Airmen! Remain seated and don't put down your coffee!

This is a discussion on Airmen! Remain seated and don't put down your coffee! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I like the blurb about throwing officers at the enemy. I was an enlisted man in the USAF but my heroes were the combat pilots. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airmen! Remain seated and don't put down your coffee!

I like the blurb about throwing officers at the enemy. I was an enlisted man in the USAF but my heroes were the combat pilots. These guys walked into briefing rooms and looked around and could say "Well about half of you guys won't come back today" They always went though. The old Army Air Corps had enlisted pilots and the reason they went to officer pilots was to get a little more pay for people risking their lives. I did take a basic similar to what the army took in 1950 but I understand that the AF no longer has 13 weeks of basic with 20 mile forced marches and bivouac. The hardest part though was going through technical schools like electronics with 20 percent attrition rates every testing cycle.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

2. Remove Ads

Another '94 guy here. Say what you want, but I don't drink coffee and very few people throw a party without inviting the Herk.
    Last edited by Herknav; May 17th, 2007 at 06:26 AM.

Swiftyjuan, I had a chance at serving on the last Titan site but ended up a facility manager (top side ncoic) on Minute Mans in the western Nebraska plains. We certainly were air conditioned, in the winter! Those buildings were pretty porous and on a 40 below night with the winds blowing 50 we had all the cold air we wanted!

Since it was just post Vietnam we also enjoyed vast popularity in town. Been told to leave businesses, had people spit on sidewalks in front of me, you name it.....

First day of basic we were told by our DI that he had made honor flight 14 in a row and we'd make 15 or else! We made it....... whew! No soft soled shoes then and we were expected to dig in our heels while marching for more volume and we all had royal cases of shin splints and messed up knees by graduation. Since it was July in Texas people passing out on asphalt drill areas was routine and we just drug 'em to the shade and put a canteen in their hand. What fun!!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    I always thought the Air Force had the smartest guys in any service. They're the ones who've figured out that the best way to fight a war is to stay well out of the line of fire and throw officers at the enemy.

pax
    That's funny. (to me anyways, enlisted puke that I was).

I was plenty gung-ho and wanted more than anything to be a gunner on an AC-130, but my the AF thought I could be better used in a no-window having building with bank-vualt doors drawing up mission plans for the pilots.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Having 45 years of Naval Aviation service, we too stayed behind on our Uncle's Haze Gray, Humongous Yacht while the officers went in harms way. In quite a few cases though, those inconsiderate rascals would take enlisted aircrew with them for moral support. I wore those Aircrew Wings of Gold myself, incidentally AF Wings are made of lead.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    incidentally AF Wings are made of lead.
    TAXI!!!! There are some marines in another thread in need of a ride

VIP Member
    azchevy: the Jolly Green giant feet....are you/have you been in the rescue community? Participate in a rescue?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

eww
    20 years Air Force . Good times and bad. I miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    In. Stationed at Hurlburt Field, Kirtland AFB, and various middle east hell holes.

My favorite site:

http://www.chairforce.com/

Sit, push buttons, mission complete!
    My son is going to Kirtland this summer, under the JR ROTC Honors Camp.. gonna be out there, in the sun and fun, for a week...
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    azchevy: the Jolly Green giant feet....are you/have you been in the rescue community? Participate in a rescue?
    You caught that. Not many people outside the community know what that means. I participated in many a rescue/insertion by ensuring the pavelow that had my name on it was in tip top mechanical shape. Rotorheads!!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    You caught that. Not many people outside the community know what that means. I participated in many a rescue/insertion by ensuring the pavelow that had my name on it was in tip top mechanical shape. Rotorheads!!!!
    11 years in an ANG rescue unit....supported units and/or personnel from Patrick, Moody, Portland, and Kirkland over the years.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Was in the ANG from 81-87 in niagara falls, (107th fig) Weapons loader on the F4-Phantom. Best time of my life !

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    11 years in an ANG rescue unit....supported units and/or personnel from Patrick, Moody, Portland, and Kirkland over the years.
    I miss Patrick. I was TDY back when the AD rescue squadrons were still there. Base housing a block from the beach. What an assignment. Cocounts bar in cocoa beach. The Hoffbrau on Menaul and Penn in Albuquerque. Fighting with the PJ's. God the Air Force was so much fun.

Active duty. 2003-current. E-5 select (two more weeks!!). 2W1, Weapons Maintenance Team Chief. Voluntold for READY team twice.

Hey Kruz, ever work anything other then the F-4? I've been told, that as bad as maintenance on a 16 is, it was even worse on a F-4, that true?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Reminds me of something I read long ago:

The Army: Man it sucks here.
    The Navy: Man it looks like it sucks over there.
    The Marines: I LOVE HOW IT SUCKS HERE!
    The Air Force: No Cable?! That sucks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links