Start my second job on Friday

This is a discussion on Start my second job on Friday within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, about two or three months ago now I started going to the range/gun shop on a weekly basis. After about my third week the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

So, about two or three months ago now I started going to the range/gun shop on a weekly basis. After about my third week the manager there asked me if I wanted a job and gave me a application to take home and think over.

I filled it out, and finally took it back last week.

I was kind of surprised not to get a call, but oh well, I headed up there again tonight and did my thing. The manager caught me and said, "Did you get a call today?"
    I told him I had not.
    He said, "Oh, no problem, just hang out a little after you're done tonight cause we want to interview you."
    I tried to pay for my range time and he said, "Nope. It's on the house."

Wonderful!

I felt kind of bad because I was dressed in grungy range clothes and knew I'd be worse off when I came off the range, but such is the curse of impromptu interviews.

When I was done I met with the owner and I had the most comfortable interview I've ever been in.

The opening question was, "What were you shooting tonight?"

The entire interview consisted of gun talk and he tried to throw in a few trick questions about SA vs DA and a few other things like different rifle questions and 1911 talk (which I had already told the manager was my primary weapon of choice).

He stood up, shock my hand and welcomed me to the "team."

Apparently I'm only the second or third girl to ever work in the gun department of that store. I think that's pretty neat.

I know almost all of the guys that work there and think this is going to be a fun/educational experience. My husband is already drilling me on the different types of long guns and instructing me in all things technical.

I get free range time out of it so that is one great perk.

Yeah Me!

I'm thinking of this as my gun job to support my gun habit. I didn't realize how much money ammo ate up until I started sending so much of it down range. Now I can support it a little better.
    Last edited by limatunes; April 24th, 2007 at 11:46 PM.

Congrats Limatune! Working in a range/gunstore sure doesn't seem like work; do they really pay you? I have an idea they are lucky to get you!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Congratulations!

I think I would be working for free after buying more toys.

Free range time or discounts for employees?

What about for spouses?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    Congratulations!

I think I would be working for free after buying more toys.

Free range time or discounts for employees?

What about for spouses?
    Free range time for employees. They manager met my husband and said they'd work something out for him as well to get him free range time. They've already given him free range time at least once (but I think it was an accident).

There is no real discount but I can buy guns at "cost" or what they would buy them for. That's something!

VIP Member
    Congratulations. That would be the kind of second job I would like my wife to get. She just sent in a resignation for her fourth job, so I can't complain. I've been asking her to quit it for months.

I hope you enjoy the work and am sure you will enjoy the free range time and the great discounts.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Congrats, sounds like a fun job and good benefits.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Awesome! I would be afraid I would spend more than I made. I recently traded the local indoor range for a gravel pit because the gun rentals made me want more guns! Congrats and God bless, HOLYROLLER.

Congrats!

sounds like a great job.. and you can't beat free range time, or getting stuff at cost..

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Congradulations. Even if they paid you in ammo it sure would be worth having as a second job.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Dang...I am pretty darn jealous! Wish I could get a second job at a Gun Shop / range.

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Great news. I think you just landed the "job of the month!"

VIP Member
    Excellent.....congrats. I used to work at a rifle/pistol range in NJ for a couple of years....free range time, patrons letting me shoot their guns, and I got paid?

What wasn't to like about that job? (Oh yeah...occasional knuckleheads, but thankfully there were in vast minority.)
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    Congradulations. Even if they paid you in ammo it sure would be worth having as a second job.
    That's what my husband said.. "Ask 'em if they can just pay you in ammo." LOL.. Although he also admonished me not to use my lunch hours on the range too often..lol. I can see how this would be tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    What wasn't to like about that job? (Oh yeah...occasional knuckleheads, but thankfully there were in vast minority.)
    Isn't this the truth.

I was shooting last night and two punks came in with rifle targets and put them at the seven yard mark (range rules expressly forbid rifle targets any closer than fifteen yards). These kids were shooting as fast and as furiously as they could pull the trigger and not hitting a darned thing. The safest place to be if you were a bad guy confronting these two would be right in front of them.

They got kicked off the range REAL quick.

Senior Moderator
    I want a job at the range.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I was offered a part time job at a range and declined. Before anyone questions my sanity I will say this in my defense, it was a voluntary position at the TN Wildlife outdoor range here, it's only open weekends and they don't sell ammo so the only perk would be free range time. The downside is I would've kissed my weekends goodbye and I didn't want that. Also the range is one that operates on a hot/cold basis, so lots of checking and watching of protocol is involved. IMO more chances for a mistake than an automated target range where nobody goes in front of the firing line.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links