It's been a rough week.

It's been a rough week.

This is a discussion on It's been a rough week. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife came home this afternoon after a week in Vegas with her sister. They go every year, however this year was ill timed for ...

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar

It's been a rough week.

My wife came home this afternoon after a week in Vegas with her sister. They go every year, however this year was ill timed for me personally, but it good for her to get away. That's the part of marriage that's bittersweet. You love them you need them, you watch them go away.

As I stated, I needed time for self reflection. I lurked here. I lifted weights. I prayed. I went to work and did my mundane job. I bought a beautiful stiletto. And I wondered if I had anything of substance to say to people in forums like this.

I came to the conclusion I enjoy you guys, but I haven't got one darn good thing to convey. I've learned from making mistakes--and I continue to make them.

I can tell you how to sharpen, how to cast, give you rudimentary info on Harley V-twins, but in the game of life, I am clueless. My hand still hurts a bit but I continue to rehab by overlooking the pain. That is my most important advice.

We know good things and good friends by the inner voice we collectively call our 'conscience.' Holding to proper beliefs hurts. Hang on.

If I have cut any of you off due to my personal reflections, I am sorry. I have come to an age in life when being a mentor is the job. I simply got tired.

So, let's joke again, gather in strength and stand for good things. I sat tonight on the couch with my wife and my dogs. In the dark garage, my 95-inch bike strained on her tether, waiting for spring. Not a bad life.

Perhaps I've missed your point again Tourist, but I've learned one thing early in this life: you'll never feel like you're getting the point across.

I sat there all day and tried again and again to explain why the Y intercept is important. All day. I tried to explain it every way I knew how. Of course teaching is not explaining but I digress.

I fall into that pit every so often, feeling all my efforts are useless and stupid. After all they seldom pay attention to me; I bore them. The few that do only do so for a few minutes at a time, and there's never any sign of any sort of gratitude or appreciation and I don't really expect one either. I was told repeatedly today how annoying I am.

But inevitably a miracle occurs. At some point, they just stop their whining and they do it all by themselves. It takes some of them longer than others of course. They figure out I'm not going to he happy until they embrace the madness that is remedial mathematics.

Thus my job is done regardless of how it is received, or how I am treated by my charges. I'm not there to be popular or be liked I'm there to do a job I care about even when no one else does. They don't know or care it's important to know how to do this, but I do know and I do care if they're able to do it or not. Maybe one day a few of them will realize it and force someone else who doesn't know or care to learn how. I'll be repaid without ever knowing it.

Administrator

Thumbs up Tourist

You're always welcome here. You are welcome to float away for a little bit & you'll always be welcomed right back. This is a good place & you make it even better. The first thing you should do is work hard on getting that hand back into perfect condition.
    Also: there is no need for your every post to be an Earth Shattering revelation. We like having you around.
    Glad that you are working through things.

Also you said: "And I wondered if I had anything of substance to say to people in forums like this."

Sometimes when you just offer your presence then just you're being here as a valued member of our group is substance enough.

DC Founder
    Welcome back, Tourist. QK is right, we don't require anything of you, we just like having you here. Just do what you do. I think most of us knew where you were coming from on needing some time. I may need some soon myself....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

These were many of the things I learned. In fact, my handle "Tourist" is a statement that I'm slowing down and watching things a bit more than actively being a driving force.

But we all tire. Mine was physical, mental and spiritual, the 'hat trick' of just being whipped. I have learned that when you shut down the people around you take personal responsibility, and I did not want people here to think that. The guys at CCW have been some of the best fun lately.

Like all good semi-retired baby boomers, I get up late, feed the pups, get the paper and make a huge latte' coffee and turn on the computer. I scan the e-mails. Let's see what we have...

The first one is entitled:

"Die, die, die, you Sicilian SOB." Oh, Betty is up and answering her mail. Apparently she's in a good mood. I always like 'happy talk' the first thing in the morning to brighten my mood. She's a very good writer and really should be doing her own articles for SWAT. Her description of punji sticks and my colon had me on the floor laughing. What a kidder!

The second one is entitled:

"My whole world is spinning!" It's Euc, he writes that his SW revolver turns clockwise and his Colt turns counter-clockwise. I tell him that the lock-work of a Colt was actually invented in Austalia, and it spins to match their toilet flow. Wait until he finds out about rifling twists.

The third one is just spam. It's from Bumper, and it's the usual yada-yada for money. How do I really know he's in a Mexican jail with a new 'husband'? Last week it was money for his Lexus, the week before it involved the singer Ciara and some photographs. Then he sat on a punji stick. He's got more problems than my Corsican Aunt Clara.

I finish my latte' and head for the gym. It seems like everything is normal.

Wait... if the lockwork was designed in Australia but the rifling twists the other way... won't the bullet come back to hit me?

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    The third one is just spam. It's from Bumper, and it's the usual yada-yada for money. How do I really know he's in a Mexican jail with a new 'husband'? Last week it was money for his Lexus, the week before it involved the singer Ciara and some photographs. Then he sat on a punji stick. He's got more problems than my Corsican Aunt Clara.
    Hey, now, leave that Mexican jail thing out of it....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Where's the latte' and the newspaper?

It appears everything is normal and dysfunctional.

Links