My first wound from a gun - Page 2

My first wound from a gun

This is a discussion on My first wound from a gun within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Painful lima!!!! Not the best improvized slide stop for sure! I have not had that happen but like so many have bitten a thumb real ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first wound from a gun

Assistant Administrator
    Painful lima!!!! Not the best improvized slide stop for sure!

I have not had that happen but like so many have bitten a thumb real hard - M1A for one but the most deadly (IMO) slide/bolt in the world is on a Hakim - man that sucker hurts!

All down to experience
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

This thread reminds me of the scene in the movie JAWS where everybody was comparing scars. Try shooting a scoped rifle in a REALLY heavy caliber for the first time and holding the scope too close to the eye. "Scope Bite" leaves a distinct cresent shaped wound that is unmistakable. I earned mine from a Winchester 458 Magnum.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Been There...Done That...

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    This thread reminds me of the scene in the movie JAWS where everybody was comparing scars. Try shooting a scoped rifle in a REALLY heavy caliber for the first time and holding the scope too close to the eye. "Scope Bite" leaves a distinct cresent shaped wound that is unmistakable. I earned mine from a Winchester 458 Magnum.
    Still have the scar from a 30-30 scope...30 years ago! Never felt a thing, just took the shot and thought I was sweating...a ton of blood...

Stay armed...away from the scope...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Scope Bite!! Haven't had the pleasure yet, but I saw it happen to another guy and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy (while maybe, but let's not go there).

Anyway, I can't remember what the guy was shooting but they call it "eye relief" for a reason. His eye started out WAY too close to the scope and when he pulled the trigger it was like he got hit in the forehead with a hammer.

His head snapped back and blood went everywhere. It looked like someone just took a knife and cut his forehead. I couldn't see very clearly but I think he was crying as well.... ahhhh.. poor guy.

That was a good scene in JAWS..

One reason I wear a ballcap is because I've also had hot brass jump between my thick skull and my prescription eyeglasses. Then it's a case of finger off the trigger and rip the glasses off with the weak-hand, shake head and put the glasses back on...while cursing not too softly.

Worst injury I ever got was firing a Walther PPK. I'd taken care to put adhesive tape over the back of my hand "just in case". Instead of slicing my hand as I expected, it rode the adhesive tape just fine....until the slide closed on a fold of skin, trapping it between the frame and back of the slide. The owner of the gun said I invented 21 new swear words. Fortunately the tape protected me somewhat but it hurt like a SonOfa**!
    BillCA in CA (Unfortunately)
    Webmaster - Taking on Gun Control
    http://dragon.hematite.com
    A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone!

VIP Member
    Garand Thumb!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator

Wink

Not only will you have to watch how you start off telling stories to yer hubby but, also how you title your DefensiveCarry threads.

"My first wound from a gun"

Glad you're OK lima and that it was only an "ouch!"
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Only if you promise to adopt her for the teen years when she's crying her eyes out about boys, sneaking out of the house (or at least trying to), trying to convince us to let her wear far too suggestive clothing, dying her hair pink, piercing her tongue (or any other weird body part) and screaming that no one understands her.

Okay, I never did the dying my hair and piercing weird body parts, but I gave my poor parents enough trouble to where I've decided a girl like me would be a good thing only BEFORE her twelfth birthday and AFTER she hit twenty, in between are eight years of torture.

You get those years!

I've already got one that's having her 13th birthday next month. Put up with yours too? I'll be taking my business elsewhere!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

You know, those open slides on Berettas make getting part of your hand stuck between the slide and barrel really easy if you're not paying attention or your grip slips. Although, they don't have that "tang" on the barrel breech which is probably what cut your hand. I had the same thing happen to me last week while clearing the chamber for some dry-fire practice, caught the heel of my hand but didn't cut it. My brother thought it was really funny.
    On a side note, everyone who was in my practical shooting class ended up with bleeding thumbs after an ambidextrous course of fire that included switching from right to left hand firing. Apparently no one had thought of moving their right thumbs to the right side of their pistols while shooting left handed.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    LOL lima Mine was too many years ago to count , but i can still attest that the somewhat worn in this case fixed fireing pin on a colt SAA can penetrate a thumbnail if driven by a new spring .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    As my husband left the couch to get what I had asked of him he said, "What happened?"

I replied with, "I got my first wound from a gun."

You have such a way with words! Nothing like scaring the crap out of "hubby"!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I've been bit by a HP, my SW 5906 bit me with the slide, and a tang on a double barrel caught me between my thumb and forefinger...

lol... I'll never forget those..

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MD_Willington View Post
    I've been bit by a HP, my SW 5906 bit me with the slide, and a tang on a double barrel caught me between my thumb and forefinger...

lol... I'll never forget those..
    Never had slide bite yet (knock on wood) but I've seen it. That space between the thumb and the finger can be painful. The worst I've ever had there is a paper cut.. that's about all I'll ever wish for.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I can see why John would be worried. Don't be scaring him like that! If you get a chance, check out a M1 Garand. M1 thumb hurts too.
    Yeah, yeah; all the new boys at SJMA eventually got one of those.
    I did it a couple of times.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Suggestion: Don't use peroxide. It kills the living cells and can actually cause more infection and slow healing. Use something like Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links