Kansas Tornado Cop Dies After Daughter's Bedside Wedding

This is a discussion on Kansas Tornado Cop Dies After Daughter's Bedside Wedding within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I found this story and thought I would post it. In a recent thread on Combat Carry it was suggested that Kansas LEOs acted in ...

I found this story and thought I would post it. In a recent thread on Combat Carry it was suggested that Kansas LEOs acted in a cowardly manner. I was not there and don't know. It does appear that at least one Kansas cop was not hiding in his basement when this tragedy unfolded.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270584,00.html
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

I am not understanding why a police officer in a basement shelter during a tornado is considered being cowardly.

They are not superhuman and cannot repel the winds. They need to stay alive to render aid to victims in the aftermath

Ditto AZ...I'd like someone to explain that one to me as well.
    205 mph winds > Police cruiser, hat, suit, and tin metal badge

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I've survived two and only a damn fool isn't playing duck and cover. You can't help anyone afterwards if you aren't alive to help.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    I've survived two and only a damn fool isn't playing duck and cover. You can't help anyone afterwards if you aren't alive to help.
    +1 Been there, done that. Only a fool stays out in the open. I've actually seen straw embedded in trees and buildings, and forests turned into large matchstick piles.

Only a fool stays out in the open. I've actually seen straw embedded in trees and buildings, and forests turned into large matchstick piles.
    Ever been in a riptide in the ocean? Tough to swim against. Now, ever been in a large flooding stream or small river, when it's loaded with tree branches and other crud? It will slice you and batter you silly, if not kill you. The tsunami in Indonesia? That, 10 times over.

Wind? Sure, it's fun to stand up to, leaning into it. An F5 tornado's 250mph winds, though? You'll be lucky to escape being impaled by those tufts of grass, straw, splinters of wood, pieces of fence, slats from buildings, etc.

Who is someone not running for cover during a tornado? A fool.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think perhaps the point I was trying to make in my original post was missed. On a different thread it was suggested that LEOs were negligent during these tornados and were perhaps cowardly. I posted this story as evidence that LEOs in Kansas did their job to the best of their abillities. This gentleman lost his life doing so.

Perhaps I was not as clear as I could have been but I assure you I was not trying suggest LEOs were negligent or cowardly. Quite the opposite. We have our share of nasty weather around here this time of year. If taking appropriate shelter under such circumstances makes one a coward then my spine is as yellow as they come.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Links