Memorial Day Weekend

This is a discussion on Memorial Day Weekend within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is premature but - I'd like to wish all a peaceful and restful weekend, with particular attention to memorial day itself. I shall be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day Weekend

Assistant Administrator

Memorial Day Weekend

This is premature but - I'd like to wish all a peaceful and restful weekend, with particular attention to memorial day itself. I shall be indulging in some flying and also hopefully some riding but will also be only too aware of what this day means.

Let us remember what that is really about - as I am pretty sure all here will - but also spread the message to those outside of our community. It is more than ''just a long weekend''.

Stay safe.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

+1. Thank you to all Veterans!

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Thanks to all the vets. God bless you all.

Assistant Administrator
    I am going to indulge and post yet again ''Reflections'' ..........

It sums up so so much.

Chris - P95

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    A weekend to remember all of the lives that have been selflessly given so we can sleep in peace at night. To be thankful that we live in the greatest country in the world! God bless and keep our troops.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

This is to all of our current fighting boys/girls and ALL vets.

Yet, I realize, this is too inadequate a way of expressing my personal gratitude.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

As a Veteran I would like to say thank you to all my fellow veterans for their service. And, i would also like to remind everyone to remember what this holiday means.

Thanks for posting "Reflections" Chris, I have always loved that piture. I have a large lithograph hanging on my Military wall right next to my shadowbox.

I am going to post a picture of my shadowbox and I would like to ask all the other vets to do the same if they have photos of theirs. I am proud of my service and I know you all are proud of yours too. Let's share some "fruit salad".....the vets will know what I mean by that.

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Assistant Administrator
    Good to see that Mike - it is very special.
    Chris - P95

Wish I had a showdow box to share with you guys....but I am a proud vet and from one vet to another, thank you all for your service and to those who sacrificed.

This isn't a shadow box, but its one of my many proud moments....
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Assistant Administrator
    HnKuspDude - nice!!! That could well be my step son a bit into the future.

Ain't team work great
    Chris - P95

Ah I can't find any pictures....But if you look at HnkuspDudes' picture....the guy in the yellow, left side, closeset to the camera. Thats what I did. Yellowshirt...ABH3. U.S.S. Carl Vinson.
    God Bless America!!

VIP Member
    Arlington
    Trace Adkins

I never thought that this is where I'd settle down.
    I thought I'd die an old man back in my hometown.
    They gave me this plot of land,
    Me and some other men, for a job well done.

There's a big White House sits on a hill just up the road.
    The man inside, he cried the day they brought me home.
    They folded up a flag and told my Mom and Dad:
    "We're proud of your son."

And I'm proud to be on this peaceful piece of property.
    I'm on sacred ground and I'm in the best of company.
    I'm thankful for those thankful for the things I've done.
    I can rest in peace;
    I'm one of the chosen ones:
    I made it to Arlington.

I remember Daddy brought me here when I was eight.
    We searched all day to find out where my grand-dad lay.
    And when we finally found that cross,
    He said: "Son, this is what it cost to keep us free."

Now here I am, a thousand stones away from him.
    He recognized me on the first day I came in.
    And it gave me a chill when he clicked his heels,
    And saluted me.

I'm thankful for those thankful for the things I've done.
    I can rest in peace;
    I'm one of the chosen ones:
    I made it to Arlington.

And everytime I hear twenty-one guns,
    I know they brought another hero home to us.

We're thankful for those thankful for the things we've done.
    We can rest in peace;
    'Cause we are the chosen ones:
    We made it to Arlington.

Yeah, dust to dust, don't cry for us:
    We made it to Arlington.

You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Thanks to all who have expressed appreciation for us ol' vets. I feel it was a great privilege to do my small part for my country. I have a great admiration for all who take on the challenge today. No shadow box, but I did run across an old pic, I think from a cave painting, somewhere out of the dim, dark reaches of history. There's been a lot of beer under the bridge since then.

C-130 rollin' down the strip
    Airborne Ranger gonna take a little trip
    Stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door
    Jump right out an' count to four

If that 'chute don't open wide
    I got another one by my side
    If that 'chute don't open well
    I got a one way ticket to ___

If I die on the ol' drop zone
    Box me up and ship me home
    Pin my jump wings on my chest
    Tell my girl I did my best

All the way . . . every day . . . Airborne . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Thanks to all those that are and have served. And thanks to those that kept and are keeping the home fires burning.

We owe you all more than we can ever repay.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Moderator
    Miggy,
    Whenever that song plays on the radio I can't help but cry. I've been to Arlington twice. I have no family or friends buried there but I respect them and love them for their service and I have felt a great loss while standing amongst them.

I also love that picture, "Reflections." It speaks volumes.

I wrote these two pieces well over a year ago but I'll share them here as my little way to show how I feel this, and every, memorial day.

Cuddling and Killing

My cousin once asked me how I could marry a man I knew had killed another human being.
    She had not said this as someone who was innocently curious, but with malice.

“How can you lay down next to him every night and not feel sick? How do you look at him and not want to throw up?” she lifted her nose as she brought her wine glass to her mouth, looking smug and condescending. “He’s a murderer.” She said.
    I did not answer the question because I knew that any argument made on my part would produce just that: an argument. Instead, I excused myself from the table and spent the rest of my evening away from her.

I said nothing, not because I believed she was right, or because I was afraid of her. I said nothing because I knew she wrong. I said nothing, not because I’m weak or don’t care about my husband’s reputation, but because she was looking for a fight in me. Perhaps she thought bringing out violence in me, either in word or deed, would prove her point: that those who respect and honor the military are prone to violent behavior and irrationality. I hope I disappointed her.

When my husband came home from Iraq I never had to ask him if he killed anyone; I knew he had. He didn’t like talking about it, and liked it even less when others bragged about their kills or kept record. “I don’t know how many I’ve killed, and I never want to.” He had said. “They’re people, not plaques.”

Sometimes we’d rather cuddle than kill, but sometimes, someone has to step up and be willing to do the killing. My husband is one of those men. He doesn’t enjoy it, he’s never anxious to do it. He never wished he could, but he has.

At night, when I lay next to him, and when he wraps his arms around me, I feel the warmth and affection of a loving husband. I feel his lips against my neck and hear his tender words in my ear. I see his care for me in every bouquet of roses he brings home and in every glance and smile he casts my way. I know him to be a good man.

I also know him as a man who will do what needs to be done. I know he will fear no man, and he will not allow other’s to live under such a fear. I know that he will not hesitate to act in defense of himself, his family, or his country. He will stand sure, confident and proud in all he does, neglecting neither work, nor duty. He will do whatever it takes to be the best that he can be, whether at home, at work, or at war.

I asked him if the killing bothered him.

“No,” he said. He looked down at his hands and thought for a moment. “I did what I had to do, what I was told to do. I did what was necessary to stay alive and ensure that the man beside me stayed alive.”

He paused for another moment then looked up at me. “If I didn’t kill them, they would have killed me. I did what I had to do. There’s no shame in that.”

I’ve stood on the white stone bridge that extends the Arizona’s watery grave. I’ve looked down and seen it’s black, oily tears burst upon the surface of the waves. It sent its tears up to me. I sent my tears down to it. I’ve stood before the Vietnam Wall. I’ve reached out and touched names that had no meaning for me except that they died in service to my country. I’ve walked between the rows of Arlington and wept at the tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I’ve watched an old woman I did not know; stooped before a grave, weeping for a hero I would never know.

If these be murderers, let me gladly pick up a gun. If they be killers, count me among their followers.

Should my husbands name ever be added to the thousands who have valiantly died for this country, I will know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he died in honor, doing what was expected of him as a man; as a Marine.

If it’s wrong to wish victory day after day
    For the troops of our country now marching away;
    If it’s wrong to believe they are moved by the right
    And not by the love and the lure of the fight;
    If to cheer them to battle and bid them be strong
    Is false to right thinking, then let us be wrong.

For the Love of a Marine

For the love of a Marine I waited. I waited through school and through field ops, through CAX and through floats. I waited through deployments and through trainings. I waited for news and for hope. I waited for time and for touch. I waited through stress and through PTSD, through anger and through pain. I waited for a phone call and for letters, for pictures and for leave. I waited for love.

For the love of a Marine I prayed. I prayed for his safety, for his health and for his mind. I prayed for my family and for the strength to carry on. I prayed for jobs well accomplished, and for trips coming home. I prayed for good news. I prayed for love.

For the love of a Marine I gave. I gave my time and my energy. I gave my dreams and my hopes. I gave my career and my education, my respect and my adoration. I gave of my money and of my life. I gave up a home close to loved ones. I gave commitment. I gave love.

For the love of a Marine I stayed. I stayed faithful even when others seemed if foolish of me to do so. I stayed home when I would rather have been with him. I stayed confident, optimistic, hopeful and proud. I stayed busy when I wanted nothing more to do then sit down and cry. I stayed happy when I wanted to be sad. I stayed sure in my love.

For the love of a Marine I learned. I learned to be flexible and optimistic. I learned acronyms and lingo. I learned ranks and bases, pay scales and cutting scores. I learned uniforms, alphabets, time, colors and mottos. I learned patience and understanding, patriotism and pride. I learned that absence could make a heart grow fonder. I learned strength. I learned love.

For the love of a Marine I rejoiced. I rejoiced in promotions and homecomings, in letters and in calls. I rejoiced in mere moments spent together and even time apart. I rejoiced in pictures and memories, a touch or a kiss. I rejoiced in a voice, in handwriting, in every little thing. I rejoiced in our love.

For the love of a Marine I missed. I missed birthdays and anniversaries, precious moments and time. I missed kisses, laughs, looks and hugs. I missed holding hands and watching TV. I missed taking long walks. I missed falling asleep in my love’s arms. I missed waking each morning to his slow smile and adoring eyes. I missed phone calls and chat times. I missed family and friends. I missed love.

For the love of a Marine I did so much and were I given a second chance, I would do it all again and even more. As much as the Marine Corps has taken away from me, it has given so much back. To me, an EGA is more than just a symbol, more than just a seal of the U.S. Marine Corps. It’s a representation of all those things I have waited and prayed for, the things I gave of and stayed busy for. It represents all that I learned, all that I rejoiced in and missed. It represents my Marine. And for the love of my Marine, I will carry on.

Semper Fi to my Marine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links