Global Warming

This is a discussion on Global Warming within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; i dont care what your views are on global warming, i believe there is a movie here that everyone should watch. search utube for "the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming

Global Warming

i dont care what your views are on global warming, i believe there is a movie here that everyone should watch.
    search utube for "the great global warming swindell"
    watch all 9 parts. you may just be surprised.
    :peace:

2. Remove Ads

I've Been Around Long Enough...

to remember the 'Coming Ice Age' back in the 70's...it's all B#!! S#!!...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I prefer "climate change". Its normal, natural, and not a dang thing that man can do to stop it. Climate change is forever in motion.

As far as natural disasters and catastrophies, well being in the construction industry I kind of look forward to those. It means more work. Twisted way of looking at things, huh?

No I don't feel dirty for saying that.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I'm undecided about climate change, on the one hand, if true, it will be a disaster for people all around the world as populations surge and habitable land decreases and storms increase in intensity...
    but on the other hand...

Spinal Tap have agreed to reform and play the Live Earth concerts on 07/07/07.

It's true!!!

Maybe we won't hear everyone drowning when the mighty Tap turn it back up to 11.

as, a materials engineer (or at least soon to be) i can tell you that any freaking "real" scientist out there will tell you that carbon dioxide is an effect of an increase in temperature. liquids absorb gases at lower temperatures and release them at higher temperatures. our scientific research no a days is being driven by media and politics.
    again. please watch the video. its very educational
    Last edited by friesepferd; April 30th, 2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo. ment to say releases at hotter temps. not colder

Yep, you best listen to those 'freaking real scientists' guys.
    I'll stick with the freaking real Tap though.

VIP Member
    Earth's temperature has fluctuated so much that to say that it will be destroyed because it is one degree higher than 200 years ago is asinine.
    14.85 ºC is the average temp of the planet now. It has reached over 40 ºC and the darn sphere is still standing & spinning. Continents have shifted, meteorites and asteroids impacted and the big blue marble is still here.
    To say that humans can destroy it is just saying we are more powerful than Nature. Problem is Mama Nature reminds us every so often how little and powerless we are in reality.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    as, a materials engineer (or at least soon to be) i can tell you that any freaking real scientist out there will tell you that carbon dioxide is an effect of an increase in temperature. liquids absorb gases at lower temperatures and release them at colder temperatures. our scientific research no a days is being driven by media and politics.
    again. please watch the video. its very educational
    Ummm, sorry to nitpick here, but WATER "absorbs" more gas at low temperature and "releases" it at HIGHER temperatures. Which is part of the snowball effect predicted by the gloom & doom global warming chicken-littles. As for whether I buy into the ala Al Gore global warming theories, obviously not. However there is a heck alot of "real science" behind global warming, and the trend of the carbon-cycle is not good right now, and certainly not sustainable for a prolonged period of time. Just how long "prolonged" is, I don't think anyone can predict at this point. And, I would agree that anyone that's proposing that there is any certainty that the current trends are a result of global warming, and not natural climate fluctuations is full of excrement.

But anyone that with equal "certainty" that states there is no global warming is equally full of excrement. They're denying a simple cause and effect relationship. More carbon emmisions and decrease in carbon-fixing flora equates to increased atmospheric greenhouse gas.
    Last edited by blueyedevil; April 30th, 2007 at 10:53 PM. Reason: grammar

There is no longer any substantial disagreement in legitimate scientific circles regarding the global warming trend and that humans are affecting it. There is substantial disagreement among fiction writers, those with political agendas, and people who just don't like Al Gore.

The great thing about a free country is you can make your own choice to ignore the science. The global climate, however, won't care.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I read that man-made carbon emissions worldwide only account for 4% of the total. That includes breathing. If we assume that the United States is responsible for 25% of the world's carbon emissions annually, then that means if America ceased to exist tomorrow, including every American ceasing to breath, the world would be 1% better off on annual carbon emissions.

The Earth was here getting along just fine long before we were here, and it'll be here and thriving long after we're all dead.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Earth's temperature has fluctuated so much that to say that it will be destroyed because it is one degree higher than 200 years ago is asinine.
    Earth surviving isn't at issue, obviously the Earth will prevail. It is the thin ecosystem stretched out on it's surface like the skin on an apple that is at risk.
    Changes occur incrementally. As the temperature rises by one percent it facilitates further increases, it is easier to continue increasing once you have momentum.
    We won't all die in a tidal wave, New York won't become a desert. But it is probable that in our lifetime Florida will get smaller, crops will have to be moved and Alaska will become a major tourist destination. It's already happening in Europe where Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland) are investing heavily in tourist infrastructure based on better summers.
    I'm not an apocalypse believer, I am however open to scientific opinion and theory.
    In the Bangladesh Ganges delta, an area that struggles to average one meter above sea level, many of the islands that were habitated are now gone. The maps will change and we'll adapt. I think it is safe to say that it is largely out of our hands and all we can do is watch events unfold.

Buy a house on a hill.

VIP Member
    0.02 you are correct. And it is all part of an ever changing system that will continue long after we, as species, are gone.
    But you listen to the Eco-Druids and their message is that the planet will explode in billions of pieces and whatnots. And what really ticks me off is that all that money and effort is being wasted in crap we cannot control instead of being used in the things we can change and make our lives improve.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Do we realize how many billions of dollars will be made if the public can be convinced that people are the cause of global warming?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Do we realize how many billions of dollars will be made if the public can be convinced that people are the cause of global warming?
    Ri-i-i-ight. It's a vast money-making eco-cartel conspiracy. You betcha. Just like discounting belief in it is a vast money-making petro-cartel conspiracy.

Belief in it or lack of belief in it doesn't change the science.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I think we are going through a normal cycle like the ice age. Things change and people adapt to the changes. I agree that man has to some extent contributed to making the change happen sooner. At this point I think it is out of our hands as to what will happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links