NASA rethinking death in mission to Mars

This is a discussion on NASA rethinking death in mission to Mars within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Way off topic, but pretty interesting. What to do is someone dies, or is ill and won't survive till they get back, but they won't ...

Thread: NASA rethinking death in mission to Mars

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

NASA rethinking death in mission to Mars

Way off topic, but pretty interesting. What to do is someone dies, or is ill and won't survive till they get back, but they won't talk about any hanky panky on a mission.

Check it out
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    More questions than there will be answers IMO ....... at least, I doubt agreement will be reached on the main two!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Definitely a lot to think about.

Eventually we will reach out to the starts and those will be issues that will need to be addressed, but who knows.. maybe by then we will have discovered how to travel at the speed of light and we'll get to mars and back in less than a day.

At the speed of light Mars is three minutes away, not sure that I would want to travel at the speed of light though.

Not sure I would want to travel in space at all, according to Einstein aging is retarded while traveling through time/space, but that theory didn't account for radiation. It is now believed possible that space travel could make you older than if you had stayed behind.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2..._telomeres.htm

Administrator

limatunes

"Eventually we will reach out to the starts"
    And while we're reaching out to the starts - we might want to try reaching out to the stars too.

Seriously though I think "eventually" is still quite decently far in the distant future.

The "habitable" planet that they recently discovered that could be be very Earth-like concerning atmosphere and water is 60 light years away.

So as soon we learn how to travel at the speed of light it will take 60 years to get there - and that means Suspended Animation and/or getting revived out of a frozen state will be the only way for humans to get there.

Then once we do get there the gravity will be twice that of Earth.
    So solving anti-gravity will also be a must.

We won't ever visit any Earth-like planets until we discover how to navigate Black Holes or travel through dimensions or something totally bizarre and as of yet undreamed of.

It would actually probably be easier and make more sense for us to solve Time Travel and Go Back to our own Planet Earth to a time when it was still pristine and then not mess it up the second time around.

I think it's more likely that we'll figure out ways to Terra-Form a planet in our own Solar System.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links