I may take a break.

I may take a break.

This is a discussion on I may take a break. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I might not be around too much over the next few weeks. It is not an editorial comment on my friends here. Rather, as I ...

Thread: I may take a break.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar

I may take a break.

I might not be around too much over the next few weeks. It is not an editorial comment on my friends here. Rather, as I enter the new riding seaon, I'm taking stock of my own goals and ideals. I want to be honest here.

I am having trouble with searching for positive goals in my marriage, religion and business, and then jamming hollow-points into a magazine for a combat firearm. I wonder if the gleam of a finely crafted weapon isn't obscuring my focus for growth.

As I just stated to another friend, I need a 'walk about.'

Oh, I love the computer, I feel it's great to get e-mails and I truly enjoy chatting up clients. I'll lurk, I still wait anxiously to hear your banter, but this is more of a personal walk.

I think breaking my hand started this. I had to find new ways of working, viewing my motorcycle, traveling, feeding the pups and even sleeping. (If I don't wear my splint to bed because it's uncomfortable, will I roll on my hand and deform the healing bones?)

Perhaps it was a good thing.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    I am having trouble with searching for positive goals in my marriage, religion and business, and then jamming hollow-points into a magazine for a combat firearm. I wonder if the gleam of a finely crafted weapon isn't obscuring my focus for growth.
    Do you mean you are taking a break only from the forum, or firearms also? I can understand taking a break from the forum. I often donít have time to post, and some times not even time to lurk.

If you are talking about taking break from firearms in general, I donít understand that. To me it is a way of life, not a hobby. Itís the Warrior lifestyle. And I donít believe it interferes with my religion (or spiritual side) at all. One of my favorite Bible versus isÖ"Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." Psalm 144:1

I apologize if I misunderstood you, but either way I wish you the best and hope you find the direction you are searching for. Itís always important to evaluate your life and priorities.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    Do you mean you are taking a break only from the forum, or firearms also? I can understand taking a break from the forum. I often donít have time to post, and some times not even time to lurk.

If you are talking about taking break from firearms in general, I donít understand that. To me it is a way of life, not a hobby. Itís the Warrior lifestyle. And I donít believe it interferes with my religion (or spiritual side) at all. One of my favorite Bible versus isÖ"Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." Psalm 144:1

I apologize if I misunderstood you, but either way I wish you the best and hope you find the direction you are searching for. Itís always important to evaluate your life and priorities.
    I have to agree with you 100%. I've walked away from other forums for a variety of reasons and health or injury is certainly an excellent reason!

But I could no longer stop being a Sheepdog (http://www.blackfive.net/main/2004/1..._hang_wit.html) than I could voluntarily give up breathing...permanently.

I'm a Christian and I figure that the Good Lord made me to be exactly who I am with all my strengths (& weaknesses), interests, skills and drives for a reason. One of my church elders is also an IDPA competitor in my club and a certifed range safety officer. He also carries in Church with the full knowledge of the pastoral staff and their blessings, btw. When I go to a late service or to my Bible study, I carry and think it's a Godly thing to do. I see no conflicts there.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    JT,

Sorry to confuse you. And sorry to respond so late. I just got home from work and found the notification in my e-mail. That's the last thing I want to convey, that is, taking a break from friends.

As for guns, no, that's not what I meant. They are all still here.

But let me say this, after collecting eveything for +/-30 years, it's the people who have value to me. If my wife came to me now concerned about bills, and she does worry too much, I'd sell a rifle to ease her mind. In the old days I might talk her down from the yips to save the gun.

Same with "people touching my stuff." Not all that long ago I wouldn't even let you cut something with one of my knives, even if I was standing there.

Now, stuff is just "things." If I got an e-mail from Betty saying, "I have to go into Madison to meet with SWAT distributors, and we're flying so no weapons," there would be a Glock and a tactical knife waiting for her at the hotel lobby. People are worth more than stuff.

But these are parallel issues, related but not the main thrust.

I noticed I was dosing in church, I noticed that all I ever talked to my wife about was business and when it came to people in general, I'd pick my Bichon pups. I heard wannabees go into deep discourse about their 'warrior codes' when I knew in my heart your average drunken cowboy would smack them through the cigarette machine--for fun. I was in disconnect.

So I barfed out the truth this morning where it needed to do the most good. My wife is on vacation with her sister in Vegas, but I made sure I called to tell her I'm thinking of her and the pups got extra cuddles. I won't bore or offend you with my spiritual side, but I took care of that, too.

I'm not leaving anyone, but I am re-focusing. Yes, I always dump a few forums, but I like it here and I want to stay. The problem is that I might not seem as supportive, and I do not wish to convey neglect.

You might say, "Gee, that's a spot where Chico should have taken advantage of a cheap laugh, where's he at?"

I'm just getting things straight. As I said, I'll lurk over latte' in the morning, but other needs must be met. Friends always come first, so e-mail me for troubles you're having.

Remember, it's a "walk about," and it's not a "walk out."

VIP Member
    Keep the shiney side up, and keep searching.

Godspeed.

-Scott-

i understand completely sometimes ya just need a chage of venue and a brake

VIP Member
    Going outside and getting fresh air is always a good thing. I see the bikers are out in full force now that the weather's getting warmer. If you ever bike my way, you're welcome to stop by.

As for your marriage, sometimes time away helps you think about things and reminds you of why you were drawn to your wife in the first place. You can come up with new things so the relationship doesn't stagnate beyond repair.

As for forums, the great thing about them is that you can log out and walk away, and come back whenever you're ready. We'll keep your seat warm. :veryhappy

I'm enjoying my new leaf - this new year brings many good things after several years of so-so, bad, and second-rate things. It's good to go on walkabout and rediscover yourself.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    Refocussing - yep - that can be good - necessary even.

Time to chill a bit - step back - take stock of where things are and... what may be the next moves forward. All good at times.

I am lusting for my biking - it will very soon become a big item, even tho I have managed odd trips out even now. Once weather better tho - wife and I will be off - 2 and 3 days at a time hopefully sometimes.

Shooting will take a partial back seat, tho my monthly IDPA will still be important enough to be included in the schedule I hope.

One thing I will say - for sure - it is less the shooting I do and enjoy - than the folks I share this with. This does in fact include time spent on boards too - even if we have never actually met properly.

Stick around Tourist - even if less frequently - most of us God willing will be here, even if less often at times.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JT
    JT,

Sorry to confuse you. And sorry to respond so late. I just got home from work and found the notification in my e-mail. That's the last thing I want to convey, that is, taking a break from friends.

As for guns, no, that's not what I meant. They are all still here.

But let me say this, after collecting eveything for +/-30 years, it's the people who have value to me. If my wife came to me now concerned about bills, and she does worry too much, I'd sell a rifle to ease her mind. In the old days I might talk her down from the yips to save the gun.

Same with "people touching my stuff." Not all that long ago I wouldn't even let you cut something with one of my knives, even if I was standing there.

Now, stuff is just "things." If I got an e-mail from Betty saying, "I have to go into Madison to meet with SWAT distributors, and we're flying so no weapons," there would be a Glock and a tactical knife waiting for her at the hotel lobby. People are worth more than stuff.

But these are parallel issues, related but not the main thrust.

I noticed I was dosing in church, I noticed that all I ever talked to my wife about was business and when it came to people in general, I'd pick my Bichon pups. I heard wannabees go into deep discourse about their 'warrior codes' when I knew in my heart your average drunken cowboy would smack them through the cigarette machine--for fun. I was in disconnect.

So I barfed out the truth this morning where it needed to do the most good. My wife is on vacation with her sister in Vegas, but I made sure I called to tell her I'm thinking of her and the pups got extra cuddles. I won't bore or offend you with my spiritual side, but I took care of that, too.

I'm not leaving anyone, but I am re-focusing. Yes, I always dump a few forums, but I like it here and I want to stay. The problem is that I might not seem as supportive, and I do not wish to convey neglect.

You might say, "Gee, that's a spot where Chico should have taken advantage of a cheap laugh, where's he at?"

I'm just getting things straight. As I said, I'll lurk over latte' in the morning, but other needs must be met. Friends always come first, so e-mail me for troubles you're having.

Remember, it's a "walk about," and it's not a "walk out."
    I understand. I was just checking, because when you said "I am having trouble with searching for positive goals in my marriage, religion and business, and then jamming hollow-points into a magazine for a combat firearm", it sounded like you may be questioning a self-defense focused life style. That's why I asked.

Good luck.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Thumbs up Wow

But let me say this, after collecting eveything for +/-30 years, it's the people who have value to me. If my wife came to me now concerned about bills, and she does worry too much, I'd sell a rifle to ease her mind. Now, stuff is just "things." If I got an e-mail from Betty saying, "I have to go into Madison to meet with SWAT distributors, and we're flying so no weapons," there would be a Glock and a tactical knife waiting for her at the hotel lobby. People are worth more than stuff.
    I noticed I was dozing in church, I noticed that all I ever talked to my wife about was business and when it came to people in general, I'd pick my Bichon pups. I like it here and I want to stay. The problem is that I might not seem as supportive, and I do not wish to convey neglect. Friends always come first, so e-mail me for troubles you're having. Remember, it's a "walk about," and it's not a "walk out."
    Tourist....this really struck through to my HEART. You know, when I first got married and $$ was pretty tight, I sold an M1A to pay some bills. I respect you for that, for loving your wife and the Lord. So RIGHT about STUFF and you are without a doubt SHEEPDOG. Can't take it off, ever. I too, prefer the company of newfies...felt that for a long time until I took the time to examine my relationships with those folks that matter most to me and you know what? God was waiting there. You go on and take your walk about. As others haver said, we'll keep your seat warm. And should you ever find yourself in MY neck of the woods, be pleased to meet you and yours. Drop me a line...anytime. That comment about loaning a Glock to Betty....that's real friendship and that's the most important thing there is.....A Commandment from God.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Wink The Tourist

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    I understand. I was just checking, because when you said "I am having trouble with searching for positive goals in my marriage, religion and business, and then jamming hollow-points into a magazine for a combat firearm", it sounded like you may be questioning a self-defense focused life style. That's why I asked.

Good luck.
    Yeah that's what it sounded like to ME, too...which is why I posted the link to SHEEPDOGS...but I stand humbly corrected and proud to say so.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    which is why I posted the link to SHEEPDOGS...
    BTW - Thanks for the link. I had read it before, but did not have the link anymore.

DC Founder
    I certainly understand, Tourist, for me, boating season is coming and that will take even me away for short periods of time and maybe one if I make a trip up to Lake Powell again this summer. Nothing like sitting on a rock overlooking the lake with my wife and a beer. Mmmmm, can't wait! Come back when you can, we'll leave a light on for ya.
    Bumper
    Coimhťad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Tourist -

Be well. Turn the cell phone off and watch a sunset. Come back when you're ready. We'll be here, unless we're watching sunsets ourselves...

SSKC

Sponsored Links