My weight loss

This is a discussion on My weight loss within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well since other members have really shedded some pounds I jumped on the bandwagon as well. Since April 16th, I have lost 25 lbs. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My weight loss

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

My weight loss

Well since other members have really shedded some pounds I jumped on the bandwagon as well.

Since April 16th, I have lost 25 lbs. I still have a long way to go but I think I have the proper motivation. I have realized that I am going to have some serious health problems if I don't do something about it. My wife had been prodding away at me to go get a checkup. Me, being the typical male wanted to ignore my problems. Well, I finally submitted and got a check up. Seems that I had high blood pressure and cholestrol. My weight had ballooned to 309 lbs. The doctor was worried that Type II diabetes could be forming. Guys, I am only 30 years old. If you have been putting off getting a check up, run, don't walk to your closest Dr's office. If you are like me and always said "I'll start exercising tommorow", then tommorow needs to start today.

Long story short, things are getting under control for me. The BP is back to close to normal, the cholestrol is coming down as well. We are still watching the blood sugar closely. My Dr. feels like that will normalize to as my weight continues to drop. She was very happy with my checkup. I feel so much better than I did just a month and a half ago. I have so much more energy and I am excited about my prospects. I will continue to post about my progress.

One of my close friends, who is good deal older than me had open heart today. (You can read about it in Bob Ford's place) I was heading that way myself, maybe even at a younger age.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

way to go doc ! keep at it.
    I started swimming laps at our local olympic sized swimming pool a couple of weeks back. I know I have dropped a good 20 lbs. My knees don't hurt near as bad. I go 4 to 5 times a week and am planning to do this the rest of my life. Its low impact and good stuff...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    Doc what are you doing to reduce the cholesterol? In August '05 the doctor put me on Lipitor. I had surgery to repair my shoulder and the Lipitor made it hurt more than it did before the surgery. I quit taking it, but I still needed to lower my 300+ cholesterol.

I heard a local hospital "medical minute" on the radio that reported the AMA had found that almonds reduce cholesterol. I started having about 30 almonds at lunch every day. In August '06 my cholesterol was 157 and my triglycerides 139. Last month we rechecked to see if there was any change and both levels were still down at the same point. I like almonds and evidently almonds like me. My cardiologist is mad at me because now he does get to charge me $700 for some test. The pharmacist is mad because I am not spending $100 per month on Lipitor. My wallet likes me because $15 or so per month on almonds means $85 left for ammo and things.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I am on Lipitor. I am also eating oatmeal, Cheerios,lots of Fish, taking omega 3 suppliments, as well as exercise.

The Lipitor is cheap on my insurance as well as my Doctor visits/lab work.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I am on the band wagon as well. I went to the docs office and weighed in at a hefty 330. I am 6'3 and don't look that big, but...wow!

At this point I do not have any health issues and I am trying to keep them from forming. I have children and want to see them grow up.

I have to say, it is very hard. That peanut butter jar starts yelling at me every night about 11:00.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

WAY TO GO DOC!

Just wait until you hit that magic 100 pounds lost point. Man that is a sweet feeling. You will feel better than you can ever remember feeling in your life.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
    My body seems to have found where it wants to level off at about 155 to 160 pounds. I am still working out every night but don't seem to slip beneath 155 at any time. My waist seems to still be shrinking and my upper body muscle mass is still growing so I guess I am shedding fat at about the same rate that I am gaining muscle. That's cool with me.

Keep it up Doc. You are adding time to your life. You will see the benefits in the long run.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Congrats to you guys from a former bodybuilder who was a diet and exercise fanatic untill I wrecked my shoulders anyhow.

I don't need to live for bodybuilding anymore but I do need to get on the diet and nutrition bandwagon again, even the tail end.

46 yo, 5'8", 220
    Still strong with a layer of fat covering everything up.
    The cholesterol is high and the bp is in orbit.

I walk alot but my downfall is cooking and eating. I made a pork tenderloin stuffed with apples, raisins and cornbread topped with a creamy apple brandy sauce for dinner yesterday, this is a normal everyday type of meal for me, it's my downfall.
    If not for the walking I expect I would be well over 300 lbs.

I also need to quit smoking but definitely do not have the will power to stop smoking and diet/exercise at the same time.
    Note- I wasn't a smoker when I was into the bodybuilding but that was 10 years ago.

Tips and suggestions welcome.
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

Coromega fish oil supplement (truly tastes like the orangesickle ice cream). Enduracin (timed release niacin). Exercise at least 5x/week. However my diet and weight are not what they should be.

I'll have to try the almonds. That sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    WAY TO GO DOC!

Just wait until you hit that magic 100 pounds lost point. Man that is a sweet feeling. You will feel better than you can ever remember feeling in your life.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
    My body seems to have found where it wants to level off at about 155 to 160 pounds. I am still working out every night but don't seem to slip beneath 155 at any time. My waist seems to still be shrinking and my upper body muscle mass is still growing so I guess I am shedding fat at about the same rate that I am gaining muscle. That's cool with me.

Keep it up Doc. You are adding time to your life. You will see the benefits in the long run.
    You have been a huge inspiration to us!

Well, A few years ago I hit my all time "high" of 267. I went on the Jenny Craig diet and almost effortlessly lost 40 pounds. Then my daughter got married and I stressed most of it back on. My Triglycerides were almost 500+. My GOOD cholestrol was low and my BAD was high. Civilian Doc put me on 80mg of Lipitor. My VA Doc put me on 500mg of Niacin (with the requirement to also take an 81mg aspirin each day).

Now my Triglycerides are below 150 and my cholestrol is textbook perfect in balance. Now the civilian doc is cutting the Lipitor to 20mg a day, but I'll probably ALWAYS need some. This sort of thing just runs in my family.

I started walking the pups with my wife and went back on Jenny Craig. I've lost 12 pounds in three weeks. I'm now down to 250. But that is probably going to slow or change a bit since I'm also using my BOWFLEX and adding some muscle tone. Muscle weighs more than fat. So I hope to slim down while toning up. I'll be happy at 225 and strong.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; May 30th, 2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: format
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Way to Go, Doc! Great! Dr. and EX - both of you too! Keep it up - you'll feel better, have more energy, run faster, jump higher, shoot better, and live a longer better life. What's not to like?
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    Actually Mike you are making progress more than you think, at this stage it's not about weight loss anymore but toning.
    Muscle weighs more than fat, it is denser.
    So as you get more muscular you might even gain weight again, you certainly won't get down to a buck ten, all those super lightweight folk are undernourished and do not exercise.
    You are just healthy.

Congratulations Doc, what is your target weight?

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Congratulations Doc, what is your target weight?
    My target weight range is 165-175 lbs. When I reach that, I would like to start strength training along with my cardio. I also want to take Akkido or another H2H discipline. Not really thinking about the target weight though right now because that is so far away and I don't want to get discouraged.

I weighed in today at 281 which is down 5 from the Dr's visit the other day. Every 10 lbs is a milestone for me. So hopefully tommorow or the next day when I see 280 I shout with joy and then get back to business.

Anyway I wanted to make this public in hopes that I and you guys could help keep me accountable. I also made it public so perhaps I could motivate another member or two to take the first step towards overall fitness and health.

P.S.-I might start photographing myself like P239 does to document the weight loss. Don't worry though I won't post any of myself until I am close to the target. Then I'll do a before and after.

Doc,

Whatta ya eating or not eating to make this work for you? Any secrets to share?

I'm down about 15 lbs myself with at least another 85 to go!

God bless,

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryes View Post
    Doc,

Whatta ya eating or not eating to make this work for you? Any secrets to share?

I'm down about 15 lbs myself with at least another 85 to go!

God bless,

Larry
    Breakfast-Honey nut Cheerios or Oatmeal, fruit, OJ

Snack-90 calorie Quaker Oat Granola Bar

Lunch-Canned Tuna-variety of flavors, with crackers, fruit, I will also do a Lean Cuisine frozen meal.

Snack-bananna, apple or an orange, or another 90 cal Quaker granola bar

Dinner-Grilled/baked chicken/fish. Any meal that calls for ground beef, we subsitute ground turkey. I can't believe I am saying this but turkey burgers are actually pretty good. Veggies, salads, and if we are in a hurry a Lean Cuisine-substitute for fast food.

I don't drink any sugar sodas or sweet tea. These are nothing more than wasted calories. I drink at least 64 oz of water daily. I don't eat after 7 o'clock, which is easy because I am on a pill that reduces the insulin in the bloodstream so I am not hungry. If I do find myself hungry, I drink water. That seems to help. The first week or so is tough, your stomach growls constantly. But the stomach shrinks and I find that I eat less. The hunger becomes managable. It is psychological.

The big one for me-fast food. I have cut this down big time. No stopping at McD's for breakfast anymore. If we have to eat out, it is a grilled chicken sandwich or salad for me. I have not had a hamburger in over 2 months. I try to stick to more healthier establishments like Chik-Fil-a and Subway.

I am walking about three miles 3-5 times a week and doing lots of yardwork.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links