Fred Thompson tells it like it is: Why America is unpopular

This is a discussion on Fred Thompson tells it like it is: Why America is unpopular within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...zhlMmFlMWU1ZmM Sticks & Stones By Fred Thompson It bothers Americans when we’re told how unpopular we are with the rest of the world. For some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fred Thompson tells it like it is: Why America is unpopular

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...zhlMmFlMWU1ZmM

Sticks & Stones

By Fred Thompson

It bothers Americans when we’re told how unpopular we are with the rest of the world. For some of us, at least, it gets our back up — and our natural tendency is to tell the French, for example, that we’d rather not hear from them until the day when they need us to bail them out again.

But we cool off. We’re big boys and girls, after all, and we don’t really bruise that easily. We’re also hopeful that, eventually, our ostrich-headed allies will realize there’s a world war going on out there and they need to pick a side — the choice being between the forces of civilization and the forces of anarchy. Considering the fact that the latter team is growing stronger and bolder daily, while most of our European Union friends continue to dismantle their defenses, that day may not be too long in coming.

In the meantime, let’s be realistic about the world we live in. Mexican leaders apparently have an economic policy based on exporting their own citizens, while complaining about U.S. immigration policies that are far less exclusionary than their own. The French jail perfectly nice people for politically incorrect comments, but scold us for holding terrorists at Guantanamo.

Russia, though, takes the cake. Here is a government apparently run by ex-KGB agents who have no problem blackmailing whole countries by turning the crank on their oil pipelines. They’re not doing anything shady, they say. They can’t help it if their opponents are so notoriously accident-prone. Criticize these guys and you might accidentally drink a cup of tea laced with a few million dollars worth of deadly, and extremely rare, radioactive poison. Oppose the Russian leadership, and you could trip and fall off a tall building or stumble into the path of a bullet.

The hundreds of demonstrators the Kremlin has had beaten and arrested in the last few weeks alone, we are told, were not pro-democracy activists but common criminals — like world chess champion Garry Kasparov. Demonstrating without a permit is a serious crime and, luckily for the Kremlin, it turns out that pro-government youth groups seem always to have permits for rallies at the exact times and places that anti-government protesters gather.

Another group that seems to be having trouble with permits is the media. Newspapers and television stations that aren’t smart enough to know that America is the enemy and that things are great in Russia can’t seem to get their paperwork in order. It’s some sort of IQ test, I guess.

President Vladimir Putin, though, shows no sign that he feels defensive about his remarkable string of luck. He knows who’s really to blame for “meddling” in Russian “internal affairs.” It’s the United States.

He’s lambasting us for yielding too much power. One example of this excessive power is the missile defense radar system we want to install in Poland and the Czech Republic — to give the free world early warning of a missile attack by terrorists or a rogue nation like Iran. Perhaps it’s just a coincidence that the Russians have been supplying Iran with both nuclear and missile technology while using their U.N. veto to block sanctions that would force Tehran to back down. Regardless, we’re clearly at fault, he says, for putting a defense system close to Mother Russia.

So I wouldn’t worry too much about the criticisms we receive. We make mistakes and at times the “carping” may even be on target, but it seems to me that we ought to look at a lot of the complaints as a badge of honor.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I like him more every day.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I wish he would just come out and tell everyone he's running. I read someplace that he's more popular than any other Republican candidate except Guliani, and he hasn't even announced!!! I *also* heard that he's waiting for Memorial Day weekend to announce... We shall see.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    I like him more every day.
    Same here!

He has my vote. I think this is the kind of president this country really needs. I am glad someone finally came out and this truth.
    Things happen, but the only thing that matters at the end of the day is what you do during and after in order to survive.

On NPR today they said that he doesn't have the finances to run, even if he announces. I wonder if that is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Misfit View Post
    On NPR today...I wonder if that is true.
    Looks like you answered your own question there

This man clearly has no business in Washington - he makes too much sense, way too much!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I'd write him onto any ballot I vote on, even if he decides not to run.

maybe we should start a write-in campaign.....doesn't cost him anything and he would be a true grass-roots President....

Now think about this a moment--in a 3-way race (Dem, Rep, and Thompson), Thompson gets the majority of the vote (for the sake of arguement, 40%)--but loses the Electoral College. How do you think the other parties would feel if neither one was popular? (not like I care how each party "feels")

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    maybe we should start a write-in campaign.....doesn't cost him anything and he would be a true grass-roots President....

Now think about this a moment--in a 3-way race (Dem, Rep, and Thompson), Thompson gets the majority of the vote (for the sake of arguement, 40%)--but loses the Electoral College. How do you think the other parties would feel if neither one was popular? (not like I care how each party "feels")
    This is the only way that we are ever going to change things in this country. Everyone who says "if you don't vote Rep, you are throwing your vote away" are only partially right. For the particular election that is at hand, yes, maybe your are basically throwing away your vote. However, afterward, everyone will say, "Wow! Look at the number of votes Thompson got!". The next election, you will see more people vote for a third candidate. The next election after that, still more. Until that first election comes around where people start voting for what's right, not just the lesser of two evils, we are going to keep getting the same thing we have been getting. It won't be changed with one election, or one election year, but - until we finally get this ball rolling, we are allowing this country to go further and further into the toilet, and it is going to take just that much more time and work to fix it.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'm in agreement with Muzz. What is scary, though, is our alternatives if Thompson were to lose. Swinging vote's away from the Republican party will ensure a better chance for the left... and look at our opposition - all rabidly anti-gun. The real question is whether or not we can afford to even try... Uhg. I hate politics.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I wish he would just come out and tell everyone he's running. I read someplace that he's more popular than any other Republican candidate except Guliani, and he hasn't even announced!!! I *also* heard that he's waiting for Memorial Day weekend to announce... We shall see.
    He's trying to build buzz and intisipation. Besides if he doesn't announce too soon he can write articles getting his message out for free and it isn't considered campaigning thus doesn't violate any campaign laws.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

America largely acts like a spoiled brat cum neighborhood bully. That's pretty much why, in a nutshell.

Read John Perkins' Confessions of an Economic Hitman, for a greater insight into what goes on every day in the name of promoting freedom, democracy and the "American" way.

Fred Thompson's got a good take on things. He has seen behind the curtain, so to speak.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I'm in agreement with Muzz. Swinging vote's away from the Republican party will ensure a better chance for the left... and look at our opposition - all rabidly anti-gun.
    Exactly which Republicans (that are contenders) are pro-gun?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links