USMC and Navy Rules for Gun Fighting
This is a discussion on USMC and Navy Rules for Gun Fighting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "When I was in the Navy you were still able to have beards and a whole platoon of Marines came in to the galley with ...
May 9th, 2007 08:59 PM
"When I was in the Navy you were still able to have beards and a whole platoon of Marines came in to the galley with one Corpsman with a full red beard. He looked like the old G.I. Joe dolls."
that must have been a sight to behold! PatriotRick, did you serve with John Paul Jones? when did you serve?... never heard of such a thing.
"embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
"no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.
May 9th, 2007 10:07 PM
Another Navy vet chiming in here.
My first ship was the USS Wisconsin, BB-64. An Iowa class Battleship. The Marines loved us.
As far as Navy gun fight goes, the Marines didn't have anything that would launch a 2700 pound bullet 26 miles inland and destroy large swaths of bad guys. But we Squids did, and boy did the Marines love to see that big Battlewagon floating out there like the avenging hand of God Himself to swat away those who would try to harm our camo clad brothers.
And by the way, those of us on the Nuclear Security defense team onboard ships that carried "spacial" weapons were trained to a fine sharp edge. Even the Marines thought we were OK.
May 10th, 2007 08:50 AM
This old retired Senior Chief sure is grateful to the Jarheads who had to go crawl in the mud for me while I enjoyed that delicious Chief's mess coffee and slept between fresh, clean white sheets on my nice thick mattress. Oh yeah, the chow in the Chief's mess is always the best on the ship too. It's great to have Brothers like the United States Misguided Children. Incidentally, there are none better at what they do and we were always there for them. One of the proudest memento's on my "I love me" wall is a Certificate of Commendation from the Commanding General, 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing. Semper Fi Brothers.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell
May 10th, 2007 09:59 AM
I joined in 1984 and just missed the beards, and salt and peppers. Ah well. Like tegemu, I'm sure glad we have those guys and they are the worlds best at what they do. Glad they are on our side!
I always wanted to be stationed on a battleship but wasn't able to.
<a target="_top" href="http://www.cybernations.net/default.asp?Referrer=TonyW"><img src="http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd188/18932471/imgad2-1.png" border="0"></a>
May 10th, 2007 10:00 AM
Explain your rules to the SEALS...I'm sure they'll listen attentively.
noli nothis permittere te terere...
May 10th, 2007 03:33 PM
I spent my time on subs, the Marines can have the bullets and the sand...but I'm sure they were happy that our TLAMs flattened every bit of cover the enemy had.
They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Previously known as "cjm5874"
May 11th, 2007 04:26 AM
Semper Fi, Senior Chief!
MAG-26, 2nd MAW
"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."
May 11th, 2007 08:55 AM
Corpman hear also ,good to go..
May 12th, 2007 01:54 AM
Navy rule for gunfights: Send the Marines
Marine rule for gunfights: Let the Army do it while we write up a press release and practice marching pretty
"I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
May 12th, 2007 07:39 PM
I thought it was more like this:
US Marine Corps Rules:
1. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
2. Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.
3. Have a plan.
4. Have a back-up plan, because the first one probably won't work.
5. Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
6. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with at least a "4."
7. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
8. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal preferred.)
9. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
10. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
11. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
12. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
13. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating your intention to shoot.
Navy SEALS Rules:
1. Look very cool in sunglasses.
2. Kill every living thing within view.
3. Adjust Speedo.
4. Check hair in mirror.
US Army Rangers Rules:
1. Walk in 50 miles wearing 75 pound rucksack while starving.
2. Locate individuals requiring killing.
3. Request permission via radio from "Higher" to perform killing.
4. Curse bitterly when mission is aborted.
5. Walk out 50 miles wearing a 75 pound rucksack while starving.
US Army Rules:
1. Select a new beret to wear.
2. Sew patches on correct shoulder.
3. Change the color of beret you decide to wear.
US Air Force Rules:
1. Have a cocktail.
2. Adjust temperature on air-conditioner.
3. See what's on HBO.
4. Ask "what is a gunfight?"
5. Request more funding from Congress with a "killer" Power Point Presentation.
6. Wine and dine 'key' Congressmen, invite DOD &defense industry executives
7. Receive funding, set up new command and assemble assets.
8. Declare the assets "strategic" and never deploy them operationally.
9. Hurry to make 1345 tee-time.
US Navy Rules:
1. Go to Sea.
2. Drink Coffee.
3. Watch porn.
4. Deploy the Marines.
"We must remember that one man is much
the same as another, and that he is best
who is trained in the severest school."
~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War
May 12th, 2007 10:37 PM
What About Us Coastie Officers?
Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand
Coastie Rule...Only One I Know Of...1. Must be over 6' tall...so if boat sinks, you can walk back to shore!
Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”
Certified Glock Armorer
NRA Life Member
May 13th, 2007 02:17 AM
By First Sgt in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
Last Post: January 16th, 2009, 12:45 AM
By dcb188 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
Last Post: July 1st, 2008, 11:47 AM
By badgerw in forum Bob & Terry's Place
Last Post: June 27th, 2007, 07:36 AM
By Greg Dunn in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
Last Post: November 25th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Search tags for this page
navy seals rules for gunfighting
navy seals rules of gun fighting
navy seals rules to a gunfight
what are the rules on a usmc coffee mess
Click on a term to search for related topics.