Got a nice hat, but...

Got a nice hat, but...

This is a discussion on Got a nice hat, but... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, I got a box in the mail the other day, and inside I found a really nice hat. This hat was sent to me ...

Thread: Got a nice hat, but...

Got a nice hat, but...

So, I got a box in the mail the other day, and inside I found a really nice hat. This hat was sent to me by the IDPA as a perk for sending them some $ and joining up.

Now, I'm a hat-guy and wear one every minute that I'm out of the house pretty much. In this case I dunno. Seems kinda like not such a good idea to advertise. My gut feeling is to play: "Nope, nobody here but us chickens, cluck cluck." If you understand. Declaring: "Hi, gun-guy here. Pistols are AWESOME!" doesn't seem too low-profile.

What do you all think?

Dale

(it really is an awesome hat, btw.)

I don't wear anything with firearm logos (ok, except the 5.11 vest that I use as a giant tool holder).
    On the other hand, since I wear a cowboy hat, there's not too many of those that have gun insignias either. I don't avoid logos for any particular reason, like trying to fit in or not look like "gun person" - I just really never collected stuff with logos at all outside of Harley.
    Having said that, seems like the whole world has some hat with a logo of something or shirt or whatever, so maybe your IDPA hat would blend in better than my cowboy hat with a horse's tail hanging off of it.....

I use these kind of things as "range hats". I wear them during practice sessions and competitions.

Otherwise its like getting a 511 vest with an NRA logo. Kinda defeats the purpose.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I have range member hats, a SIGarms hat, CCI ammo hat, Glock hat...
    They get worn at the range, sometimes at work.

I'm going to San Francisco in a few weeks, I want to wear the Glock hat just for fun.

I seldom wear any NRA logos in public...the same for all other gun stuff...concealed is concealed...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

99% of the people wouldn't even notice i wear my 500 smith hat all the time and have had 2 people ask in 3years

VIP Member
    I wear NRA, firearms brand, etc. at the range. The only hat I wear in public is this one.

No negative remarks in 4 or 5 years. I don't expect any even from the extreme left. Someone might hear them and then their cover would be broken.
    Last edited by dr_cmg; April 23rd, 2007 at 07:52 PM.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

When I wear a hat, it usually is my OD Team Glock "Gunny" hat. I wear it quite often and have the same hat in digital desert camo on order as we speak! I figure if you are armed, what's it matter if you wear a hat with your iron's logo on it? Like Bud White said - people don't notice anyway! Hell, you could open carry and a vast majority of folks wouldn't notice that either! Who was the member on here that said almost everyday when he goes to work, his 1911 goes "CLANK" against the door facing as he walks thru. He said he doesn't make a big deal about it so therefore - NOBODY ELSE DOES EITHER! The sheeple are oblivious to it all.

Here on my campus, I've actually had COLLEGE INSTRUCTORS ask me "Is that a REAL gun? When did you guys start carrying guns out here? Is it loaded?" Of course, I still get called "SECURITY" on a daily basis, even though I have "POLICE" across my back as big as a billboard!

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I use these kind of things as "range hats". I wear them during practice sessions and competitions.

Otherwise its like getting a 511 vest with an NRA logo. Kinda defeats the purpose.
    +1, I leave my IDPA hat in my range bag, I usually wear ones I get from work out and about, or the nice hat I got free with a bottle of Jim Beam. It's a Robbie Gordon racing hat with Jim Beam Racing on the front.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Range hats are for the range, I have multiple cowboy hats to wear as well as boonie hats for other times.

I had a nice black BERETTA t-shirt that had their trident logo in silver on the front where the breast pocket would be and a HUGE trident logo on the back. I'd wear it to work a few tmes on casual Fridays to see what (if any) reaction I'd get from the predominately-female employees.
    Nobody ever batted an eye or raised a question.

Nobody said a word, but it was (by pure coincidence, I think) banned when a new dress code came out a few months later. I circumvent this by wearing my BERETTA hat to & from work.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Thumbs up March to DC

I'm going to San Francisco in a few weeks, I want to wear the Glock hat just for fun.[/QUOTE]

I think everybody should get a glock hat and go to DC to visit Merion Berry

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I think everybody should get a glock hat and go to DC to visit Merion Berry
    It would be more fun to wear a DEA t-shirt and chase him around the city.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It would be more fun to wear a DEA t-shirt and chase him around the city.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    How many people not interested in guns even know what IDPA stands for????

If that's all that's on the hat, go for it. If it is more, then maybe not. Either way, I'd wear it in a heartbeat. Who cares if someone knows or thinks you have a gun. The only people who'd make the connection would know you are carrying legally, if at all. The people who are gonna freak are the ones who might accidentally see your gun.

Having been a "non-gun" person most of my life, I assure you, that a 5.11 vest, or a "fanny pack" really only screams "camera guy" or "guy stuck in the 80s" to the general public.

It only screams gun to gun people.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Sponsored Links