I made the paper. :o) in a good way.

This is a discussion on I made the paper. :o) in a good way. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yeah, I know I'm not the prettiest and its a small rural paper but its always neat to see your pic in the paper. I'm ...

Thread: I made the paper. :o) in a good way.

I made the paper. :o) in a good way.

Yeah, I know I'm not the prettiest and its a small rural paper but its always neat to see your pic in the paper. I'm the one on the left in the picture.

Yeah, I took all the names of the people and the dept. just in case. I don't know if its needed but I did it anyway. :)

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

2. Remove Ads

Nice.
    Do you get special training on using JOL on hybrids?
    We had a Toyota Prius hybrid a few years back and the dealer said that due to the voltage on board we shouldn't expect FDs to cut us out as it can kill them. Has that changed at all?

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Nice.
    Do you get special training on using JOL on hybrids?
    We had a Toyota Prius hybrid a few years back and the dealer said that due to the voltage on board we shouldn't expect FDs to cut us out as it can kill them. Has that changed at all?
    We haven't been given any special training, no. It would be nice. Hybrids are really popular in this area but there are some. I know we won't get close to a hybrid on fire due to all the battery acid.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Props on actually having all your PPE on and in place.

As far as hybrids go, yes, they can kill. Never cut the big orange cables... for a Prius, those are carrying 440VAC to the electric motor and can get you dead in a hurry.

Of course, all vehicle extrication is getting more and more dangerous, hybrid or not. It's now even more important to strip all the trim in the A/B/C pillars and roofline due to stored gas cylinders for side curtain airbags. The dash may also hold such cylinders for knee airbags (some cars have 16 bags in total, with only the driver and passenger "primary" airbags being chemical/silver azide... the rest are stored gas). Those little cylinders are 3K-5Kpsi... I've seen pictures from overseas where a firefighter lost a large chunk of his face (sheared his nose off, essentially) thanks to perforating one of those cylinders.

Our training was a 20 page black-and-white manual with crappy (unusable) pictures. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by tvsjr View Post
    Props on actually having all your PPE on and in place.

As far as hybrids go, yes, they can kill. Never cut the big orange cables... for a Prius, those are carrying 440VAC to the electric motor and can get you dead in a hurry.

Of course, all vehicle extrication is getting more and more dangerous, hybrid or not. It's now even more important to strip all the trim in the A/B/C pillars and roofline due to stored gas cylinders for side curtain airbags. The dash may also hold such cylinders for knee airbags (some cars have 16 bags in total, with only the driver and passenger "primary" airbags being chemical/silver azide... the rest are stored gas). Those little cylinders are 3K-5Kpsi... I've seen pictures from overseas where a firefighter lost a large chunk of his face (sheared his nose off, essentially) thanks to perforating one of those cylinders.

Our training was a 20 page black-and-white manual with crappy (unusable) pictures. Meh.
    We have gone over the side air bad problem. We saw those same pics I believe. They are freaky.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Administrator

Thumbs up Congrats! Nice Pic.

You're lookin' real good.

Watch yer little fingers now around those Jaws Of Life.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Fame at last!

Good pic - and good work too
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    That's good stuff. We had the Holmatro setup. They let you keep the beard/goatee?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Nice. At the station I used to roll with, if you got on TV or in the paper, you had to buy everyone ice cream.

How about it?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    That's good stuff. We had the Holmatro setup. They let you keep the beard/goatee?
    The small town look Good job clipse
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Do you get special training on using JOL on hybrids? ... due to the voltage on board we shouldn't expect FDs to cut us out as it can kill them.
    What a shock. That isn't a strong selling point of the things, not by a long shot.

To firemen everywhere: thank you for the tough, dangerous and critically-important job you do. It's much appreciated! Stay safe, even when you're leaping from building to building, diving into situations that would give the untrained pause. Kudos!

I still have memories of just how quickly the crew responded to a vehicle crash on a remote mountain road. A friend died, and his wife (passenger) had to be extricated from the car. They made the 10 milie trip in 9 minutes from the report of the crash, and that through a hellacious rain storm on dangerous mountain roads. They extracted the passenger without damage, though the driver had been killed on impact. They were professional, skilled, helpful and able to help me (the friend and witness of it all) through a very tough hour. I'm glad there are such motivated, skilled and capable people amongst us. Ain't it the truth.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 29th, 2007 at 08:01 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It is nice to get your picture in the paper. Too bad they didn't print your name or other information and printed those black boxes instead - otherwise people may not believe it is you.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

Links