I am back!

This is a discussion on I am back! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's been 3 weeks of cranial melt down. At the beginning of the month, actually the 30th of April, I started an initial type rating ...

Thread: I am back!

I am back!

It's been 3 weeks of cranial melt down.

At the beginning of the month, actually the 30th of April, I started an initial type rating class for the Lr-45. It was one week of class work on the complete aircraft systems and limitations. Two weeks of level D simulation. Being it was an initial type rating I got the excellent excellent sim time of 2130 to 0300. Yes, that's OMG it's late/early. I finished with flying colors on thursday.

Yeah, I'm jazzed.

I've been flying Lear 20 series and 30 series for a couple of years now, but this is my first foray into an all glass cockpit. That and it's a much cleaner airplane. It takes noticably longer to slow down than the Learjets I've flown before.

So, anyway, I thought I'd drop back in, say hi and laugh about the drawn gun....

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Thumbs up

That's great. Welcome Back.
    How was the weather up there?
    Sorry...I couldn't resist.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Excellent Jim - good to have you back.

I envy you the job - but way too old now to ever get my ''wings''. Sounds like you are just a tad pleased!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome back. the second para made me understand you are a pilot , the first made no sense .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I always enjoy hearing from/about a person who really loves their work. Sounds like a pretty cool career. I'm afraid the closest I'll get to flying is the radio control aircraft I have fun with.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

Administrator
    Hot dog, congrats on the new rating.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Excellent Jim - good to have you back.

I envy you the job - but way too old now to ever get my ''wings''. Sounds like you are just a tad pleased!!!
    P95 you're never too old to get your license. So long as you can pass the physical and if you've not been dead too long that usually isn't a problem. A little time, like 3 months. A bit of money, anywhere between 2 and 4 thousand. And you're off to the wild blue.

Assistant Administrator
    Jim - altho not too bad for 62 I am not so sure I'd pass the physical - and, also not sure I'd want to hit savings as hard as that. I do in fact have a chance for some stick time now and again with a buddy and his 2 seat ultralight - bit of a ''toy'' compared to your stuff but very pleasantly basic.

I also fly RC stuff which takes some cash to do but that gives me much pleasure - with feet on ground
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Congrats, Jim!
    Welcome back - safe & sound!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Congratulations on the rating! What a fabulous opportunity, to fly that kind of plane. Being only low & slow rated myself, I can only imagine. The only "advanced" rating I ever picked up was for taildraggers, so I could fly the '40 Porterfield.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Seriously, there's something about flying taildraggers on a sunny day that corporate pilots will never get. I've got some time flying a citabria. There's something about the stick and rudder flying that brings out the poets in all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by aepilotjim View Post
    Seriously, there's something about flying taildraggers on a sunny day that corporate pilots will never get. I've got some time flying a citabria. There's something about the stick and rudder flying that brings out the poets in all of us.
    You certainly have a point there. In fact, the one paragraph that summed up why I wanted to be a pilot (without a prayer of earning a living at it) was written by a fellow from my hometown, aviation writer and radio personality Gordon Baxter, who's column "Bax Seat" appeared in Flying magazine for years. Bax passed away back in 2005.

I would go out to Pappy Sheffield's grass airport and get the yellow J-3 Cub and go fly it in the heat beneath puff-ball clouds as their shadows drifted across the field and do touch-and-goes. I would throttle back and do long, delicious side-slips back to earth. With the side open, the window pinned up under the wing and the door let down on the landing gear strut, I would feel the warm wind on my face as I looked out and saw when the wheel touched. If you bring the Cub in just exactly right, descent rate, speed, pitch, all of it just exactly right, the three wheels will touch at the same instant, and that fat tire never lifts an inch from that first contact. There is not an ounce of lift left in that wing, and the little airplane just starts rolling, if you do it just exactly right.

And with your head out like that, you can smell the tires crush the clover.

Gordon Baxter, December 25, 1923 - June 11, 2005
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I used to fly planes in the University of Michigan flying club...years ago...haven't flown since moving to and living in AK from '83 - '90...
    It definitely gets into your blood...I envy your skills with the jet engine...

I have flown an ultralight and a sailplane...once each! (Had a tough time with 'touch and go's' with the sailplane.)

You must love your job...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have flown an ultralight and a sailplane...once each! (Had a tough time with 'touch and go's' with the sailplane.)

Corporate flying is getting to be like any other job. But when I go out flying for myself in a little cessna or piper. That's when the joy comes back again. Playing in those puffball clouds is truly an enlightening experience.

Links