Any Mechanics Here?

This is a discussion on Any Mechanics Here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have done a lot of work on vehicles. But Im not a mechanic or anything so a few questions. I have a Nissan 4wd. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Mechanics Here?

Thumbs down Any Mechanics Here?

I have done a lot of work on vehicles. But Im not a mechanic or anything so a few questions.

I have a Nissan 4wd. I just got Mud Tires ut on and today I went to change the brakes. I noticed that the fool at the tire place totally broke off a stud where the lug nuts screw on.
    And they didnt even tell me.

I was wondering if I made a 600mile (round trip) drive, would I be all right till I got back?

I wont be doing any off-road driving this trip, its all highway miles.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

2. Remove Ads

I'm no mechanic either but unless you have 6 lugs per rim with 1 broken I don't think I'd trust it.

Did you lose 1 out of 4? 1 out of 5? Not great odds to me. :)

Stay safe - get a rental for the trip.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

What the heck, you've still got 4 or 5 left, right?

I'm no mechanic, but I drove for a couple weeks down one lug (though always close to home) before I bothered replacing it. Though not on the freeway. If it don't vibrate though, I might risk it. If you are concerned, replacing it really was much quicker than expected. Hose it down now with wd-40. Beat it out, new one goes in. Tighten.

Have a safe one.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I'm not a mechanic either but I have seen plenty of trucks with broken wheel bolts, in fact I saw one once that was a five nut down to a three nut, that was on a construction site, the truck did 60 miles a day as long as I was there...

It will fail at some point, but probably after 500,000 miles which is way after the rest of the vehicle.

I did mechanic work way back when & I've seen plenty of vehicles missing a wheel stud or two. You should be fine. The biggest problem from over torquing lug nuts is warping the brake rotors. You may want to have them properly torque the wheels before your trip, then let them repair when you get back (at no charge to you of course).

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    I did mechanic work way back when & I've seen plenty of vehicles missing a wheel stud or two. You should be fine. The biggest problem from over torquing lug nuts is warping the brake rotors. You may want to have them properly torque the wheels before your trip, then let them repair when you get back (at no charge to you of course).
    + 1
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Get it replaced if you can. Andy gave some good reasons why. If you end-up warping your rotor bad enough, you may not be able to get it "turned-out" and you'll be stuck buying a new rotor.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

you'll be fine, just get it replaced when you get home.
    I've had'em break before due to just plain stress on the tire and wheel while I'm out rockcrawling in the desert.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking too. also if they are over torqued, it is possible the rest of the studs are fatigued /stressed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yea don't chance it!
    Dont leave home for a long trip knowing its that way... imo

~Teg

I'm a mechanic...but unless it has wings, rotors or jet engines, i'm of no use....but I would agree with fatman.....why take the chance?? I'd go back to that place and ask why they didn't bother to tell you they broke it and have them fix it or replace it.
    Last edited by rocky; May 23rd, 2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: quote deleted
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Probably won't do any harm, especially if you have 6-lug wheels. I drove on 5 lugs for quite a while. Then again, its about a 10 minute, $10 fix at any competent shop.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I personally would go and fix it when you get back.

If it a lug that can be replaced by dropping it in then fix it yourself. Some have to be pressed out and then pressed in.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I wont be able to fix it before my road trip. And the road trip isn't for pleasure, so its not as though Im just putting it off because Im lazy.
    Last edited by rocky; May 23rd, 2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: quote & reply deleted
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

My advice as a former Quality Control engineer is to maintain equipment to the design standards that were used to make it. These are not too hard to replace. Just to get you home is OK but to drive a long time is foolhardy.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links