Finally got a flat screen monitor

This is a discussion on Finally got a flat screen monitor within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; the old monitor finally fizzled out. Literally. I saw blue sparks near the on/off switch yesterday when I turned it on. Wow , what a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a flat screen monitor

Lead Moderator

Finally got a flat screen monitor

the old monitor finally fizzled out. Literally. I saw blue sparks near the on/off switch yesterday when I turned it on. Wow , what a difference from the old screen . Images are so much better than before.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Congrats Rocky.
    Yep...they are great.
    I never knew what I was missing.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Monitor attrition is often so gradual we don't realize how much they can degrade.

I still use conventional CRT monitors (21") but the time is fast approaching when I shall if affordable, move to LCD's of similar size ... the reduction in bulk and heat output is more than attractive.

Enjoy
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Glad to see that you have joined us here in the flat world. The crt's are so big just the extra acreage saved is worth the investment.

Your optometrist will thank you too.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Another one joins the Dark Side. LCD's aren't bad, but I'm too cheap to fork over the extra cash for one. I've got plenty of room, so it's not a necessity. Besides, I like my 21" CRT (except when I have to move the 70 pound beast). It's a 10 year old Hitachi workhorse.

To each his (or her) own. Congrats on the upgrade Rocky. Whether guns or computers, new toys are always fun!

And, I know, guns are not toys But range time is fun .
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I am looking at an Acer 20" LCD monitor around $270 up here, although I might fork out and buy a small Acer flat screen tv for gaming. Right now I use a 19" CRT monitor which my cat loves as he can sit on it, soak up the warmth and be with me. He is going to be really annoyed with the LCD, will have to come up with a cat friendly solution!

I am looking at an Acer 20" LCD monitor around $270 up here.

Take a look at this one!!

Well shoot. I couldn't get the link to come up. Just copy and paste it to another window.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...647&CatId=1410

ohhhhhhh, now it works. LOL...

Flatscreen's are the way to go. Smaller form factor, use less energy, crisper images, and most importantly EASY on the eyes!!

The image is displayed is constant. Not the best description. Using a CRT, scans and displays over and over. If you watch a tv show (probably more likely on a news channel) where a CRT computer screen is being shown, you usually can see a horizontal line move down the screen. If you see an LCD, you will not see that.

Definitely less stress on the eyes, especially if you are in front of a computer for a long time.

My opthamologist has equipped her complete office with LCD screens. I asked her why and she told me that they are better for the eyes.

Flatscreen's are the way to go. Smaller form factor, use less energy, crisper images, and most importantly EASY on the eyes!!

The image is displayed is constant. Not the best description. Using a CRT, scans and displays over and over. If you watch a tv show (probably more likely on a news channel) where a CRT computer screen is being shown, you usually can see a horizontal line move down the screen. If you see an LCD, you will not see that.

Definitely less stress on the eyes, especially if you are in front of a computer for a long time.

My opthamologist has equipped her complete office with LCD screens. I asked her why and she told me that they are better for the eyes.

Administrator

I have an Acer

Back when I bought mine Staples was running a sale on them.

I'm real happy with it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    Yup, this one is an Acer too. 20" seems to work well so far.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

When I was working at Sig..............they were tossing out some 19" LCD monitors.. for what reason I'll never figure out, BUT.. I was authorized to take one home, and put a cord with it, and fixed a lose wire and boom.....it works great... hehehe
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

a good flat screen monitor is worth it. suck it up, spit out the cash, and it pays for itself really quick.
    What's this button do?

I have a ViewSonic 19" Wide-screen I got about a year ago, had some doubt back then if it was worth it.. now I will never go back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links