Camo on your tools?

This is a discussion on Camo on your tools? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There seems to be a trend towards camo on knives, handguns and the like. I fully understand having a camo shotgun for when you're on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camo on your tools?

Camo on your tools?

There seems to be a trend towards camo on knives, handguns and the like. I fully understand having a camo shotgun for when you're on the hunt but the handguns and knives leave me puzzled.
    They are primarily camouflaged on the grips, which in general civilian use is either covered due to concealed carry or concealed by the hand, knives and guns alike.
    Then my biggest beef, let's say you but that new Kimber 1911 with the digital camo grips, and you're in the woods running around for whatever reason. You notice it fell out the holster and have to find it. I think you'll be wishing you had a SS version about now.

I'm not bashing the idea, I see the practical use for deployed service personnel carrying openly, but for the rest of us it's just one more thing to go wrong if you lose it in the grass.

Unless you can persuade me otherwise?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    But it's cooooooooooooooool.......
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    Bluing is all the camo I need.
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

On most of the things I use I see little use for Camo, aside from the cool factor on like a hat or something.

During part of my foolish younger days I decided a cell phone with a Mossy Oak case would be really cool. It was, until a party in a field one night.

No real tactical value though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Well at least with a cellphone you could call it and hope it rang, no such luck with a knife or gun.

Tried that, battery musta died overnight or something. Had to go get a new phone and everyones number the next day.

Never did figure out what happened to it
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Seriously, camo on a handgun serves no real purpose. But, if you like it (and I've seen a few here and there that I thought were attractive) and it doesn't affect the reliability of the thing, then I say go for it.

I've carried a pistol in some (I dare say) pretty inhospitable environments - climbing mountains, jumping out of planes, walking hundreds of miles through forests, fast roping, clearing buildings, and all that other hooah stuff, plus day to day CC - and I have yet to drop it, much less not notice it being gone...I think the "lost in the woods" scenario is so unlikely as to be meaningless, for most of us.

That said, I'd better paint mine hot pink and check my hip every 2 seconds tomorrow...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Eye of the owner, hey.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    To each their own....
    I have little use for hot pink guns, but some love them.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Senior Moderator
    I thought about camoing a .45 to look like a cellphone...complete with number pad and all....but I havent dont it yet.

A cellphone with a pager right beside it. Given the state of mind that most people walking around in, I'd be willing to bet that noone would notice it.

Yeah...an openly carried .45 that no one could see. Would that be great or what ?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    Hmmm.....cellphone keypad 1911 grips????? Might just be a seller. I don't go for the camo everything stuff either. gear can be lost , and is hard enough to find anyway. As long as it is blued, black or subdued color, good enough for me. (this is for hunting and field use)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I recall seeing someone paint their NEW 1985 Pontiac Fiero camo. It was definitely a "professional" job since it was brand-spanking new at the time. (Definitely NOT a spray paint and stencil do-it-yourself-in-the garage project!)

I STILL shudder at the thought!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Hulk View Post
    I recall seeing someone paint their NEW 1985 Pontiac Fiero camo. It was definitely a "professional" job since it was brand-spanking new at the time. (Definitely NOT a spray paint and stencil do-it-yourself-in-the garage project!)

I STILL shudder at the thought!
    Back in England in the '70s someone had a professional custom paintjob on a brand new Rolls Royce to replicate rust and body damage, it looked very realistic.
    Rolls Royce got a court injunction to get the paint removed, they said it was 'not befitting their marque' and the court upheld that.
    They didn't say much when Lennon had his painted while on acid, not sure why...

Anyway, lots of camo trucks here in TN, not as many camo sports cars.

Administrator
    Urban Camo for City Pistols.

Basic Brick Wall background color with overall spray painted Grafitti pattern.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

me
    No thank you. Although I fear my sister will want her side arm duracoated in flourescent Orange. Gosh I hope not
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links