Who knows Firefox inside and out?

This is a discussion on Who knows Firefox inside and out? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a question about Firefox. First off I really like it. I hate Explorer. But, one thing I dislike about Firefox is the fact ...

Thread: Who knows Firefox inside and out?

I have a question about Firefox. First off I really like it. I hate Explorer.

But, one thing I dislike about Firefox is the fact that mine dumps all my bookmarks every now and then. It happened today. i came home from work and there was nothing in my bookmark drop down. I had to import a saved copy that was several months old and didn't have everything that I had just last night. So, now I am mad at my operating system and needing to figure out why the heck it does this every so often.

Anyone out there know or have any ideas?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

i run it on a mac and never had firefox do it

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I've had it happen from a power outage or if there's a critical error in Firefox and it shuts down. I just learn to not use bookmarks anymore, lol.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Are you running an extension or theme that hasn't been updated?
    Is your Firefox updated?

Keep it current and you should be good.

Firefox stores your bookmarks (in Windows XP in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\somename

If you look in there you might see a bookmarks-1.html or a bookmarks.bak file. Those would be backup bookmarks lists.
    You can rename the existing bookmarks.html file to something else, then rename one of the backup files to bookmarks.html. Then restart Firefox and see if they come back.
    If they don't... then once you recreate your bookmarks, you can go under Bookmarks, organize bookmarks, then click on FILE-EXPORT and create a backup of your bookmarks.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

It is current. It has been updated several times but it still does it from time to time. I am very puzzled about this and sure would like a fix for it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I haven't heard of anyone having this problem for some time. If you're running v 2.0 you should be fine.

weird ... anyway this extension might help https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2109
    or this one https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410

If this were to happen again, I would move the bookmarks.bak file to the desktop, uninstall firefox, and do a fresh install of the latest version. I remember this happening in earlier builds, but not for some time. A fresh install might resolve the problem. I have some issues myself with the browser crashing, but I'm running Vista. Eventually, they'll fix the issue. It's still better than exploder.

Quote Originally Posted by teknoid View Post
    It's still better than exploder.
    Was that intentional?

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Was that intentional?
    Definitely

Can you believe Microsloth put out a browser that doesn't work with some of their own products? I can't even run the web-based outlook on it for my work email.

Mine FF stores five prior to current automatically, plus I export frequently and do full BU's of entire system

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

While my FF doesn't behave like this; I back my bookmarks up online for free to www.mybookmarks.com This also make them portable so you can get to them where ever you are.

Good luck,

Craig

I like the mybookmarks.com idea.

Also, does anyone know where the bookmarks.bak file is located in the FF folder? I can't find the darn thing.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Bookmarks are an HTML file in your profile.

Assuming you're on Windows:
    • Make sure you can see hidden files.
    • Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\Boo kmarks.html (note that Application Data is a hidden folder so you can't see it until you take care of step one).
    • copy that bookmarks.html file elsewhere
    • or better yet copy the entire XXXXXXXX.default folder elsewhere

Also you could use a backup program like SyncBack to back up your profile (and anything else you want to back up) regularly.

EDIT
    Just thought of an easier way to do this from within Firefox.

Go to Bookmarks menu, select "Organize Bookmarks". In the window that pops up go to File menu and select "Export" and you can save a copy of your bookmarks.html file elsewhere ... if it dumps your bookmarks you can go the same route and select "Import" and import them back in.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Funny, I've only lost bookmarks with IE (The software gypsies [aka network admins] like to steal things from my government computer in the middle of the night).

I've been using Foxmarks for some time now and it works great. Especially ideal for one such as me who uses several different computers.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Sponsored Links