Dogs

This is a discussion on Dogs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just saw something really important on a PBS show about the evolution of dogs: a dog, any dog, is a better deterrent to thieves than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs

Dogs

Just saw something really important on a PBS show about the evolution of dogs: a dog, any dog, is a better deterrent to thieves than the most sophisticated alarm system!

I TOLD YA SO !!!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

That's why I have three... They are big babies though, but over 250lbs. of American Pit Bull Terrier roaming around the house is a pretty good deterrent.

VIP Member
    I rather have dogs too but....
    There are deterrents and deterrents. For pure alarm purposes, Geese.
    I remember a story I read from when Rome was barely an outpost. One night they were about to be attacked by their local enemies but it were not the dogs that gave the alarm (they were asleep) but the geese they had in cages for sacrifice to the gods. They made such a racket all romans woke up and repelled the attack. The dogs were sacrificed at dawn for failing to do their duties.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Most cops I talk to say that it is not the bite but the bark that is the biggest deterrent. The louder and more constant the better. I guess that would make a Yorkie the best watchdog. That said, I wouldn't want to run into three ticked-off pit bulls.

My Beagle, Australian Shepard mix is a bundle of energy. She sees that I walk at least an hour a day and will wake the dead if someone approaches our quiet place of three acres in the country. I have a 200 foot field of fire around my house and people have to want to see me if they come to my house. If they mean me harm Buffy warns us and Momma shoots them. I am retired.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Administrator
    I stand by my thought that a good dog is far better than a alarm. In fact, I know that most alarms are all but worthless.

I love my invisable fence in the front yard... No more pesky salesmen ringing my bell. They can give their pitch to my GSD's, but I doubt they will listen to it...
    "Just blame Sixto"

DC Founder
    I agree, a dog barking will send them on down the block to find another house without a dog. Our dog, a golden retriever, loves everyone but still announces the arrival of anyone that comes up our sidewalk. We set our alarm rarely, our dog is always there....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I'll second the geese! I grew up in farm country and a mean goose will back up a nasty disposition with bite and battering wings. I've even had 'em try to take me on while bike riding!

Dogs are also great and always had one, even on our boat! Our 40 lb terrier mix would have died repelling anyone who meant harm and nothing was ever stolen from it all the years we traveled. She is dearly missed. Our current mutt has a much more easy going temperment but has shown he has some "sand" when needed and he'll do just fine. Not a barker but when he does bark, something is really wrong.

One person I know of though kept three pet skunks on a large wrap around screened porch. They loved people and loved to play so anyone came into the porch got met by three skunks running up to them. He wished he'd had a video camera for all the reactions it brought from salesman!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

pit bulls are great alarm dogs, but are not so good attack dogs. at least mine were, they liked people too much. chihuahuas make better attack dogs.

VIP Member
    Where I am now, all the wealthy people live in semi-compounds behind tall, anti-climb fences. Many, many people also have dogs that are primarily burglar deterrent and only secondarily pets. Know what the burglars do? Poison them.

We’ve had several instances of sick/dead dogs that were poisoned by ‘outsiders,’ and these seem to increase in frequency when the owners are on vacation or otherwise out of town. It’s sad, sick stuff, but then again, we’re talking about criminals here… I hope this never becomes as common in the States.

All that being said, I adopted a big German Shepherd from the Federal Police here, a wash out from their drug-dog program. He’s way too sweet (and dumb) to be a real ‘attack’ dog, but you should see the look on peoples faces when he comes charging at the gate, barking his giant head off.

Edit: We also all have alarms on our houses. Of the six attempted burglaries we had in the community last year, 4 were unsuccessful, and 2 were successful. Guess which 2 didn't have their alarms set? Of course, we faithfully monitor the alarms and have a 3-5 minute response time, so we're much better off than many others, but still... Alarms can and do work.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator

Thumbs up

A dog is great but Whole House plus a dog is better.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    We all know that no single system is perfect. OPFOR, I used to live north of you and I trained my dogs not to take food from anybody but 2 people in the family and only from their bowls and also to drop anything they were eating on command because the same thing: I had 2 dogs poisoned by strangers.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

VIP Member
    I certainly wasn't trying to say that dogs are of no value - they are a great and important part of any home security setup... I was just saying that they are not a panacea -they can be defeated just like anything else.

When your dogs were poisoned, was there any indication that it was a prelude to a burglary/robbery? Thanks...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Where I used to live, if people were breathing outside your door, that was a prelude to bad things to come. But yes, at least in one incident it was a the BG preparing for action............and failed.

I followed certan "safety tips" from this book and the BG fell in one of it.

And I even found out who he was (lived about half a mile from us) He hopped a lot for the next 2 months.
    Last edited by Miggy; April 23rd, 2007 at 09:16 AM.
    Randy Cain.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Where I used to live, if people were breathing outside your door, that was a prelude to bad things to come. But yes, at least in one incident it was a the BG preparing for action............and failed.

I followed certan "safety tips" from this book and the BG fell in one of it.

And I even found out who he was (lived about half a mile from us) He hopped a lot for the next 2 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links