Tactical Hybrid Vehicle

Tactical Hybrid Vehicle

This is a discussion on Tactical Hybrid Vehicle within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's only a prototype but I already want one, a Diesel-Electric Hybrid that is designed for warfare. The new, second-generation prototype will still utilize the ...

Tactical Hybrid Vehicle

It's only a prototype but I already want one, a Diesel-Electric Hybrid that is designed for warfare.

The new, second-generation prototype will still utilize the same basic chassis and exterior design for light-duty capacity. But the Army’s auto research arm—part of the Tank Automotive Research, Development and Engineering Center (TARDEC)—has developed a battery-dominant, hybrid-electric drivetrain with a diesel engine-generator. That could make the new Aggressor the first hybrid to hit the streets of Baghdad en masse.

LINK to more info.

With that low of a ground clearance (I know pictures are/can be deceptive), it would be an urban assault vehicle. Pavement and established roads would be about the only thing that vehicle could traverse effectively.

It looks like it has a poor approach angle, a deplorable breakover angle, and no idea what kind of departure angle since I can't see the rear end. Milspec HUMMV's, although heavier, would be better used for this vehicles intent (scouting/recon). Heck, bring the jeep back. That was a much better platform than what is in use today. (Edit:I did find a rear view pic, and as I thought, departure angle is shoddy at best.)

There is a very limited occupancy (2 persons), and I can't see anyplace to store gear.

In short, it might be a fun toy, but I see no practical purpose in it at all.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    With that low of a ground clearance (I know pictures are/can be deceptive), it would be an urban assault vehicle. Pavement and established roads would be about the only thing that vehicle could traverse effectively.

It looks like it has a poor approach angle, a deplorable breakover angle, and no idea what kind of departure angle since I can't see the rear end. Milspec HUMMV's, although heavier, would be better used for this vehicles intent (scouting/recon). Heck, bring the jeep back. That was a much better platform than what is in use today. (Edit:I did find a rear view pic, and as I thought, departure angle is shoddy at best.)

There is a very limited occupancy (2 persons), and I can't see anyplace to store gear.

In short, it might be a fun toy, but I see no practical purpose in it at all.

You are 100% right. Plus there are no weapon mounting point.

Hell, Ford has already come up with something better and the Irish Army uses them a lot (among other countries):

Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

I didn't even notice the lack of a weapons mount.

I am certain that if this vehicle progresses any further, that many of the points here will be addressed. I realize that it is in prototype stages right now, and these may not have been a factor in the original concept.

The way it sits, though, it would be a hoot to blast over some dunes or cruise down the beach in, but some of the off roading that I would do, that thing wouldn't make it off the trailhead. At the very least it would need a winch.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

In Canada, DNDCA uses the Chevy "Milverado", a modified Silverado...

And the G-Wagen

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    you guys are teasing me with this stuff aint ya ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

You have to admit...if they can control the switch from fuel to electric manually...it'd make one heck of a stealthy vehicle. Minus - the ground clearance issues.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    They had designed a hybrid HMMWV some years ago, nothing ever happened with that.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Oh I don't want one for use in the sandbox, I want one for leisure. All the negatives pointed out above are valid for .gov use but moot for my intentions.

We've been looking for a decent hybrid engined convertible for summer driving. We had a Prius but it had too much roof, and all the convertibles we look at are yuppie cars, we did see a nice '78 Cadillac for sale but now I've noticed this little monster I am set on it.

I just want to drive around in a 'videogame' vehicle, can't a guy have his irrational desires...?

Links