A good dog for Home and Child protection

This is a discussion on A good dog for Home and Child protection within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A lot of members have dogs, we have two medium sized pound puppies, nice to have around, but not a whole lot of bite to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A good dog for Home and Child protection

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

A lot of members have dogs, we have two medium sized pound puppies, nice to have around, but not a whole lot of bite to back up the bark. Since our Lab has been gone, we have put off getting another large dog.

Well, now we are again looking at getting one, I would like to hear what members have, above all, it MUST be friendly and TRUSTWORTHY towards our young son. We live on 20 acres and don't run into much trouble of the two or four legged kind, but it is always a possibility. While out playing, I am armed, and would not hesitate to shoot an animal posing a treat, but I would rather concentrate on getting him inside, while the dog takes care of any problems, as well as taking the night shift guard duty.

Thanks in advance.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    My neighbor has 3 children, the oldest in the 5th grade and the youngest a pre-schooler. He has a Golden Retriever that is the best behaved dog that I have ever been around.... Unless someone threatens one of the kids. Then Jake turns into a terror with golden fur. If I wanted a big dog, one like Jake would top my list.

If I had that much land I would have 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Gorgeous dogs, good with people, and they used them to hunt lions in the mountains. Cool background. A bit bigger than a lab I believe.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/rhodesian_ridgeback/index.cfm

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    There are other sources than this one, but I want one of these.

Atlas K9
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Quote Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post
    If I had that much land I would have 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Gorgeous dogs, good with people, and they used them to hunt lions in the mountains. Cool background. A bit bigger than a lab I believe.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/rhodesian_ridgeback/index.cfm
    I'll second the Rhodesian Ridgeback. Ours is great with our 5 year old daughter and 6 month old son. They are willfull and require more attention to traingin than the mastiffs I grew up raising but make great gaurd/family dogs.

Their size is also enough to be very imposing with a skull and set of teeth to frighten about anyone. Our male, Colt, is about 110 pounds and runs like a gazelle.

I have a chocolate lab, not the most fierce of breeds but you can allmost bet money that it won't hurt your kids. My female is very loyal and a great guard dog. I have a friend that has and american bulldog, not a pitbull, his dog is very laid back, doesn't bark unless it has to. I have seen his dog actually go to investigate a noise rather than bark at it. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanbulldog.htm

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My kids were raised with a mix of dogs , from goldens to " attack breeds " . Like many small town LE one of the dutys was to put down strays , and you see a lot of " too good " dogs to do that to . So some of the exceptional dogs come home , others you do your best to adopt , bend the rules , and then do your duty when called on it . Of all the breeds i have had experience with i have to reccomend a trifecta . In no special order ( and keeping in mind a family pet as well as a guard dog ) I personaly would say a rotweiler , American Bull terrier ( pitbull ) , and a Standard poodle ( i dont mean any kind of miniture here , i mean the old standard which will scale out at 70 plus pounds ) . Blue/red healers come in at a distent 4th due to weight not attitude .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

me
    I would think a greman shepherd should work well I hope to get a Belgian Malinious when I get my own place
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I vote for a Doberman. They are extremely protective of their home turf and suspicious of strangers, but when it comes to family they are short of a baby in diapers.

I am sure you are aware of this, but I will say it anyway. There are desired traits in a dog that humans desire, but that doesn't mean, no matter what dog you buy, it will act a certain way "Right out of the box." You still have to train and reinforce the behavior you desire.

That aside there are many dogs out there, though, you cant go wrong with a German Shepard or a Doberman IMO.

Glock , i did not reccomend shepards or dobies for family guard dogs , not because they cannot be great ones , but because in my experiance they are timid , and tho they will defend terrortory , you IMHO cannot rely on or train them to be both loveing at all costs ( children ) and defensive . I am by no means a trainer tho and may well be wrong , i just posted my experiances on what i would trust to fill a dual roll .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

i know i'm gonna get flamed for this, but i vote for american staffordshire terriers, otherwise known as pit bulls. i personally know dozens of people with at least one, and most of them have small kids. never, ever heard a complaint about a single one, except for being boisterous. my dog never once gave me a sideways look, and was the best guard dog my family ever had. i got him when i was 17, and my mom was extremely skeptical, to the point where he wasn't allowed in the house. she eventually got over her fears and accepted him, and was as heartbroken as anyone when he died (of old age). he saved my sorry behind at least twice, and my mom's once, from two muggings and one home invasion. my dog was great with kids. they have an insanely high tolerance for pain, and are patient, so they can take the ear and tail pulling most toddlers dish out. as with any dog, breeding is important, and they need intensive training, because they're bossy things.

VIP Member
    Working dogs, especially sheep herding dogs, make great pets and are fantastic with children. A Collie is a great dog for having around children. Collies are natural herders and will herd whatever is available including (or maybe especially) children. When my daughter was just a toddler we had a Collie. He was as dumb as a post, but nothing or nobody messed with Angie. I have seen him grab the back of her diaper to keep her from going where she wasn't supposed to be. She was headed off the patio once and he just grabbed the diaper and sat her down.

Many people probably don't thing that a Collie would be a good guard dog, but remember what a Collie is - A SHEEPDOG. They herd sheep and protect sheep from two legged and four legged predators. Collies are big dogs and have big bites when they need to use them. Border Collies are a more medium sized dog, but with the same protective instincts.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Jahwarrior no flame here , and imho your on the right track . Despite the bad rep ( which if you think of it most of is due to the qualitys we want for a family dog ) they are fantastic , loveing puppys .

Over the years the best two dogs for protecting family were a small female lab and a 40 lb terrier mix. The Lab was a real lover and a food mooching pro. She also killed a bad news german shepard that tried to attack a child in the front yard. I should say assassinated, the shepard didn't last 5 seconds. No body attacked her family and friends!

The mix breed tolerated strangers but on several dicey situations showed her mettle. She didn't back down from anything.

I've worked around some fantastic pits. Nothing wrong if they are WELL trained. Same for some mastiffs I've known. Any dog that has backbone and intelligence is going to require really good training to become what you want. Not just sit, stay, heel. Some dogs have it naturally but they are few.

Some breeds that I've wanted to explore more as family dogs are Kuvasz and Akita's. They could be worth a look as well. Just explore their less than pleasant common traits as well. Some breeds are known to be difficult trainers, others night barkers, diggers etc.

But dogs, in general, sure seem to have more going for them some times than much of humanity...
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I'll toss two cents worth in here, since we have 9 dogs now, have had as many as 14 at once over the past 20 years of breeding and training.
    I haven't really seen one "top" breed for use around kids, but a pit bull would come in pretty close. Our family members who have kids and dogs all have pit bulls.
    First thing is the dog itself, then the breed (I know... duh). We used to raise Rhodesian Ridgebacks and had six at one time. But, we have no children. Those dogs hated kids and we couldn't allow any little people around our pens. Of course, they'd never ever seen children. For protection of us and our house way out in the sticks, the Ridgebacks were king.
    We're a bit more in a civilized area now and have had very good luck lately with a German Shepherd who seems to get along with all our other critters and is coming along well with training (though due to his size and playfulness could easily hurt a child at this point, just from playing too much).
    Whatever you get, might try a test period if possible so you can see how the dog/pup does around your family.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links