Off the subject of guns, and on to a car problem

This is a discussion on Off the subject of guns, and on to a car problem within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I need info or suggestions, don't know what to do. My wife graduated from nursing school last week so I bought her a brand new ...

Thread: Off the subject of guns, and on to a car problem

I need info or suggestions, don't know what to do. My wife graduated from nursing school last week so I bought her a brand new Lexus IS 250. We got it Thursday afternoon at around 5:30 pm. The next morning my wife driving my kids to school and BAM!, a lady runs a stop sign and hits her on the right front of the car. Fortunatley, except for some sore necks, my wife and kids are o.k.. Now my dilema, the lady did have Allstate insurance and we have contacted them, I dont know if we should try and get a new car out of the insurance or just go to a lawyer? I really dont want to go to a lawyer but I want my wife to have a non wrecked new car that she deserves. Especially when we only had it a little over 13 hours. My wife and I are very upset because we worked and waited so long to get the car for her and a lady screwed it all up by doing a California roll at the stop sign. If anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance harley91....
    Harley 91
    "For those who fight for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"!
    Kimber Ultra CDP II .45, Kimber Custom II
    XD 9mm sc, XD 40 sc, .357 Colt King Cobra,
    .22 Berreta Bobcat

(( removed since it made no sense, mostly because my reading comprehension is worthless before the first pot of coffee ))
    Last edited by Shizzlemah; May 20th, 2007 at 12:23 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Umm... it *was* a new car, not used. Hopefully, you can get full replacement value for the car, and not market value. I wouldn't hold my breath, though... but I'm a pessimistic person. Best of luck to you, and I'm sorry you've got to go through this - but look at it this way: At least it happened at an "up" moment, a good time in your life. You were celebrating your wife's completion of her career training. Trust me, what you're going through is much better than having life just dump on you all at once.

Is it a write off?
    Is it just dented?

My truck had less than 200 miles on it when I got rear-ended, it sucked that I had to have repairs on a brand new vehicle but it was the only option.

The most important thing is already resolved, nobody got hurt. The vehicle is just a 'thing'. It will have dings in the doors from car parks by Fall. This time next year it will no longer be the new 'baby'.

My guess is you will get it fixed and forget about it.

The insurance company will spend up to the last dollar in repair cost up to the value of the car before they will call it totaled, and give you a check.

When my truck was hit it was not new but had 2/3 of it value left. They spent almost that much repairing it.

Good luck if you go the lawyer rout. Just make sure you pay the lawyer nothing unless they get you a check for a new car, plus fees.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I have to say Allstate is one of the best I have dealt with however do not let them bully you on a settlement.

What you do is demand the vehicle be replaced because it is new or you will go see a lawyer and do not give any recorded statements.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Did you have GAP insurance that covers the amount that insurance doesn't want to pay. Insurance companies always want to pay for repair or pay wholesale not what you paid. Gap covers the amount over the cost of a lost or totaled vehicle. I'd at least consult a lawyer to see if you had grounds for replacement. Less than 48 hrs and bam, that just sucks.

The insurance company will spend up to the last dollar in repair cost up to the value of the car before they will call it totaled, and give you a check.
    Maybe. Maybe not.

9 of 10 insurance companies won't do it out of a sense of honor, you can almost guarantee it. They'll do it because you (and perhaps your attorney) is watching to ensure they do exactly that, on a timely basis, to your satisfaction ... including down to the last nickel of worth that covers the anticipated (agreed-upon) lost market value due to the simple fact that it has now had a crash.

On that last point, the only way you'll really know the ultimate "hit" you've taken in the actual market value of the car due to the crash is: sell it. As part of the arrangement with the insurance company, you could get that part in writing, that you're intending to sell and any final adjustment is going to incorporate the actual lost market value as evidenced by the selling price impact you actually take. Sell it, collect that final actual-market-value-loss component, then purchase a new car. That is the full value of the crash ... uh, excluding your time and pain to get all of this done in this fashion, of course.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Do you own a sledge hammer?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

I would get a GOOD attorney

A lady hit me in the rear at a stop light in 1990.I had x rays and all that,no apparent damage.17 years later that sore neck has turned into a problem if I twist the wrong way,swim in really cold water etc.My point is this kind of damage can show up years later.But,as I said above,get a really good attorney.Some attorneys will just take your case to tie it up,then they put you on the back burner to take the big money cases.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    My truck had less than 200 miles on it when I got rear-ended, it sucked that I had to have repairs on a brand new vehicle but it was the only option.

The most important thing is already resolved, nobody got hurt. The vehicle is just a 'thing'. It will have dings in the doors from car parks by Fall. This time next year it will no longer be the new 'baby'.

My guess is you will get it fixed and forget about it.
    +1 My dad bought a brand new 2007 Honda Civic EX and it had only a few weeks but less than 1K miles on it when a woman pulled out in front of him while he was legally doing the speed limit of 35.

They repaired the car (The shop that officially fixes Honda's when cars are delivered with paint chips, etc. We're not far from Marysville, OH which is a major Honda manufacturer.). The woman had been driving a Lexus SUV.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Have your wife go to the doctor with the "delayed medical problems" that have surfaced since the accident. The lady's insurance better provide a brand new car, or an attorney can get it for you - plus some.

OMO...but I think you're going to have a repaired car...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

<-------wishes someone would have bought him a new Lexus after graduating nursing school. Although I bought a Ducati for myself the next week. The insurance company will always go the cheaper route, and since Lexi have high resale value, they are going to probally just try to fix it. My brother wrecked a 7 year old ES300 and they spent 9k fixing a 10-11k car. Sucky part is that you will have a bad carfax on your vehicle when you go to sell it.

Links