Camping pictures

Camping pictures

This is a discussion on Camping pictures within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We took our new dog Tanner hiking with us this past weekend. The hike to campsite was around 6 miles, and we stopped every few ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VIP Member

Camping pictures

We took our new dog Tanner hiking with us this past weekend. The hike to campsite was around 6 miles, and we stopped every few miles to give Tanner water and check up on her feet and overall condition. The voyage didn't bother her at all. She's got a lot of energy for a 20 pound dog. And she loved the woods. I attached her to my pack with a 5 foot leash.

Because of Will's back problems and me squishing my knee moving furniture, we didn't hike at all last year. I now have a set of Komperdell ultralight hiking sticks to take the pressure off my knees, and Will's back is much better.

We pitched tent by the lake. The tent is an REI Half Dome 2 (2 person):

We have portable food and water bowls for Tanner:

The water looks milky white because it's filtered and treated from the lake. I have a 2 liter Camelbak and Will has a 3 liter, but we still needed more water. So we used our Katadyn Hiker water filter:

In the picture, Will's pumping into my collapsible water bottle. We also have iodine tablets and the tablets that remove the iodine taste. I added some tea flavoring from one of our MREs:

I rebuilt the fire pit:

We gathered wood and used our camp knives to chop wood. We could have brought hatchets, but we decided that the knives were more versatile as utility tools and defensive weapons. On the left is Will's BKT Combat Utility 7, and on the right is my Ka-Bar Camp Knife:

Man makes fire:

Tanner started digging and even used her muzzle to push away dirt. She made herself a soft dirt bed:

She did sleep with us in the tent, however, and let us know whenever she heard another hiker pass through. For a small dog, she's got a big growl.

I don't like the water, dad!

The hard life of a dog:

To let your MRE heat up, lean it up against a rock or something:

My Petzl Tikka Plus lit the way for midnight potty runs:

Overall, we had a great trip. We're worn out and sore, but Tanner is unfazed. I flopped down on the bed exhausted, but she grabbed one of her rope toys, jumped onto the bed, adn started flailing her toy around.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    God I love hiking! Thanks for the pics, Betty!!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Great post , thanks for the pics , and btw Tanner says , can we go again , can we , can we NOW , please LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Reminds me that I really need to get out more.

Thanks for the great pics.

Now I'm off to find a "rock or something".
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I love taking our dogs camping. We have a new one this year that has never been with us before so it should be fun. By the way, my definition of camping comes with a bathroom with shower, DVD player and surround sound. I'm old, you're not.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Great Being Out In The Woods...

I love camping, and my wife is willing to tolerate it for a few days at a time.

Hey B...nice fire pit...how many months are you staying at that spot?

Thanks for the pics...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    Excellent pics Betty - thx.

I have a ''thing'' about camping by water - it has a certain magic. Looks like an idyllic break for you guys.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Looks like a cool trip, was that in TN?
    It's always nice to see a face behind the posts too.

VIP Member
    Great pics, Betty. But don't believe Tanner when she says, "I don't like the water, dad!" She just wants to be picked up. Give her a chance and she'll demonstrate that she likes water a lot.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Looks like you had a great time. I'll be heading off this Wednesday for a 5 day camping trip using all 18th Century equipment at Fort Frederick MD.

I look at your tent, which practically sets itself up with much envy!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Looks like a really nice place to spend some time. Good pics.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    Hey B...nice fire pit...how many months are you staying at that spot?
    One night, actually.

It's a camping spot frequently used by other campers and always has a firepit, and it looked like somebody kicked the rocks all over the place for fun. So I had to rebuild it. Some people have no respect and trash the area. They left garbage, too. Somebody did, however, spend the time making the handy seat I'm sitting on in the picture.

I had the spaghetti MRE. Will had the veggie burger one and he would like to add: DO NOT EAT THE VEGGIE BURGER MRE, YOU WILL GET A BAD CASE OF THE POOPS. Thank goodness I came prepared with some Immodium.

I have so much thigh pain today I can hardly make it up and down the stairs. Tanner's been running circles around me.

rstickle,
    That's a great tent. It has a small footprint, but it's big enough for me and Will (he's almost 6 ft tall) with elbow and foot room.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    Very nice. camping is lots of fun. Guess I will post about my weekend camping. Glad ya had fun and got out.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for taking me away for a few !!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

nice pics.

You filter and treat your water? IIRC the filter removes everything that can make you sick. I don't know if the iodine tabs help with giardia (beaver fever) or not. I've never used them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links