next Monday (the 9th) and the next Monday (the 16th) as well. I saw hens each time, even going as far as to almost be trampled by four of them (I hide very well).

But no gobblers. No jakes. Not even a gobble.

Today I got set up a little before 6:00, and miracle of miracles, the gobblin' commenced thereafter.

Saw four hens and five deer. The deer ran back and forth for a while. I don't know why. One deer wasn't as frantic as the others, so I watched it for a while. It milled up and down the opposite bank of the creek over which I was set up and finally moved on.

I heard three different gobbles in the distance (at least half a mile) and worked my call. Dude, I mean I WORKED that doggoned call , and I WORKED it. I worked it and worked it for over an hour. Closer and closer.

Finally, a little after 8:00 two jakes appeared. There was no question they were legal birds: bright red heads and jet black bodies, unlike the grayish hens I'd seen.

They were looking to get laid, coming hell-bent-for-leather. Just like a 16-year old boy. I guess they are 16-year old boys in the turkey world.

At this inconvenient moment I noticed that they were not going to get closer than 50 yards from me due to the creek. I set up too far in the woods on my side of the creek.

So be it. I blasted the lead one and he is now in the refrigerator (or what's left of him, anyway). He went down like he was poll-axed. He twitched, but never flopped. Used the gun my son calls my "Turkey Cannon"- - Mossy 835, loaded w/ 3 1/2" Remington Heavi-Shot No. 5's.

I then discovered a second minor inconvenience: I was 300 yards away from the nearest crossing.

Big deal....a small price to pay.

My turkey hunting partner (my best friend's dad) told me I should have given them a cluck or a purr and they would likely have jumped the creek and I could have shot them both (though not legal to take two in one day in Washington County, I might add).

I'll try that if it happens again, but tomorrow I'm setting up closer to the creek. I won't mind the hike if I kill a turkey.

The afternoon wasn't as good: I saw one hen, and heard her clucking before I saw her. The wind picked up and etc.

Off to the woods again tomorrow.

But finally: Sweet Success!!
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Congtats !! Calling is as much fun as the shooting - just like rattling for deer. My opening weekend of turkey season yeilded another reward that I am just now discovering. POISON IVY(or oak) head to toe, and in between.

VIP Member
    Am I get in this thread thinking "This is one Lawyer joke I don't know"
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I don't believe it. Did you check his ID?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Am I get in this thread thinking "This is one Lawyer joke I don't know"
    Randy is a lawyer...

Good job on the bird. Right when they drop down and start talking - is that not one of the most exhilerating things in the world? I would love to get a shot at a jake, but I'm having to save vacation time. Enjoy your time in the woods, and good luck with the rest of the season.

Distinguished Member
    Sooo, you met your congressman?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    Randy is a lawyer...

Oh damn!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

The proper term of reference is "Turk" - a "turkey" is a feathered bird much valued for it's meat....

...oh, you ARE talking about the feathered bird. I thought you were talking about legal and illegal immigrants.
    Clint
    Kansas - The original Old West
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

Sponsored Links