Wal-Mart Security

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart Security within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm all for them doing their job, its a valued service otherwise these places wouldnt have them. As much as security guys get a bad ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart Security

Administrator
    I'm all for them doing their job, its a valued service otherwise these places wouldnt have them. As much as security guys get a bad rap, I do have a lot of respect for them. The do a lot with less, and most of them I have dealt with in my job have been great.

My run in was very much like peacefuljeffery's, except this kid decided to go hands on with me in the store between the register area and the shopping carts. I assume he mistook my pistol for some stolen mechandise and went for it. He ended up wearing his own handcuffs (yes, I put them on) and I ended up with some extra walking around money.
    I dont blame the kid so much as I do the store. He was not trained to deal with anything properly, much less know what he can and cannot do. Had I been a BG, that kid could have been easily killed all for a crime that never happened, and a person he should have never confronted.
    Last edited by SIXTO; May 20th, 2007 at 09:15 AM. Reason: the names have been changed to protect the innocent
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I guess Walmart doesn't want their family image to be tainted by people seeing a gun when they walk in the store. But Walmart knows in most places there are a dozen people carrying at any given time.

How demoralizing it must be to go to work wearing a holster and mags, but no gun.
    LOL .. I agree

Our local WalMart has a decent team of store security. They really do a great job! They just recently caught a child molester in their bathroom. But, back to my story, I have shopped there since it was built many years ago, although I HATE going there.

Anyways, I would often see the security guys and gals. They do pretty at well blending in, but after riding with the local PD, I now know the main players. They don't wear any garb at all. Standard street attire. Maybe a radio, but you still have to be looking for it.

Once I got my CWP, I of course did the mandatory WalMart and nachos trip. Well, I have always after that day noticed that when I went shopping, I always had one of the security detail around me for some reason. ( I am 35 y/o 6 ft 200 lbs and dress in jeans and work shirts) No matter what department I was in, or whether I started at garden, and walked to grocery, I would turn and see them. I figured they had seen me printing. I really didn't care much. It just annoyed me.

Well, a couple weeks back, I went into the store with a friend that knows the staff, and as I was telling her that I always have these people watching me, here comes the main guy! I chuckled, and he walked up and started talking to her. They talked about work related events (she's a dispatcher, so she knows what goes on in there). I just watched and laughed at their stories. He looked at me, and never said anything directly, but I could see it in his eyes, that I was now "ok".

Haven't been followed since. I realize they have a job to do. I do not know why it seemed like I was being watched. I really don't care. I figured if they decided to approach me, I would ask to be taken to the manager's office and wait for the PD to arrive to sort things out. If they mentioned the reason was because of my weapon, I would ask for PD to be called in and wouldn't speak until they got there. I haven't had to do it, so ..........

All is now good when I go to WalMart........
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Are you serious?! Are you sure they're actually gun magazines?

That's just ... that's just ridiculous!
    YEP! Real magazines!

We went to see 28 Week Later last night and there was one of them standing just in front of us while we were waiting in line to get our popcorn. He had 4 magazines in a magazine pouch on the front left side of his utility belt, then his radio, his night stick, a flash light, handcuffs, a handcuff key, and an empty holster.

It was hilarious!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Are you serious?! Are you sure they're actually gun magazines?

That's just ... that's just ridiculous!
    There is an rational explanation for this...

These guys work for an outside contractor, not Walmart or the movie theater. Some accounts (locations) they work are armed, others such as Lima's movie house are not. Sometimes, the customer prefers unarmed guards. So instead of tearing down the entire belt each time the guards post is changed, he just takes the gun out of the belt.
    A guard might work his normal shift act a armed location such as a factory, then pick up overtime working at the unarmed theater for a few hours.
    So it might seem that the guard is a goof, but its really practical for them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Unarmed 'mall ninja' secutity guards send a clear message: the store thinks your safety is nothing but a big joke.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

me
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I assume he mistook my pistol for some stolen mechandise and went for it. He ended up wearing his own handcuffs (yes, I put them on) and I ended up with some extra walking around money.
    I have a feeling he defecated himself when he found out you are a cop and he could have had your gun pulled on him for trying to grab it. Did you have a nice long conversation with he and his boss that night after that happened?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Don't Knock the Mag Carry...

Do you have ANY idea how much it would hurt if someone hit you with a mag?...that's some serious pain...you could even get a scar...

...and it sounds like he even had a BUM (Back Up Mag)...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hey you guys . He may have a hidden back up gun. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    YEP! Real magazines!

We went to see 28 Week Later last night and there was one of them standing just in front of us while we were waiting in line to get our popcorn. He had 4 magazines in a magazine pouch on the front left side of his utility belt, then his radio, his night stick, a flash light, handcuffs, a handcuff key, and an empty holster.

It was hilarious!
    Did you ask him why he carries mags but no gun?

Sounds just as stupid as a football bat

Politically correct "Sheeple Security" is usually a humorous thing to see to the sheep dogs when out and about.

It is scary though.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    I have a feeling he defecated himself when he found out you are a cop and he could have had your gun pulled on him for trying to grab it. Did you have a nice long conversation with he and his boss that night after that happened?
    My job was never an issue, he never knew that until later. My gun never left its holster. I dont even think he knew it was a gun until after the fact, unless he did see it. I was wearing a tight fitting sweater, so he may have. I dont know, I can only assume.
    Yeah, I did many conversations with the higher ups and their legal dept. over a long period of time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    There is an rational explanation for this...

These guys work for an outside contractor, not Walmart or the movie theater. Some accounts (locations) they work are armed, others such as Lima's movie house are not. Sometimes, the customer prefers unarmed guards. So instead of tearing down the entire belt each time the guards post is changed, he just takes the gun out of the belt.
    A guard might work his normal shift act a armed location such as a factory, then pick up overtime working at the unarmed theater for a few hours.
    So it might seem that the guard is a goof, but its really practical for them.
    Also there may be a supervisor filling in for someone who is late for work. Definitely more expedient than breaking down the belt, but it still looks bad. When I did security, we only had one or two customers that absolutely refused armed officers. Most of the "unarmed" assignments were just too stingy to pay the extra $$$ for armed, but they had no problem with the officers being armed.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

One of my 1st jobs was at a Baskin and Robbins ice cream shop in a strip mall..We had 2 security goofs..One old and one young.Mostly they just wanted free ice cream,but they did keep an eye on the store while I was there.One night they come in all excited saying how they have a gun w/ a "silencer"..I was like 16,but familiar with guns.So I say let me see it..he pulls out this little auto w/ a tiny Movie type silencer SCREWED INTO THE BARREL.So I say"how does the bullet come out?"He just mumbled and left.It was definatly a fake gun.Which to me is just begging to get either arrested or shot by a real gun...Well he never brought it up again..a few weeks later he was fired for beating the snot out of some skateboarder.They never had security after that.....
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links