SpringTime In Texas

SpringTime In Texas

This is a discussion on SpringTime In Texas within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ah, Spring time in Texas! Anybody up for a midnight snipe hunt? Taken from the Stephenville newspaper: The Great Rattlesnake Hunter from Proctor has been ...

Thread: SpringTime In Texas

1952 - 2006

SpringTime In Texas

Ah, Spring time in Texas! Anybody up for a midnight snipe hunt?
    Taken from the Stephenville newspaper:

The Great Rattlesnake Hunter from Proctor has been out looking under rocks again, this time near Alexander.
    On Valentine's Day, Jim Bob Basham, holding the snake, and his fellow hunters, Danny Fincannon and Johnny McClatchy of Dublin, uncovered a den of rattlers that yielded this monster. This snake is even bigger than the one Basham caught last November that made its rounds on the Internet. Big Charlie here is more than 6 feet (an exact measurement was not attempted) and weighs 11 pounds. He boasts 15 rattlers and a button. He was sharing the den with 11 other rattlers that were all caught alive.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Red face

Just another reason, in my opinion, for carrying a firearm !!

VIP Member
    Beautiful snake. I leave venomous snakes alone if I see them in the wild, but if they're by the house or where my little nieces might run into them, they're going to get killed.

A few years ago, my brother and I came across this huge rattler that was crossing a country road. I kid you not, that guy stretched all the way across that road. My brother ran over him and then backed over him. The big guy slithered off into the grass and disappeared.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

1943 - 2009
    Those guys are crazy!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Fairly common sight where I'm from. Of course they're not usually that big and I don't go looking for them. Then again I don't have to.

I personally eschew firearms, which are loud and noisy and will attract unwanted attention, in favor of hand to hand combat with these things. I find a sharp garden ho is by far the most effective means by which to dispatch one.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Fairly common sight where I'm from. Of course they're not usually that big and I don't go looking for them. Then again I don't have to.

I personally eschew firearms, which are loud and noisy and will attract unwanted attention, in favor of hand to hand combat with these things. I find a sharp garden ho is by far the most effective means by which to dispatch one.

Gee Euc, you mean you actually carry a garden hoe around town? LOL !! pardon my sense of humor, couldn't resist.

You laugh Prospector but when I worked at the lumberyard I used to carry a shovel or a garden ho around early in the day when there were few customers and things were dull.

I would patrol the edges of the parking lot looking for the things and about three times a month I'd find one or two.

Chop Chop. Lawsuit prevented.

Last time I visted my old stomping grounds the Outside Lawn and Garden manager lamented he couldn't get any of the new guys to do it.

That reminds me, I need to get a new shovel for the truck.

DC Founder
    Notice Euclidean keeps spelling it "ho" rather than "hoe". You get arrested around here for that. Texas must have changed since I moved away.

Seriously, though I used to live on a ranch between Proctor and Dublin. We had loads of those damned things. My brother still has some property there and has quite a few. I pulled up to our gate one day and started to get out (I was in a 3/4 GMC 4wd truck). Before my left leg could hit the ground I felt something slap it. I looked and a rattler had struck me through my jeans with his fangs being stopped by the top of my boots. Damned thing squirted venom all the way down my boot. I of course got full back in the truck pretty quick and grabbed a 12 gauge we had in the truck. With him coiled up immediately below me, I am embarrassed to say I didn't hit him on the first shot. I blame it on the wad of vinyl seatcovers that somehow got wedged in my rear end. They are interesting critters but I would walk a mile to kill one.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Red face

Yep springtime in Texas....as I was moving two ladders from the view...took some knife pics I posted elsewhere...I moved the first ladder and started to grab the other when I spotted this critter coiled up on the upper step...about crapped my pants! No Betty, I didn't hurt it...but I did put on some gloves to grab it....think it is a bull snake or maybe gopher snake not quite 4 foot....anyway, it has been relocated to the back of my yard in a nice place to find mice!
    Attached Images

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospector
    I didn't hurt it...
    You shoulda skinned him for a belt, hatband or scabbard, gutted, cleaned him, battered him, fried him and had him for dinner. I love fried rattlesnake and I bet a bullsnake tastes the same. :fing02:
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator

Thumbs up

That There Is A Big & Fine Reptile!

Gary brommeland makin' any nice snakeskin holsters these days?

Links