My funny story for the evening featuring the Desert Eagle .50. - Page 2

My funny story for the evening featuring the Desert Eagle .50.

This is a discussion on My funny story for the evening featuring the Desert Eagle .50. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Good to hear that lima - you show 'em gal Some male shooters are so egocentric and macho they have to assume all the wrong ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My funny story for the evening featuring the Desert Eagle .50.

Assistant Administrator
    Good to hear that lima - you show 'em gal

Some male shooters are so egocentric and macho they have to assume all the wrong things. Funny too - most of those in that category cannot yet shoot properly (or even safely).

Keep up the good work.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good story.

I rented the DE in .44 once. Really fun gun to shoot, but I don't think I'll ever buy one. If I did it would have to be the full pimp version.

And I really don't get the "(females in general) can't handle X gun" thing.

Lead Moderator
    It's always great when you can do something like that!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Thumbs up

Congrats on mighty good shootin' lima.
    So....When is limatunes buying herself a Desert Eagle in 50?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator

My next adventure.

I swear, I'm going to have a story to tell every night when I come home from work.

Tonight's story is a doozer.

A rather thugged out/grungy looking guy comes in and spends more than an hour looking at almost every cheap gun we have (which is not very many).

I ask him if I can help him and the first thing he says is, "Uhhh, yeah, ummm, do you have any Hi-Points in 9mm?"

Yes, I know, you can all start rolling your eyes and making pain noises.

What's worse is that we had one.

He starts rambling on about how he wants a "glock-type" pistol in 9mm but in a $100-$300 price range.

I direct him to the used/rental case telling him that guns in that case will more than likely be a little cheaper than the new ones and I hand him over a S&W Sigma in 9mm with a price tag of around $370.

Without even holding it he says, "I'll take it!"

I say, "Well, seeing as how it is used and a rental, would you like to head over to our range and try it out before you buy it? Perhaps see if you like it?"

He goes, "Oh, well, yeah, sure. That's pretty smart." Insert nervous, slightly childish laugh here.

I take him over to the range where I set him up with eye & ear protection, targets, ammo and go over the range rules with him as he has never shot at our range before.

I also had him fill out a form to indicate his knowledge level on guns.

Of course he marks off "Intermediate" in pistols while going on and on about how much he's shot and the different things he's shot, although I didn't recognize a single manufacturer and I also believe he was making up calibers as he went.

He heads off into the range and as he was the only patron at the time and I checked him in it kind of officially stuck me on range duty.

I pull up my stool safe behind bullet-proof glass and start watching him.

He hangs up his target and moves it out to 7-10 yards then proceeds to fiddle with the Sigma. Because of the angle he was standing at I could not see exactly what he was doing, but by the movement in his shoulders and the shaking of his head I could tell he was having trouble.

Finally, he signals for me to come out into the range.

I put on my eye and ear protection, enter the range and ask what he needs.

"Ummm, I'm not really familiar with this gun. Could you, uhh, give me a bit of a lesson?"

I ask him one more time if he's sure he's shot before and he says, "Oh yeah, LOTS! I'm just not familiar with this particular gun. I'm fine."

Little does he know I've never put one single round through a S&W Sigma, but I give him the basics anyway.. this is your slide release, this is your mag release, this is your mag, it holds ten rounds, when you chamber a round and take out the magazine there is still a round in the chamber... yada, yada, yada.

I lock the slide back, put it on the bench in front of him pointing down range and tell him that if he needs anything that he should be sure to ask me, I'll be right behind the glass watching him.

He thanks me and I leave the range.

I mount my stool and watch as he loads a mag with five shots, chambers a round, takes an atrocious stance and a terrifying grip of each thumb on either side of the weapon (anyone hear of slide bite around here?) and shoot three HORRIBLE shots, each accompanied by jumping, twitching and rocking on his heals.

Then it happens. His gun jams.

The slide fell on a round as it was entering the chamber and even from my position I could see the gleam of the overhead lights on the brass. He tried to pull the trigger again and, of course, nothing happened.

So what does he do? It was clear he thought that just because it didn't fire that it was empty.

He starts waving it around and even pointing it at himself and in my direction. What was even more horrific was that when he turned to face my general direction, I could see his finger tightly curled around the trigger.

It was not impossible that one small move or adjustment would slam that round home and he would hurt someone if not himself (and worse yet, ME).

I grab my ear protection and for the first time in my entire life I felt my chest tighten in fear as I entered a range and approached a man with a gun. I honestly wondered if I was going to get shot and silently sent up a really short prayer requesting that it be some place non-lethal if it had to happen at all.

I entered the range and calmly said, "Stop and put the gun down." I didn't want to yell and frighten him and make matters worse.

God bless him, he immediately put the gun down.

I picked it up, pointing it down range and tilted it just enough to show him he had a round practically in the chamber, and I was right, a simple very slight tug on the slide made that round slam home.

I made sure he knew what he could have just done and instructed him over and over again on the 4 rules. I started from the beginning with him from the rules, to grip, to stance, to sight alignment and on to range etiquette.

I also made sure he knew that one more infraction and he was out the door and that I was standing directly behind him for his next several shots to insure that he understood what he was doing. I also brought in his target to about 4 yards.

He improved significantly (meaning he was actually hitting the paper) and we had no further scares, but I had to shake my head when he ended up buying the gun.

Oh the tales of working at a gun shop.

I guess I take advantage of how well I was brought up and trained.

Guns, for me, have always been enjoyable and fun because they've always been handled safely and respectfully.

I hope I never again have to look at a gun being pointed at me with a finger on the trigger. It's not pleasant.

Assistant Administrator
    I nearly came out in a cold sweat lima!!!!

That is - hmmm - what I call ''pucker factor'' LOL. It's amazing how many folks can forget all about muzzle discipline - often just because they ''think'' the gun cannot go bang - jammed or not.

Thx for the telling of this one ..... goes to show the total spread of people who can come into a gun shop to buy. I am glad you stayed cool and steered him right - just perhaps he will be more cognisant of the four rules ... sure hope so.

I am wondering - and don't remember thus far - have you yet had the total knowitall??"? The guy who tries to make out he knows more about all guns than you might know about breakfast cereals? LOL
    Chris - P95

umm... wow.. all I can say is wow..

Glad it ended well.. I'm also glad I haven't run into anyone that bad on any of my trips to the range..

A shining example of what NOT to do at the range...

Administrator

Cool

as limatunes decides to hold off on buying the Desert Eagle in favor of shopping around for threat level 3A Body Armor.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

You should consider telling your patrons when you hand over a rental that if they, for any reason, have any problems with their firearms, to put them in the table and wave for the RO to come and check whats the problem.

Also, get yourself an old level II or higher body armor vest - just to be on the safe side.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    as limatunes decides to hold off on buying the Desert Eagle in favor of shopping around for threat level 3A Body Armor.
    That's not that far off from the truth.

I told my husband that had they had body armor behind the counter I WOULD have put it on before I entered the range.

Assistant Administrator
    if they, for any reason, have any problems with their firearms, to put them in the table and wave for the RO to come
    That actually is best advice and should be a rule really... lay gun on bench, pointing downrange - and seek assistance.

Good point.
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    You should consider telling your patrons when you hand over a rental that if they, for any reason, have any problems with their firearms, to put them in the table and wave for the RO to come and check whats the problem.

Also, get yourself an old level II or higher body armor vest - just to be on the safe side.
    They are told that. It's in the range rules he read and signed stating that he understood and would abide by them and it's not just for the rentals.. it's for ANY gun, even their own.

The thing is, I know he didn't know it was jammed. He just thought it was empty because it didn't fire.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I am wondering - and don't remember thus far - have you yet had the total knowitall??"? The guy who tries to make out he knows more about all guns than you might know about breakfast cereals? LOL
    ROFLMAO!

Just reading this made me start dying in laughter.

Not only did I get the "know-it-all." I got the "know-it-all+compensating-for-something."

This guy comes in berating EVERYTHING smaller than a Desert Eagle .50 or the Smith & Wesson 500.

He's got his son with him and he's preaching the horrors of the 1911 because it has a grip safety that is useless because "you have to have a really good grip on your gun it won't shoot." As though a good grip is a bad thing.

He's going on and on about the superior weight and firepower of the Desert Eagle (okay, I'll give him the superior firepower thing) and how THAT is the man's gun and no one should have anything less (never mind that it costs about a dollar a bullet).

After stuffing his chest out about his knowledge he asked to see a Springfield 1911-A1. He pulls and pulls and pulls on the trigger and then tells the guy that was helping him that something was wrong because the hammer wasn't coming back.

When me and my colleague simultaneously said, "It's single action," he said, "What's that mean?"

We also had an older gentleman come in and asked our manager to see a 1911. Our manger was a little busy and directs him to me. My manger says, "She's our 1911 girl. She can help you."

I lock back the slide on a Springfield and hand it to him and he looks at me with quite a sneer on his face and says, "So you think you know something about 1911s, eh?"

As he starts quizzing me on really trivial, obvious and stupid stuff he's working hard on the slide release to get the slide to drop.

He's getting more and more agitated, especially because I'm answering his questions.

Finally he's almost shaking he's trying so hard to drop this slide.

I say, "Drop the mag just a bit and try again."

He fumbles with the mag release and the magazine spills out onto the floor and a gentle squeeze on the slide release slams the slide home.

He turns bright red and says, "I knew that."

Assistant Administrator
    Bwhahaha - tell ya what gal - I'd sure love to be a fly on the wall - watching you put these idiots straight - it'd be worth paying for!!

When me and my colleague simultaneously said, "It's single action," he said, "What's that mean?"
    Oh - that is priceless - really is! Best of all is when these ''brainboxes'' come unstuck and then have to try and talk their way outa their ignorance.

Keep it up Lima - I think we have plenty more ''stories'' to come yet over the weeks .. keep em comin'
    Chris - P95

I got my lesson when I was 21 and thought I was one of the best shooters around. Then I met a great girl who also happened to be a Marine. I'll admit I was a little cocky. Well after a few weeks of dating her I became more humble lol. That was my biggest lesson on judging a person by the way they look. Keep it up Lima I'm sure you'll open some eyes.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links