Job offer falls through, hopes and morale destroyed.

This is a discussion on Job offer falls through, hopes and morale destroyed. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; You'd probably love working at our local NBC affiliate (my former employer). The chief engineer (my former boss) is a huge gun nut and a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Job offer falls through, hopes and morale destroyed.

You'd probably love working at our local NBC affiliate (my former employer). The chief engineer (my former boss) is a huge gun nut and a great guy.

The engineer turnover there is not that great, though, I think. Maybe a little more nowadays because the pay ain't what it used to be. Used to, you'd have to wait for one of those guys to retire (which is what I had to do - working there as a director before moving to engineering).

It is a much smaller market than Memphis (runs somewhere between 74 and 76 rating) and pay would be... well... less. For a dual income family, which is what most of the engineers there are, it's probably not too bad. The only reason I left is that we were not a dual income family and did not want to be so I had to move on. Loved the place, though.

I think the last guy they hired was some Romanian guy that was working at a Wal Mart in California. Before coming to the US he worked for Romanian State Television, probably under Caeu... Ceau... umm... that guy. . What a gig that must've been.

It's a joke around here because sometimes we have to feed them stuff using a fixed microwave link here at the university. We hate getting him on the phone in tech center because no one can understand him and he's terrible at troubleshooting bad signals.

2. Remove Ads

Don't let it get you down. It could always be worse like not having any job at all. Look at the up side you still have the job in Memphis. I know Nashville is nicer than Memphis but you are outside Shelby County so you only have to drive through Memphis going to and from work.

Sorry about the news. But, like others have said, another door (a better door) will open.

Keep the positive vibes going.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Lead Moderator
    Sorry to hear that, don't give up though.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    I agree that things happen the way they do sometimes for good reason.
    A few of the worst things that ever happened to me turned out to be the best things that have happened to me in the grand scheme of things.
    Keep chin up.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Mike, sorry about the job falling through. Maybe you are looking the wrong direction. You have looked North and East how about looking due South?

Sorry, I just can't help but remind you that you left the GREAT STATE of ALABAMA to go up to Memphis. Hang in there, it took us from October 1990 when we decided we wanted to leave New Orleans until June 1995 to actually leave. I got the job here in March, but it did not start until July 1. I'm very glad that this is the one I got, cause I absolutely love it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Sorry to hear that the job fell through....

Earlier this year, my dad had the possible opportunity of taking a chaplain job at a local retirement home (He's a minister), which he considered his perfect 'retirement job' and he could leave the stress of his current flock. He was on the top and the only one on their 'hire' list, but the job was downgraded to a PT position and at a salary that was too low (at this point.). It didn't work out and he was devastated. I feel your pain.....

Hang in there!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

JD
    Administrator
    I feel your pain, I was in a "similar" situation almost 4 years ago. It's a shame but things will be ok, luck turns in every which way, keep your chin up.

Atleast you weren't told "The other guy has a better resume." after basicly being told that you had the job

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Atleast you weren't told "The other guy has a better resume." after basicly being told that you had the job
    That is one that always surprises me. First, they probably haven't had time or haven't bothered to vet the resume. You hear almost daily of people padding their resume. Second, one of the first things I learned in business is that resumes don't get you jobs they get you interviews. Only idiots hire people because of a resume.

I guess this is the result of no longer looking at employees as people, but as "human resources". That part of business used to be called "personnel" which kept the idea of people in the job. When it became "human resources" people became commodities. Businesses have no loyalty to their people, but expect their people to be loyal to them and are stupefied when it doesn't happen. Another major "success" of out educational system I suppose.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Mike, this might make you feel better about staying put. Nashville is going through a juvenile crime wave it seems, not even summer yet so it will likely get worse when school's out.
    Here's the recent ones.

Feb. 11 A Nashville teenager allegedly took part in a violent home invasion that included the rape of a woman who was nine months pregnant in February. He hanged himself last month in a juvenile detention center.

April 12 A 13-year-old girl is accused of stabbing three teenage boys who were throwing stones at her house.

April 20 A 17-year-old was arrested on charges of conspiring to rob a pizza delivery driver. The boy, who had a BB pistol in his pocket, told police he needed the money to rent his prom tuxedo.

April 21 A boy who may be as young as 13 is suspected of trying to rape a 17-year-old girl at gunpoint as she walked down South Sixth Street. Later he allegedly entered a garage on South 11th Street and raped a woman in her 30s at gunpoint as she arrived home.

May 2 A 16-year-old boy is charged with holding up a man as he left an ATM on Charlotte Avenue. A 15-year-old boy who allegedly acted as lookout also was arrested.

Friday A 16-year-old Antioch boy was being sought on a charge of criminal homicide in the killing of Omid Market owner Ebadolla Ghorbani during a holdup Nov. 20.

Nashville isn't quite as bad in the crime department as Memphis is but, we don't live in Memphis. Arlington is a small town on the edge of Shelby County and the crime rate here is near zero. So, I am not too worried about crime here.

But, we were not planning on living in Nashville for the same reasons. We were looking at Mt. Juliet, East of Nashville in Wilson County. It is a very nice little place and it has a very low crime rate as well.

But, it's a moot point now as we are staying put for the time being. But I am still looking. We'd still like to move to Indiana, where I grew up. Beautiful state, friendly gun laws, and family. What more could I ask for?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links