Anyone here a pilot?

This is a discussion on Anyone here a pilot? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A common way to do that would be to make a lease-back arrangement with an FBO. Most of the places I've rented from have arrangements ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here a pilot?

A common way to do that would be to make a lease-back arrangement with an FBO. Most of the places I've rented from have arrangements like that. Something like a 172 or a Warrior is a good option and is popular amongst the folks who don't own their own aircraft. In addition to straight rental, non-complex 4-seaters can be used for primary training or IFR training, if you've got the avionics package for it.

You can then make an arrangement for who's going to pay for annuals, overhauls and such. You just want to make sure you pick an FBO that's going to monitor the use and maintenance very carefully. And get all those responsibilities in the contract.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I have 50 hours in, 30 hours of that is solo. Expensive and my instructor was and still is a turd. I did what I set out to do and learned to fly. I enjoyed it but it's all over for me (unless I win the lotto).

Ok let me spoil some dreams here.

It is extremely difficult to make any kind of money in an airplane by doing crop dusting... you will work your a$$ off for entire days and walk away with beans. You literally have to fly around the clock to make anything, especially as a single pilot and plane (as compared to a company).

Making money as a flight instructor is also extremely difficult. The responsibility is great and the financial rewards are low. Most CFI's are doing it to build hours and move upward in the chain. There are some good guys out there that just enjoy teaching people to fly and they are truly the good instructors!

As being immersed in the aviation my whole life I have witnessed the very good and bad regarding CFI's. Instructors often fail to realize how much power they have on a student...they can either make a pilots dream come true or smash it to pieces. Student pilots are fragile and their perception and responses are directly related to how the instructor treats them. I have seen many "Hot dog" instructors try to show off to students and then get down on their students when they are not perfect...the student ends up hating flying.

That is just touching on the responsibility of CFI's but to help you out Sixto, I think that to some extent the money would contribute to off setting the costs of a aircraft, but in the end it may not be significant.

However, I am interpreting that the aviation bug has bitten you and that the urge to fly is internal. I assume that it is something you love and that you will find a way to make it work. Good luck on your endeavor.

Administrator
    I dont expect to make a living, just maybe pay for some of the expense.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I realize that and I am sorry if I came off too strong.

As being immersed in the aviation my whole life I have witnessed the very good and bad regarding CFI's. Instructors often fail to realize how much power they have on a student...they can either make a pilots dream come true or smash it to pieces.
    I once saw my instructor take a pretty girl up so he could show off. He did a complete roll in a C-150. The C-150 operators book says that's a big no no. He was always trying to show off by landing on the taxiway instead of the runway and doing other dimwitted things. I went to a different place and took a couple of expensive lessons in a 172 and he showed me things the other instructor should have taught me but didn't. You really do need to be careful who you pick for an instructor.

I got my helicopter license in 2002 and it is AWESOME !! Fly the Robinson R22/44 and Schweitzer 300's. Did my fixed wing add on in 2005 just for laughs as I rarely spend the $$ for the Piper Warrior.

If you are going to fly, go helicopters, it's a lot more fun!

I'd love to get my rotory wing ticket, but around here it's about 3-4X the cost of 172 rental. And not to mention that a heli is always trying to kill you. A well designed airplane wants to fly as long as you keep up the airspeed. It's also hard to find rentals, compared to the172s for rent at every airport in the country.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by dlauriano View Post
    I got my helicopter license in 2002 and it is AWESOME !! Fly the Robinson R22/44 and Schweitzer 300's. Did my fixed wing add on in 2005 just for laughs as I rarely spend the $$ for the Piper Warrior.

You got that right! I worked on OH58A helicopters in the military and got some stick time in. Rock and Roll.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

Fly?

Sorry,I do not fly.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dlauriano View Post

I dont know why, but heli's never did anything for me... I've spent lots of time on uh-1, sh*thooks etc. I even fell out of one once, I was supposed to jump out... Part of my job was once to get them in the LZ and back out with out hitting anything.

Call me strange but given the chance to fly any machine, I'd go with a C130 or old Stearman set up as a bush plane.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I like the rush of flying in something that, aerodynamically, is not meant to fly and merely beats the air into submission....if I could afford it, I would get certified as an airman.

Good luck Sixto....if guns are an expensive hobby, flying sure ain't cheap either.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Call me strange but given the chance to fly any machine, I'd go with a C130 or old Stearman set up as a bush plane.
    +1 on the C130. The yankee air museum not far from me has a b-17 that they give rides in. I thought about it, but for the $430 for a short flight that they want, I'd expect to be allowed to take the yoke and log the time. They weren't having that. Man, that'd be a really cool logbook entry.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Hey, Sixto! First things first. Find a good instructor and get started again. Get the private under your belt and then you've got lots of options, especially to start building time for an advanced rating. If you've got the bucks, you might consider purchasing a Cessna 152 or 172 tricked out for IFR. That way you do all your training through IFR in your own aircraft, plus either is an ideal candidate for lease-back to a flight school. You certainly shouldn't lose money on either of those two aircraft.

Then, when you get ready to make the move to cargo/bush plane, you might be able to find a deal on a C-123.

I feel very sentimental about the ol' Provider. Made my first two jumps out of one back in . . . well, a long time ago.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    I like the rush of flying in something that, aerodynamically, is not meant to fly and merely beats the air into submission....if I could afford it, I would get certified as an airman.
    Ah, the helicopter... a thousand loose bolts orbiting an oil leak.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links