No one to blame but himself

This is a discussion on No one to blame but himself within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Every once in a while, we read about something like this. Burglar gets trapped while attempting illegal entry, dies there, gets discovered in his ignominious ...

Thread: No one to blame but himself

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

No one to blame but himself

Every once in a while, we read about something like this. Burglar gets trapped while attempting illegal entry, dies there, gets discovered in his ignominious state some time later.

Burglar found dead at school

I just think it's funny. It's a bit morbid, too -- spend a moment thinking about what a guy's last hours, days, weeks or whatever are like when he's trapped, panicked, and knows he's likely to die where he is, s-l-o-w-l-y.

But then, I am not one to have the slightest sympathy or compassion for criminals, and I pretty much rejoice when they meet their end. Whether or not you feel the same, this is an interesting story.

PHOENIX, Arizona (AP) -- The body of a man who apparently tried to break into an elementary school was discovered Friday in an air conditioning duct on the school's roof, police said.

The body at Sierra Vista Elementary School was found as a plumber investigated a foul odor noticed by cafeteria staff earlier in the day, said Roosevelt School District Superintendent Mark Dowling.

Authorities think the man tried to climb through the duct, got stuck and died. It wasn't known how long the body was there.

"Obviously because of the smell, there are indications that he had been there for some time," said Sgt. Andy Hill, a Phoenix police spokesman.

The man's name wasn't released.

School officials said that the children were scheduled to be dismissed early Friday and that some parents were already on their way when the school began notifying them about the body through an automated phone system with a recorded message. The school has about 550 students in preschool through eighth grade.

David Torres, who went to the school at midday to pick up his two sons, said he was surprised to see police and TV helicopters when he arrived.

"I was thinking something real bad had happened," said Torres, who was leaving with his boys. "I got nervous, and I started to look for my kids."

District spokeswoman Lori Rieger said that the school was locked down after the discovery and that some students left early with relatives, but that contrary to early reports, there was never an evacuation.

The cafeteria was not used Friday, Rieger said. Students who weren't picked up early ate lunch in the library, she said.

A psychologist will be at the school when it reopens Tuesday, Dowling said.
    Check out that last line. Oh boo hoo, I'm so traumatized about the dead loser burglar, come and counsel me. Are we really raising such a nation of ninnies?!

Some scumbag died in the commission of a crime! He was going to steal anything valuable he could from your school. And he died before he could, because of his own stupidity! What do you need to feel upset about? This is a happy ending! Send the counselors home, and have some cake or something!

2. Remove Ads

They don't need the counselor's because of the dead guy.. they need them because they had to go to the library! I know when i was in elementary school, going to the library was traumatic...normally, because it meant I had a paper due in like 15 minutes that I hadn't started yet..

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I saw the report on TV he should have been dressed in a Santa suit. He got what eh deserved.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Check out that last line. Oh boo hoo, I'm so traumatized about the dead loser burglar, come and counsel me. Are we really raising such a nation of ninnies?!
    I definitely shed some tears while reading this story. My side still hurts, too!!

"Are we really raising such a nation of ninnies?!" It sure looks like we are trying!

I remember when as a kid in school, one of my friends died of leukemia. It was tough but we talked to each other and we talked to our parents and we knew deep down that: that's life. Bad things can happen to good people.

We sucked it up and got back to the business of living.

It seems politically correct these days to turn into a quivering blob of jello at the least sign of adversity.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

The body of a man who apparently tried to break into an elementary school was discovered Friday in an air conditioning duct on the school's roof, police said.
    Well, at least he didn't die hot...

VIP Member
    If it was the intake duct, it would have sucked to have been him.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    If it was the intake duct, it would have sucked to have been him.

If it were a return duct (I assume that's what you mean by intake), they'd have found his smelly carcass a lot sooner.

A criminal that didn't take an innocent with him. Be thankful for that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    HAHAHAHAHA! I bet none of those kids will become burglers later on...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA! I bet none of those kids will become burglers later on...
    Maybe some of the 'tough' kids will be interested in A/C repair...

Stay armed...stay cool...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

And the kiddos thought the odor was from the cafeteria.

Links