5 Favorite Aircraft? - Page 5

5 Favorite Aircraft?

This is a discussion on 5 Favorite Aircraft? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Looks like the A-10 wins the most popular vote. It's too bad they're getting rid of it. Personally, I don't think there's ever going to ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 5 Favorite Aircraft?

Looks like the A-10 wins the most popular vote. It's too bad they're getting rid of it. Personally, I don't think there's ever going to be a replacement that's worthy, but we'll see..........The last pilot has been born already. The future will belong to UAV's.

Quote Originally Posted by age_ranger View Post
    ..........The last pilot has been born already. The future will belong to UAV's.
    UAVs are quickly advancing for the simple reason that you don't lose a trained man if it is shot down. Plus, they can be designed to pull much higher G forces without a man inside.

Don't lose hope though. The intercontinental bomber was declared "dead" in the late 1950's when ICBMs were in service. Hasn't happened yet.
    BillCA in CA (Unfortunately)
    Webmaster - Taking on Gun Control
    http://dragon.hematite.com
    A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    UAV's have their place. However I refuse to say that they should or will completely replace a pilot in the cockpit. Too much is lost when you take the man out of the machine. I mean.. hell... What happens when you run across an enemy with some Sierra-Hotel electronic warfare capabilities?! What kinda creek are you up when all of a sudden you lose contact and/or control with all of your airpower?

Of course then again... I think an aircraft with a titanium bathtub, triple-redundant flight control systems (non-Fly By Wire), and a design based around a gun that shoots 3000 rounds a minute is just.... KING!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

When I was stationed at Davis-Monthan (Tucson) the two primary planes flying out of there were the A-10 and the U-2. Now there's a combination!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

i live just outside eglin afb, and i get to see all kinds of aircraft flying around. i get to hear bombs going off, and i've heard the avenger cannon firing. it sounds kinda like a chainsaw on steroids. i really want to see one of the ac-130's make a firing run at night.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    You almost need to split this up into type of aircraft, as there are so many neat planes.

I will take the big Russian Helo's over the American ones anytime. We use them up here for heli-logging and I hope to get to watch a MI-26 lifting mine road bridges into place this summer, the aircraft is also used for flying drill rigs in place.

Another neat but lesser known aircraft was the Dragoon Rapide and one of the most beautiful US aircraft was the Beechcraft Staggerwing.

VIP Member

What are you, some stiff wing puke?

A little rotorhead humor there. After 21 years flying the UH-1N Huey, I am a little prejudice.

The UH-1N is my favorite.
    Attached Images
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

VIP Member
    My father was an aircraft mechanic in WWII so I grew up with lots of tales about many of the airplanes of that era.

B-17 (I recently got an hour ride and 10 minutes at the controls!)
    B-24 (Rode on one for about a 30 minute flight)
    P-51 Mustang
    P-38 Lightning
    A-10
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    My father was an aircraft mechanic in WWII so I grew up with lots of tales about many of the airplanes of that era.
    Wow that's pretty cool. My Grandfather was also.
    He was in NC and VA at the time working on aircraft. He never got to go overseas and to it though.
    Halfway through the war, he became a "First Mate" as a Merchant Marine on Liberty Ships.
    He said those were some damn scary times being out there and getting shot at by U Boats!
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

FW 190 -D
    FW 190-A8

May be some Aces High folks here ?
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

A10
    AC-130
    B52 (peace through superior firepower)
    SR-71
    F/A-18E/F Superhornet
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."--Sigmund Freud

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    UAV's have their place. However I refuse to say that they should or will completely replace a pilot in the cockpit. Too much is lost when you take the man out of the machine. I mean.. hell... What happens when you run across an enemy with some Sierra-Hotel electronic warfare capabilities?! What kinda creek are you up when all of a sudden you lose contact and/or control with all of your airpower?
    I was TDY to Indian Springs NV watching one buzz around (sounds like a lawnmower on steroids) when they declared an in-flight emergency for it. What struck me as funny was that they sent the ambulance for a drone.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links