BATFE gets their wrist slapped

This is a discussion on BATFE gets their wrist slapped within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.theolympian.com/130/story/95787.html Judge finds fault with ATF findings at Twin Falls gun shop A federal judge has allowed a local gun shop to buy and trade ...

Thread: BATFE gets their wrist slapped

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

BATFE gets their wrist slapped

http://www.theolympian.com/130/story/95787.html

Judge finds fault with ATF findings at Twin Falls gun shop

A federal judge has allowed a local gun shop to buy and trade guns again - for now.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives stripped Red's Trading Post of its license in March after an audit found numerous record-keeping violations over a five-year period.

But this week U.S. District Judge Edward Lodge ruled that the agency had exaggerated and omitted some of the findings it used to revoke the license. Lodge stayed the ATF's sanctions, saying the gun shop can continue operating until the judge decides whether the license revocation was legal. Lodge has not yet scheduled a hearing on the matter.

Shop owner Ryan Horsley said he was thrilled by the ruling.

"I am ecstatic. I was just waiting. For nearly two months this has been exhausting," Horsley said. "Getting all our advertising back in place, getting all our orders set, arranging - it's just kind of nuts. It's not over yet."

But federal officials stand by their investigation and decision to revoke Red's license.

"The report provided to the court was accurate and ATF stands by our initial inspection," said Julianne Marshall, spokeswoman for the ATF in Seattle. "We will await the court's final determination."

In his ruling, Lodge wrote that though the ATF mentioned violations found during inspections in 2000 and 2005, the agency failed to reveal that additional investigations in 2001 and 2007 revealed no problems. The ATF also counted some violations twice, Lodge found.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Glad to hear it. Hopefully it gets washed away completely. Not that Red's will ever make up what it missed out on, but maybe people will add a little extra support to help out.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Judging by what I have seen of your laws (and ours) it would be very easy for a business to break laws unknowingly.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Always happy to see the ATF get their hands slapped.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

In his ruling, Lodge wrote that though the ATF mentioned violations found during inspections in 2000 and 2005, the agency failed to reveal that additional investigations in 2001 and 2007 revealed no problems. The ATF also counted some violations twice, Lodge found.
    Jeez anything to get the "working man"... What jerks!

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Always happy to see the ATF get their hands slapped.
    yep, as the t-shirt goes...

"Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms... should be a convenience store, not a government agency."
    "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive.. a country boy can survive..." - Hank Williams, Jr.

Links