Attn: All Runners!!!!

This is a discussion on Attn: All Runners!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ok well im trying to get into running more and more but i get bored very easy.... so i use my little cheap MP3 player ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attn: All Runners!!!!

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar

Attn: All Runners!!!!

ok well im trying to get into running more and more but i get bored very easy.... so i use my little cheap MP3 player and i jog but i cant see any progress.. so i got to looking and Nike and Ipod came out with this Nike+ system that tracks your progress and uploads automatically to their site...

so is this system worth the MINIMUM of the cost of an IPOD,shoes, and the system... what are you all comments on this one....
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I have a.d.d in a bad way... I change routes often. I'll run through different neighborhoods, woods, parks. I'll even go to the ghetto, its amazing how fast I can do a mile in the ghetto...
    I'll also race myself. I'll make a bet that I can get to point b within x amount of time. I like to find hills and run them, bleacher stairs are always good
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I have that iPod/Nike Sports Kit.....I used a small nylon "change" bag to put the sensor in and hooked it around my sneaker laces. It is just as accurate as using the specially "equipped" Nike sneakers. Here's a photo of "shoe pouches" on Amazon.com....it'll give you a general idea of what I did: http://www.amazon.com/Grantwood-Tech...7388891&sr=8-3 and http://www.amazon.com/Wallet-Shoewal...7388891&sr=8-6

With a little pouch, I can use the kit and the sneakers I want instead of Nikes.

I got my sports kit on Amazon; I had a $25 coupon from Amazon, so I ended up paying only $5.00 for it.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by rangerman2003 View Post
    ok well im trying to get into running more and more but i get bored very easy...
    If you're getting bored on runs, consider this: you might well be jogging, not running. I mean this in a good way.

I used to run a lot, training with a couple of guys who were seriously competitive at the collegiate level. Seriously, when going hard on a run, I found it immensely interesting to focus on what the body was doing. There was very little room for being bored, just trying to keep things together, at that level.

On longer runs, I took the opportunity to let the mind wander over whatever little problem I'd set for myself that day ... whether it was to resolve a work issue, or plan a trip, or fix a relationship, or whatever. On longer, slower, "boring" runs, that was a way to take the mind off the run. Worked very well. I found that $80 shoes, $30 shorts, a watch for heart-rate pacing combined well with a problem to be solved on that run resulted in avoiding boredom.

On the flipside of that coin, I always found the electronic gadgets to detract from the benefit of the run, by taking attention away from the goal.

YMMV.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 24th, 2007 at 03:08 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    its amazing how fast I can do a mile in the ghetto...

I bet its about as fast as someone can run while being shot at

I used to run and cycle but haven't for a few years since I left London. I never used headphones there as I didn't want compromised situational awareness.
    I now live in leafy surburbia near a school track and intend to run again.
    I'm not presented with the same threats as in London - bicycle couriers on the sidewalk, idiotic tourists walking with maps, crackheads, London drivers - but can't make the connection in my mind of feeling safe running with headphones on.
    I have an iPod but only use it at work through speakers, I have a mental disconnect with the isolation of headphones.

If you want to improve your times, try doing intervals 1 day a week. It will seem weird to do a "short" workout but you will see your mile time drop. Never do your interval day the day before or the day after your longest day.
    -Biker

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    You might be interested to read this.

http://www.cs.washington.edu/researc...s/privacy.html

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    I have an iPod but only use it at work through speakers, I have a mental disconnect with the isolation of headphones.
    I use an iPod with ear buds so I can only plug up on ear. Lets me keep some of my hearing and listen to whatever ever it is I want to.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you're getting bored on runs, consider this: you might well be jogging, not running. I mean this in a good way.

I used to run a lot, training with a couple of guys who were seriously competitive at the collegiate level. Seriously, when going hard on a run, I found it immensely interesting to focus on what the body was doing. There was very little room for being bored, just trying to keep things together, at that level.

On longer runs, I took the opportunity to let the mind wander over whatever little problem I'd set for myself that day ... whether it was to resolve a work issue, or plan a trip, or fix a relationship, or whatever. On longer, slower, "boring" runs, that was a way to take the mind off the run. Worked very well. I found that $80 shoes, $30 shorts, a watch for heart-rate pacing combined well with a problem to be solved on that run resulted in avoiding boredom.

On the flipside of that coin, I always found the electronic gadgets to detract from the benefit of the run, by taking attention away from the goal.

YMMV.
    I have to agree.

I was a runner in high school and started up again last fall. I started out slow, just jogging and found myself to get a little bored, but believe me, when I was RUNNING.. I was anything but bored. I was concentrating on breathing, every ache and pain and working hard to push myself to that next goal where I could slow down to a jog again.

Jogging is the thing to get you set for running, and it can be a little tedious. I looked into the whole Nike/iPod set up but said, "screw it." I couldn't see buying a pair of shoes that I might not like just for an iPod. I already have the iPod and what I did was I alternated between songs.

For the first song that played I would fast walk. For the second song that played I would jog. For the third song that played I would walk again.

Each song is about 2-3 minutes long so it was a good way to get myself back into shape again.

Then I walked for one song, jogged for two, walked for one, ran for one, jogged for one, walked for one.

I switched it up whenever I wanted to and it kept things interesting, especially if I just happened to get stuck running on the rare six minute long song. BELIEVE ME, I was not bored. I was DYING waiting for that STUPID song to end. I found I reached my goals faster doing it that way because I did push myself but I didn't push myself too far to where I was hurting myself.

I know that my course is 3 miles long and I timed myself every time to make sure I wasn't digressing instead of progressing.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm NOT a sprinter. I'm a distance runner.

Just take care of your joints (they're they only one's you'll ever have) and don't push yourself too hard.

VIP Member
    I run on average three times a week (up to five on a good week); between three and five miles. The sports kit has helped me pace myself; tell me my half-way points, minutes per mile, total distances, and comparing by accessing the history; all stuff I didn't do before. In short, you can use the sports kit as a real training tool as I do.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I use an iPod with ear buds so I can only plug up on ear. Lets me keep some of my hearing and listen to whatever ever it is I want to.
    That's a good idea, thanks.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    ok well i bought the ipod and sport kit today... now what about arm bands or where do you all put this while running??
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Administrator
    I tow a wagon while running. I put the kids and a cooler along with my entertainment system.

Really though I am a bit of a simpleton, ipod and P32 clips in my wasteband, ID card goes in my sock and I'm off.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I prefer low tech and I have always hated distractions like Walkmans, iPods, etc--they take away from the Zen "no mind" inherent in the run itself. Call me a snob, but I can't see any serious runner using these things--maybe a "jogger" who counts the minutes until the run is over.

I come from "old school" high school X-country/track team training. The run should be an effort that engages the mind. Give me a good old Timex Ironman watch with lap memory and I can record my splits on each mile and copy it into my runner's diary to track my progress.

On the gun thaaang . . . how can one possibly claim to have situational awareness with an iPod blaring in your ears?
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links