Attn: All Runners!!!!

This is a discussion on Attn: All Runners!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have not use the Nike system you speak of but I have tried out a Forerunner 201 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142 It worked out well for me, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attn: All Runners!!!!

I have not use the Nike system you speak of but I have tried out a Forerunner 201
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142
    It worked out well for me, after a friend let me use one for a week I could see the benefit of an impartial device closely tracking my workouts in time, speed, and distance. I intend to get one when I get my tax return or I might spend it on a new gun.

A far as boredom:
    Try trail running on more challenging terrain, find a work out partner to help keep the motivation up, group runs, run with a purpose, join a team in training, find an event to train for, and with any type of exercise program set realistic short term goals and some long term goals as well, good luck

http://www.teamintraining.org
    Find local events and other runners
    http://www.active.com/

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I prefer low tech and I have always hated distractions like Walkmans, iPods, etc--they take away from the Zen "no mind" inherent in the run itself. Call me a snob, but I can't see any serious runner using these things--maybe a "jogger" who counts the minutes until the run is over.

I come from "old school" high school X-country/track team training. The run should be an effort that engages the mind. Give me a good old Timex Ironman watch with lap memory and I can record my splits on each mile and copy it into my runner's diary to track my progress.

On the gun thaaang . . . how can one possibly claim to have situational awareness with an iPod blaring in your ears?
    ....now, now, now....some of us are situationally aware and actually run while wearing iPods....not all of us are natural-born Carl Lewises or Bruce Jenners.

I run for distance, keep the iPod low enough that I can hear ambient sounds, and I keep my head "out of the cockpit" and swiveling since drivers in my neighborhood &%^$#%@ don't watch where they are driving and nor yield the right of way.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    I run for distance, keep the iPod low enough that I can hear ambient sounds, and I keep my head "out of the cockpit" and swiveling since drivers in my neighborhood &%^$#%@ don't watch where they are driving and nor yield the right of way.
    In Florida? No way! I thought all the drivers there were very good drivers with excellent reaction times. I drove behind a Cadi from Naples to Tampa at a very safe 45mph, and she told me about a hour in advance she was going to be making a right off the highway.

Back on topic, whos got the toughest iPod out there, and where can I buy one?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I uased to run in the early morning. Watching the sun come up, breathing the crisp air (even knowing it would be 110 in the shade later), and knowing that there were few people seeing what I was seeing... and even fewer doing what I was doing... was a real kick for me.

As far as improvement, there are several factors. Different intensities of exercise, as indicated by heart rate, have different effects. Arobic exercise at 70% (IIRC) MaxHR for your age is most effective at burning fat and calories, less so at increasing cardio-resp endurance. IIRC you have to get to 90% MaxHR for the most effective endurance gains.

IMO the best way to run isn't based on distance, it's based on time. Example: To increase endurance, run for 30 mins. 10 mins at 70%, 10 mins at 90%, and 10 mins at 70% again, then a 10 min walk cool-down. To lose weight, simply run the entire 30 mins at 70%... it has to do with the way your body produces energy, the 70% load utulizes more fat for energy.

Also, last I heard they decided that streching while "cold" is less effective, so not you want to do some warn ups, then strech, then run.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; April 28th, 2007 at 02:23 AM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

VIP Member
    ...good to know Tank...thanks. I hover plus or minus 30 minutes during my runs; I so need a new heart monitor.
    Last edited by srfl; April 28th, 2007 at 12:09 PM.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

The toughest iPods are the flashdrive units, like the iPod shuffle.
    All the real cheap ones with about 512MB are flash, zero moving parts and zero tears if you tread on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Any iPod can be tough... just get one of these cases:
    http://www.yotank.com/

As for getting the iPod, I buy all of mine directly from Apple. Amazon normally has slightly cheaper prices then most other places.

I have been runniong for 27 years, seriously. I ran my first 10K in 1981.

When I run I don't listen to anything. I day dream and think. It is the perfect time to work out all my problems and stress and just relax.

Plus I want to be able to hear things like cars screeching tires and rottweilers toe nails on pavement around me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links