Political correctness gone awry

Political correctness gone awry

This is a discussion on Political correctness gone awry within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The idiots ARE in charge. CARY, Ill. -- An 18-year-old high school student faces disorderly conduct charges for writing an essay that authorities described as ...

Thread: Political correctness gone awry

The valley of the sun scorched earth(Phx,Az)

Unhappy Political correctness gone awry

The idiots ARE in charge.

CARY, Ill. -- An 18-year-old high school student faces disorderly conduct charges for writing an essay that authorities described as violent and disturbing.

Allen Lee, a senior at Cary-Grove High School, was arrested near his northern Illinois home after penning the in-class writing assignment Monday. The assignment had been to use poetic conventions to express ideas and emotions.

"At the very last sentence, I said that this teacher's method of teaching could lead to a school shooting," Lee said Wednesday. He said he'd intended the entire essay as a joke.

After reading the essay, his teacher alerted the school's principal, and district officials reported it to the police.

"The writing assignment depicted violence, was disturbing and inappropriate, but did not contain any specific locations or names," Cary police Chief Ron Delelio said.

Police have declined to release a copy of the essay.

"It raised some flags," said Jeff Puma, a District 155 spokesman. "I think, in this case, the teacher chose to err on the side of caution and, I think, rightly so."

Allen Lee has been removed from the school and faces disciplinary action, Puma said.

Lee, who was arrested Tuesday, posted $75 bond. He is scheduled to appear in court June 18.

Albert Lee said his son was not suspended or expelled but is attending classes somewhere else for the time being.

"I understand what happened recently at Virginia Tech," said Albert Lee, referencing last week's shooting of 32 students by gunman Seung-Hui Cho. "I understand the situation."

But he also defended his son as a straight-A student who was following instructions for the assignment.

Ed Yohnka, spokesman for the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois, said an essay done for homework would ordinarily be "protected speech."

"He turned it in to a teacher. He didn't post it online," he said. "It's not a communication between him and the broader world."

On Wednesday, students at the school showed support for Lee with a petition drive to let him back into school
    Last edited by KMBRTAC45; April 26th, 2007 at 05:00 PM. Reason: remove link, add article
    NRA Life Member USCCA Member

Freedoms Precious Metals:Gold, Silver and Lead

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

That's the typical sheeple knee jerk reaction.

Restrict rights and go after innocent people in a "feel good" effort.

Not any different from them kicking a kid out of school for drawing a picture of a gun.

I think we can see which way our hand basket is heading.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    It's asking me to register, any chance of posting the jist of the story?
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    It's asking me to register, any chance of posting the jist of the story?
    Same for me.

Looks like a lot of people are jumpy after the recent VA shooting. The kid showed a lack of judgement and poor taste. I agree that the outcome is a little harsh but whos to knowthat it wasn't the real thing The kid knew this was a hot subject and used poor judgement. mabe if the teachers at VA had done the same thing the shootings might not have happened.

expulsion and an arrest for disorderly conduct? for an essay for a class? smells orwellian to me, how about you guys?

Here it is again.. The government doing what it wants. Give up all rights for security.
    He didn’t threaten anyone. Just wrote a paper that he was required to write. Hell, the way it’s going, if you fart it will be a biological attack! You’ll get thrown into Getmo for life. It’s getting time for this government to move aside. Thank you Bush and Chaney for all of this mess.

TC_FLA: You just wrote about B*** on the webnets, the black helicopters are on the way...

I bet your right! Funny though, I work for him (DoD), hell, he'll never find me! Lol... Every day, he seems to have that "Far away" look in his eyes more and more. Shame, we have almost two years left of him in office with not a candidate out there worth his weight in brain cells to take over and fix what his presidency has done to this country.

"At the very last sentence, I said that this teacher's method of teaching could lead to a school shooting," Lee said Wednesday. He said he'd intended the entire essay as a joke.
    Particularly in a week when just such a shooting occurred, writing such a thing wasn't the brightest maneuver. The writer should expect someone to jump on him, for that. Had he intended it to not go awry, ask why exactly he didn't write "not serious / only a joke" on the paper. Idiot? Yes.

PC gone awry? I'd say: while it can be made certain his actions don't amount to much, separating him from the flock is a sensible step. Were it to be blind sentencing, now that would be PC gone away.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Arresting a teen aged boy for a "lack of judgement and poor taste" would fill the judicial system with every teenage boy in the country!

Maybe next time he will write about his first group sex encounter with a his writing teacher and school officials and they will get thrown in jail.

Ignorance can be fixed by education, but only God can fix stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Looks like a lot of people are jumpy after the recent VA shooting. The kid showed a lack of judgement and poor taste. I agree that the outcome is a little harsh but whos to knowthat it wasn't the real thing The kid knew this was a hot subject and used poor judgement. mabe if the teachers at VA had done the same thing the shootings might not have happened.
    definitely agreed that it was poor judgment, however, by saying maybe if the teacher in va did this or that ....you're effectively putting the onus on them instead of where it squarely belonged.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Arresting a teen aged boy for a "lack of judgement and poor taste" would fill the judicial system with every teenage boy in the country!
    Isn't this the truth. If I had a dime for every teenage boy I knew who showed poor judgment (or for every teen, boy OR girl) I could retire in southern California tomorrow.

Sponsored Links