My first wound from a gun

This is a discussion on My first wound from a gun within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I came home from work last night, walked in the door and said, "Honey, can you get me a band-aid and some peroxide?" As my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first wound from a gun

Senior Moderator

My first wound from a gun

I came home from work last night, walked in the door and said, "Honey, can you get me a band-aid and some peroxide?"

As my husband left the couch to get what I had asked of him he said, "What happened?"

I replied with, "I got my first wound from a gun."

Perhaps that was the wrong thing to say because suddenly, here comes John, FLYING around the corner with a look of horror on his face screaming, "WHAT!?!?!"

I hold up my bleeding palm with a dime sized hole where skin used to be and say, "What? It's not a gun shot."

The terror did not quite leak from his face when he asks, "WHAT HAPPENED?"

Well, I was showing a Kimber CDP II to a customer at the store and had my palm over the top of the gun as I was going to ease the slide down when I hit the slide release, but for the oil on my hands from a recent cleaning the slide skipped right through my fingers, trapping my palm between itself and the top of the barrel.

It took out enough skin to actually keep the slide from falling the rest of the way. I never knew skin could be an improvised slide-stop and it's kind of weird racking a slide to clear a "skin" jam. Thankfully the customer (and nobody else for that matter) didn't see this.

I managed to hide my wound for a time until blood started running down my hand and I had to excuse myself.

My manager saw the blood and helped loosely patch me up until I could get home. I told him I slipped (which is technically true).

The fear finally leaves my poor husband's face and he sighs a lengthy breath of relief before he says, "We need to work on how you start telling me stories."

SOOOO, now I have a nice little wound on my palm from a gun. I knew it would happen one day; a gun would bite the hand that fed it.
    Last edited by limatunes; May 23rd, 2007 at 10:42 AM.

2. Remove Ads

If you handle guns long enough, you'll get bit...just the nature of the beast. I have a Taurus PT911 that bit me also, but during re-assembly after cleaning. I keep several more shop towels around now to keep the oil and cleaning fluids off my hands. Hope it heals quickly...that area tends to heal a little slower in most cases. Sounds like you ALMOST had to give John CPR...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

OUCH! VERY glad to hear it wasn't worse! Especially after some of your tales of some people's range practices.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

OK Lima, but I'm starting to wonder if this 2nd job of yours is worth it (to me). Not only do we see less of you around here, but now your being damaged. I'm also concerned that your heavy schedule is going to interfere with you and JD making those clones. Can't let that happen. I promised my boy (10) I'd buy him a 2nd generation model. You know, after you guys work the bugs out.
    (i haven't forgotten that you want boys, but can I change your mind by putting down a deposit?)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Lead Moderator
    I can see why John would be worried. Don't be scaring him like that! If you get a chance, check out a M1 Garand. M1 thumb hurts too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Been there, it's not anywhere I want to revisit....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    (i haven't forgotten that you want boys, but can I change your mind by putting down a deposit?)
    Only if you promise to adopt her for the teen years when she's crying her eyes out about boys, sneaking out of the house (or at least trying to), trying to convince us to let her wear far too suggestive clothing, dying her hair pink, piercing her tongue (or any other weird body part) and screaming that no one understands her.

Okay, I never did the dying my hair and piercing weird body parts, but I gave my poor parents enough trouble to where I've decided a girl like me would be a good thing only BEFORE her twelfth birthday and AFTER she hit twenty, in between are eight years of torture.

You get those years!

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    My first gun wound was a quarter-sized 3rd degree burn to my temple when a brass got stuck between my safety glasses and my skin.

That one was hard to hide...
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    My first gun wound was a quarter-sized 3rd degree burn to my temple when a brass got stuck between my safety glasses and my skin.

That one was hard to hide...
    My hubby had the exact same thing.. still has the scar too.

I have had a few rounds of brass find their way into my cleavage, but nothing that left a permanent mark.

Okay, wait, I take that back. A couple of weeks ago I rented a Colt Defender. The brass ejected straight back and hit me on the chin, the cheek, the glasses (and chipped them) and finally RIGHT between the eyes.

The first ones weren't bad, after all, name me one shooter who hasn't withstood showers of hot brass before, but the one that hit me in between the eyes left a mark that I have to this day. It hurt SOOO bad I unloaded and cleared the gun before putting it down, cupping my head in my hands and groaning on my way to the floor. If I recall correctly I was also dizzy but I don't know if that was from the pain or actually just getting hit between the eyes. DANG that hurt!

Needless to say the Defender went back int he rental case after that!

I have a scar from a shell burn on my arm.

Another one that will teach me not to shoot at a steel target close up again, splatter sucks.

And have had several nicks to my hands from various firearm things, although my truck is better at giving those out than my firearms are.

Hope your hand heals up quick. Ya didn't happen to let any of that oil in the cut, did you? Some of the brands have a little burn if ya do.

Getting hit by shell casings can suck too. My mini-14 launches them about 15-20 yards, but I've caught a couple with m chest on accident before when someone else was shooting it, that sucks.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Ya didn't happen to let any of that oil in the cut, did you? Some of the brands have a little burn if ya do.
    Nope, no oil in the cut, it was mostly just on my fingers, but cleaning the cut sure stung. (I say cut, it's more of a lack of skin)

When my manager was helping me clean up he took out an alcohol swab, said, "Give me your hand and close your eyes."

I got to give it to him.. he knows how to SCRUB a wound. He got right in there, scrubbing away all of the blood that had already dried and getting right down in that cut.. I didn't close my eyes but I sure was gripping that counter top with the other hand.

Then the peroxide was about six times worse because it gets in there and BUBBLES.. Agony!

JD
    Administrator

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    I have a scar from a shell burn on my arm.
    Ditto, I had a brass cassing bounce off a lane divider and land right between the arm of my shooting glasses and my temple, luckily i was able to take the burn long enough to safe my pistol, lay it on the table muzzle pointing down range, and then begin to scream bloody murder and rip my glasses of.

I think Lima has pictures of that .40 case sized scar on my temple.

And yes dear, you definately need to work on how you start these things, unless your trying to collect on the life insurance to finance more 1911s instead of taking deposits for daughters.

Mine, slide bite sig p230.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Ditto, I had a brass cassing bounce off a lane divider and land right between the arm of my shooting glasses and my temple, luckily i was able to take the burn long enough to safe my pistol, lay it on the table muzzle pointing down range, and then begin to scream bloody murder and rip my glasses of.

I think Lima has pictures of that .40 case sized scar on my temple.

And yes dear, you definately need to work on how you start these things, unless your trying to collect on the life insurance to finance more 1911s instead of taking deposits for daughters.
    Yeah, mine was from a rifle casing while I was spotting for someone while zeroing a scope. I probably should have been on their left instead of right.

Those burns on the temple are pretty common. I have several friends who got them during their first handgun shooting sessions back when they were in the 8-12 range. Actually all 4 of them have pretty much the exact same story, and all of them had glasses that were too big, and that is partially what caused the problem. Its a good argument for quality shooting glasses that fit though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

JD
    Administrator

Talking Also.....

I don't know if this counts or not, I got a viscious paper cut handing over all those $20s for the Ultra CDP yesterday, I did get some Hoppes Elite in it and man does it burn...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links