Motorcycle riders, your opinions please

This is a discussion on Motorcycle riders, your opinions please within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Background: I got back into motorcycles last year with a little Suzuki 650GSE. Recently my wife went for a ride, and while the bike really ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

Background: I got back into motorcycles last year with a little Suzuki 650GSE. Recently my wife went for a ride, and while the bike really isn't big enough for both of us we had fun and decided we want to ride together more.

Situation: We want either a larger cruiser or a smallish touring bike. We expect to use it for weekend trips and the occasional longer vacation. I also plan to ride it on Patriot Guard Rider missions. We want a bike with enough power for the highway, but not crazy power.

We looked at a bike today that we both really liked. It is a 2006 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, V-4, 1300cc. The 2007 version sells for about $15,500 + tax, this one was on sale for $13,000 + tax.

Questions:

1. Is this a good price?
    2. Any known problems?
    3. Any other suggestions in this price range?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

VIP Member
    Have you looked at the Kawasaki Nomad. It is a great ride for two people. My wife really liked the rear seat more than the Royal Star. It also is a lot cheaper,closer to $13,000(should be able to purchase for $12,500 or less. Hard saddlebags are standard as are footboards for driver & passenger. Engine is a 1600cc, fuel injected.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=158

here is a review as well:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roa...awasaki_nomad/

here is ours:
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I have been riding motorcycles most of my life and I can tell you choose what you are most comfortable with. Confidence in a bike is more important than features.

I've owned and ridden just about every brand since the 60's and my over all favorite has been the Royal Star Venture. Water cooled V-4, 98 hp at the crank. Brakes are decent and comfort is good. I ride a "99 with 79,000 miles on the clock. Regular maintenance is all she has experienced. Yamaha has worked out most of the bugs since '99. The engine has been around since 1983 and is bullet proof. Red line is around 8,000 rpm. A rev limiter will keep you from getting there with stock black box.

My wife loves the comfort of the bike. We pull a trailer for vacation rides; for a week end, the trunk and saddle bags do a good job.

The main thing I think you should consider is the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. I belong to an all bikes touring club in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and I have had access to just about every brand of touring bike from BMWs to sport tourers. I still prefer my Royal Star Venture.

The decision is yours, enjoy making it. Remember...what you are most comfortable with.

I almost forgot, don't pay retail. Shop on the internet and you can beat the hell out of 13,000.00. Someone has a left over that is floor planned and they need to move it. Also, the warranty is transferable, so don't hesitate to look at used bikes.

Good luck

Assistant Administrator
    I'd certainly consider a ''Rice Burner'' cruiser.

My Honda VTX 1300 is into year four and I still love it. I did add nice (Mustang) seats, extra lights and pipes etc - but heck, for about $10k down it was good value. Wife loves it and has ridden many thousands with me.

Not best pic I have, and I have new bags on now and some decals on tank etc but gives an idea ........

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Any of the big manufactuers you choose, you should be fine.
    My other half doesn't ride (and not because of me either !)
    My Yamaha vstar 650 does just fine for touring.
    (braggin' pic)
    [IMG][/IMG]
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I agree with P95. I have two bikes. The one I use the most is a Honda VTX 1300, it is a 2006. I have not changed the pipes because my second bike is a Harley Wide Glide and it has VH pipes and is very loud.

For the money, a VTX 1300 is a great bike. When I was looking for a second bike I looked at the Yamahas and Suzuki cruisers as well. I also asked the dealers to show me the maintenance costs, because I don't have the room to work on them myself and the VTX won hands down on economy.

The other thing I liked is the Honda dealership here. Their folks were a lot better to work with than the other dealers, however YMMV.

I ride the Harley on weekends and it is a completely different ride than the VTX. If you are going to do a lot of in-town riding, the VTX runs much smoother in stop and go traffic than the Harley. Probably due to the drive shaft and liquid cooling versus the Harley belt drive and air cooled. On the open road at higher speeds, the Harley is hard to beat for a smooth ride, but the VTX can hold its own and is even easier on the tight curves than the Harley.

Right now, I have the stock seat, but I am going to be putting on a Mustang soon. Saddlebags, a windshield and an engine guard are all I have added to it so far. Probably will keep the quieter pipes since I leave for work before 6:00 and my neighbors wouldn't appreciate VH Big Shots at that hour.

Good luck and stay safe!

Be true, Invest in a Harley. They keep their value, it's a Harley.

I have to agree with artz, I have a 2005 1100 Vstar, with just a pillion pad, my buddy has the same bike with a seat for his wife, It does fairly good I added a maxair engineering kit to it, that adds a little more oomph. for 8000 its a pretty good ride. My other choice would be the BMW 1200, it gets awesome mileage and I think its a little less than the royal star.

Can't go wrong with Yamaha imo. I need to change to a more touring model. The FZ6 gets kinda uncomfortable after about 500 miles.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I've never heard a bad thing about that big Yamaha. Smooth and powerful. But, definitely deal on price, as most motorcycles hold their value about like buying a new car, not that good, so might as well get a great deal up front. I rode Yamahas from about 1972 through 1981 and then went to HD and have stayed with HD ever since. My wife and I have been extremely happy with our Road King. 600+ mile days are not a problem.

for prices and sales http://www.cycletrader.com/

for reviews http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/

If you want a cruiser w/ windshield, most of the Japanese cruisers are at good price points.

If you are not locked into the crusier, you can look at other alternatives like: a used Goldwing 1500 (the newer ones are the 1800), Suzuki V-Strom and add bags and tour pack, or other standard type bikes.

Good luck and be safe. Take the MSF courses. If you have any questions on the MSF courses, let me know. I am a MSF rider coach.

[hijack]

Interestingly, I have a 2003 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado that I want to sell to beef up my 2007 Yamaha FJR-1300 fund.

If you're at all interested, I can PM details & pics.

And since you're in Colorado, I'd even bring it to you!

[/hijack]

one place to check is http://craigslist
    go to the right side of the page and click on the nearest city to you, then look up motorcycles in the for sale section.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    It looks like we're going with a 2003 Honda VTX 1800. More bike for the same $$$.

We test drove just about everything mentioned here plus some others and the VTX just seemed to fit us best. The bike also has several aftermarket add-ons like very nice seats, backrests and saddlebags.

Thanks to all for the advice, and I'll post pics when we get her home.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    I think you'll enjoy that Robb ........ do check out accessories across a broad base tho as Honda named add-ons are wicked pricey!

I did add their light bar - easy fitting. But some other things can be obtained from Motorcyclesuperstore and J&P Cycles - for example.

I also used the Honda sissy bar and associated fitting kit - again to make installation easier. This incorporated bag supports but actual bags I got elsewhere.

The injection and capacity will pull down your MPG's but more than likely your grin will ease that
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links