Anyone use AVG anti-virus software free version?

This is a discussion on Anyone use AVG anti-virus software free version? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My Norton subscription is about to expire and to be honest, I don't much want to renew it. It slows the computer down and takes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Norton subscription is about to expire and to be honest, I don't much want to renew it. It slows the computer down and takes forever to load up when I turn the computer on in the morning.

I have heard some good things about AVG and would like to hear from anyone who uses it for their virus protection. Is it really a good platform? Supported well?
    And, where do I go to download the free version? I have been to the AVG website but can't figure out how to download it. I read the license agreement and I never see an "accept" key to hit.

Thanks ahead of time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hey Mike how are you ...I use it for about 2 yrs just make sure you make the updates and open a 2nd email since they will ask you to subscribe to some email things... but it work pretty good...
    when I got the new PC it came with a 2yrs service so...I dont use it now
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I use AVG on every computer I touch. I use it exclusively at home, and when I need to use a work PC, I install it if it's not already - on top of whatever they already have (Norton, McAffee, etc.). It usually catches something that the big names didn't.

Here's a link for you - at the bottom of the third column is the download link.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/free/0/0/0

I used AVG until I went to a Mac, it's a good utility.
    Also, try these freeware links. LINK
    Particularly recommend using Spybot on that list.

I used to use AVG. Great protection. I've gone to ZoneAlarm for the user interface since.

as a Mac user, I can't provide any help from that stand point.. I can tell you that while I was doing tech support for a unnamed ISP, AVG is what I would recommend to people even though said ISP offered their customers a free copy of McAfee.

As has been stated earlier, it does seem to catch things the "big boys" don't (I think thats more of a it catches them before they do), which I think is because AVG provides more frequent updates to its definition files. I'd suggest setting its auto update feature (I think it still has one) to check daily, or at the bare minimum weekly for updates..

VIP Member
    I use AVG on all my computers except my server. The only reason I don't use it there is the free version does not support it. I have never had a virus problem and I have been using AVG on some of my units for over 5 years.

I also use Zone Alarm, WinPatrol, and HitMan Pro to protect my computers.
    Zone Alarm - firewall
    WinPatrol - Registry security
    HitMan Pro - Spyware and malware control It runs 5 or 6 of the major free anti-spyware programs automatically.

One other thing. If AVG reports a trojan, worm, or virus that cannot be removed without a removal tool don't go to AVG to get the tool. Grisoft will want you to buy and update to get the tool. Instead go to http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/s...movaltools.jsp and get one from Symantec free. If they don't have one try McAfee.

There are some great free utilities for individual users out there. The make their money by selling to businesses, but they also offer fuller versions to individuals. If you need the fuller version get it, but if you don't there is no reason to pay extra.

Great sources of info on all sorts of computer things are:
    Langa List is not longer published, but the database still contains a wealth of knowledge.
    Windows Secrets free email newsletter. Fred Langa of the above is now editor here. They combined in 2006.
    PC Pitstop online info and free newsletter.
    Gizmo Richard's Tech Support Alert online info and free newsletter.

Windows Secrets and Gizmo's Tech Support Alert both offer fuller paid versions of their newsletters as well.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

AVG is hands down the best virus solution available. I do IT support and maintenance and use it exclusively. It has a much smaller footprint than Norton (which has such deleterious effects on system performance that I consider it to be worse than many viruses) and as has been mentioned before, it catches things that Norton doesn't.

Dr_cmg; unlike most other AV programs which charge upwards of several hundred dollars for their server version, AVG offers the Network Edition which goes for something like $35 per computer, any of which can be running server software. It's worth checking out if you run any flavor of Windows Server.

Joe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    Dr_cmg; unlike most other AV programs which charge upwards of several hundred dollars for their server version, AVG offers the Network Edition which goes for something like $35 per computer, any of which can be running server software. It's worth checking out if you run any flavor of Windows Server.

Joe
    Joe, I've been using ClamWin AV on my W2K server for about 18 months or so with good success. It works fine, but is not as clean as AVG. I considered the AVG network edition, but since I run W2K server that I replaced at the college I work for (when I was director of IT) on a server that I replaced there. It is an old Compaq running 2 500mhz Pentium 2s with 1 gig of RAM and 4 9GB ultra wide SCSI drives and a 24 gig DAT all that were replaced at the college. And since I paid $100 for the whole setup which included another server just like it I didn't really think it was economically reasonable to spend any real money on it. The second server provided the second processor, 512 MB RAM and two of the drives. There was only one DAT drive. I still have a spare MB, SCSI controller, etc in the other case.

I use the system simply as a file server. There is no data on any of my other computers. All data is on the server which is backed up at least once per week. I don't do much that I could not live without so when I do I run a back up over night. Apps are all still on the original CDs and a backup copy. I have told people over and over that it is not a question of if your hd will go bad but when. That's why I keep the server backed up. I also test a backup tape about once per month to make sure I can recover from it. So the price was right and I have at least 3 years of use so far out of this server and if it goes out I probably have the parts to fix it. BTW, I also have the other two just like it stored away at school so if I can't fix it with what I have I can invest another $100 and get two more complete systems. We replaced all four at the same time during my last months in IT and I was able to make some special arrangements with the business office. Hey, the business manager agreed that $100 in the hand was better than 4 opsolete servers in the computer grave yard. He also agreed that I could put the other two aside in a secure area in case I ever need them. If I get another couple of years out of what I've got I'll likely buy a couple of later model replaced servers.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Thanks guys.

I downloaded it and will be testing it out.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Usually the free ware software pickup more stuff and don't mess with your computer as much as the programs that need subscriptions. Usually you get what you pay for, but not necessarily in this case.

i've had it for a month now, i like it. another option you might want to try is Avast antivirus.

I paid for Norton for several years and when I had to have a new computer, it cam with McAfree.

The free AVG does a better job and does not suck all the power out of the computer as the others did.

I have never had a virus or any other problem and I have DSL and my computer stays on 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i've had it for a month now, i like it. another option you might want to try is Avast antivirus.
    +1 on the Avast. I used to use AVG and it worked fine. After a year or so, it popped up saying it was no longer free. I switched to Avast (every bit as good) but it appears Grisoft changed their minds, since I see AVG still has the free version. Either one works.

My parents used Norton for years ... kept up the subscriptions and everything but still kept having problems (my parents do all the real dumb things to like click on links in popup windows and download gadgets and toolbars).

Anyway, installed AVG on their machine and uninstalled Norton ... it found 60 viruses that Norton had missed.

So AVG plus moving my parents to Firefox and Thunderbird (and teaching them some basic "dos and don'ts) has kept their machine clean for the last couple of years.

AVG also has a real cool anti-rootkit program for free, and their new Anti-Spyware software is AWESOME. You can run it free for a month but I'd say its worth the $40 or so they're asking for it (it'll still work for free after the month, but won't do the auto update or "protect" functions).

http://free.grisoft.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links