Proud Papa moment

Proud Papa moment

This is a discussion on Proud Papa moment within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I didn’t get to sneak down to my shooting spot till Sunday afternoon around 5:00. Thought I was going to miss this weekend, I try ...

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Talking Proud Papa moment

I didn’t get to sneak down to my shooting spot till Sunday afternoon around 5:00. Thought I was going to miss this weekend, I try to shoot at least a box a weekend. After shooting a couple of mags, I heard my wife hollering to me. I answered, she said I had a visitor, and needed to know if I had extra ear protection, I answered that I did, and to send them on down. I was fully expecting to see my neighbor who I had noticed was in town by seeing his car in his driveway, but hadn't been able to catch up with him. I was shocked when It was my wife and our son following directly behind.

They had come outside so he could shoot his water pistol, and heard me shooting, after my wife explained that the noise was daddy shooting his gun, he wanted to see. This surprised us both, he had been very scared of loud noise. Something I was sure he would grow out of.

So my wife sat on a stump a ways back from where I was shooting, our little man sitting in her lap, we secured the hearing protection, and I loaded up firing one shot, glancing back to my wife, she gave me the "it's okay, keep shooting" nod, so I went on to shoot about 40 or so more shots, He sat there and watched the whole thing. My wife said he never flinched one time, not even the first shot. he was all to happy to help me pick up the "bullets" after I was done. we'll work on the terminoligy as we go.

Now he is really asking when we can get him a gun that he can come down there and shoot. I have a feeling he might be a 1911 fan, he did some time back choose which "Kimber" he liked the best off of the back of a magazine. "Daddy, you get the black, I want the silver one".

I guess it's time for an air soft gun, maybe a long gun to make it easier to hold steady. I have been working with him when he shoots his suction cup guns in his room, starting on the 4 Rules, and a little bit about aiming. I think it will be some time before he can get the one eye closed thing down. Why do I feel that my 10-22 and colt single action .22 just got claimed. Oh well, they were going to be his soon enough anyway.

All this make for one proud papa.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

JD
    Administrator

Thumbs up

Ahhhhh, that warm and fuzzy feeling is crawling all over me.

You know, it's hearing stories like this that get me all nostalgic about my first shooting trips with Dad.

Sounds like you had a good day.

A little .22 is just what the boy needs, how old is he?

Assistant Administrator
    Fuzzies here too Mike - great to read that.

Seems like there will be a natural progression over time, which IMO is best way. Bit by bit add the details so as to build up an eventual competent shooter.

For sure if the loud noise fear is gone then it's all speed ahead and glad you are getting those 4 rules embedded - that is essential.

How well I recall my kids at the range in early days ... oh my - the nostalgia.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My criteria for being 'old enough' to shoot with my kids was: (1) Shows an interest in doing so, (2) Has the 4 rules memorized, (3) Has shown that they are capable of following directions reliably.

One of my daughters didn't start shooting until she was 12, one started when she was 8. It's something that has to be independently judged with each child.

From the photo, I'd put this young one around 4?? Looks like he's got the desire! As soon as he demonstrates that he can do so safely, I say let the kid shoot!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member
    Good stuff. Start them early so that they are prepared for the antigun stupidity that they will encounter as soon as they start school. Be proud of your son.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    My criteria for being 'old enough' to shoot with my kids was: (1) Shows an interest in doing so, (2) Has the 4 rules memorized, (3) Has shown that they are capable of following directions reliably.
    My thoughts exactly, He is 3-1/2 now, that's why I was so suprised. I'm thinking about a smaller air soft gun to try out. The B.B. guns or bigger won't come out till he can do it all himself, loading, aiming, while following the 4 rules to a tee. I don't think this will be a permanent thing just yet, still a bit young to have been fully "bitten by the bug" IMO and the attention span hasn't fully developed yet. But if he is interested, I'll go with it and see. We can try out a little air soft gun on some paper with out spending a lot of money, yet still give him a taste of what it's like and a chance to play with daddy.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Links