Anyone here a pilot?

This is a discussion on Anyone here a pilot? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; SIXTO, I think the bottom line is if you love it, then do it. It will help immensely if you have the time and money, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone here a pilot?

SIXTO,

I think the bottom line is if you love it, then do it.

It will help immensely if you have the time and money, you will need lots of both. Flying for travel is virtually never cheaper than flying commercial (maybe only sometimes on very short trips, then driving is usually a much more financially attractive option). The reason to fly for travel is because you love to do it.

Having been around aviation for most of my adult life, military and civilian (CFI-I SEL, comm. inst. rotary) , there are lots of schemes to try to lessen the cost of flying. Few work very well. Along with partnerships and lease-backs and the like, comes risk. I've seen great "deals" go south in a hurry when one partner or another causes the need for major repairs, or can't come up with their share. I guess it's just like anything else, you balance the risk with the cost and savings and decide if it's worth it to you. But don't do it because you found a great deal, do it because you love it.

When you do decide, make a commitment. Flying is very unforgiving and the thing that will keep you safe is your commitment to learning more every day and staying current. Fly often and remember, do it because you love it!

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Dave.
    Go beyond that which is required of you...

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Thats some great advice Dave, thanks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In ground school, my instructor asked us "what makes an airplane fly?".

Trying to earn some brownie points, I started spewing the "its the areodynamic co-efficient of lift, blah, blah, blah".

He then said, "Wrong. What makes an airplane fly is lots and lots or money".

I went on to get my private pilots license and fly every chance I could.

Then because of work, and other lame excuses, I cut back and finally quit flying altogether. It's been years since I flew a plane and it's really a shame because I loved doing it.

I developed a theory that none of the problems in your life can survive above 500 feet AGL. Once the ground starts falling away and you are on your own in a great big sky, life is good and your troubles now seem rather trivial.

If I can get my weight back down where I can make a weight and balance computation for me in a 172 work out right, I want to start flying again.

If you can work it out, do it. Nothing else is quite like it.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Administrator
    I've been up in gliders too a few times, those are loads of fun as well...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Well, I goto Embry-Riddle. That means, just about everyone I know is a pilot... They're spwnding quite a pretty penny to get their certs, too. I dunno. They thinks its worth it. I'm not majoring in anything that has to do with flying, though I do have a couple hours left seat in UH-1's. I'm with the other guys... Rotary is the way to go!!!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links