Automatic brass sorter

Automatic brass sorter

This is a discussion on Automatic brass sorter within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Miggy got me thinking, might there be a place in this world for an automatic brass separator. I wanted to start working on my robot ...

Thread: Automatic brass sorter

Automatic brass sorter

Miggy got me thinking, might there be a place in this world for an automatic brass separator. I wanted to start working on my robot for next years' NASA competition, but it sounds like there may be changes to the rules, do I need something to keep me busy.

Anyhow, I don't know much about brass or what the ranges do with them. Do they really sort them to reload/sell them? Or just sell the whole bucket as scrap? Does anyone (Lima, where are you) have any idea how many man-hours go into sorting brass every week?

More questions to furthur prove my ignorance:

I get the whole caliber thing, but are all cases of a given caliber the same length? I mean, is every box of .45 or 9mm or .223 the same dimensions brass, regardless of manufacturer? Including +p, etc. I know some calibers have "shorts" or "Magnums" which I am counting, for this purpose, as different calibers.

Thanks all,

Lloyd
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Moderator
    Calibers are all the same length ie all 9mm Luger is the same length more or less. For the robot I think you can assume they are the same length.

Most ranges (I think could be wrong) sell thier brass unsorted to a ammo manufacturer who then sorts and reloads it. I believe this is the way it works.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Don't know of anyhitng already out there, but if you wanted to make one, I would think a sorter could be built, maybe start with a vibrating pan, shaped kind of like a funnel cut into two, this will allow the brass to trickle down into single file, then have a drop pan to allow the heavier end to drop first, slide them down a soft grade, also vibrating, and drop through sized holes or some other maner that would pick out the different sizes. Probably have to have a second or even third set of sorters, to seperate simular diamater bases, but different tops, ie: 40S&W and .357 sig should fall through the same holes, but would need further sorting.

I'm sure others will have some good ideas better than mine.

Just an idea.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I like the idea. You might want to contact a reloader or manufacturer and ask how the brass might be packaged best to suit their manufacturing process. If you could get your machine to box the brass neatly after sorting it, that would be neato!
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

just use coin stars idea.

it separates each coin so it counts it accurately. Someone do this with the casings.

Thanks for the input so far. I've got to wonder if the remanufacturers already have a sorter of some kind. I was kinda hoping that every range pays some poor guy or girl to sit there and sort. I don't know if the ranges would buy one of these, but thought maybe I could put one on a trailer and visit the ranges every week or 2 and provide a service.

I might need to ask for donations of a few casings of every caliber if I decide to start building one fo these.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Links