ISRA: Chicago Priest Calls for Murder of Gun Shop Owner

This is a discussion on ISRA: Chicago Priest Calls for Murder of Gun Shop Owner within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...e,112673.shtml SPRINGFIELD, Ill., May 29 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following was released today by the Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA): Nobody expected Saturday's Operation PUSH protest ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ISRA: Chicago Priest Calls for Murder of Gun Shop Owner

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

ISRA: Chicago Priest Calls for Murder of Gun Shop Owner

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...e,112673.shtml

SPRINGFIELD, Ill., May 29 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following was released today by the Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA):

Nobody expected Saturday's Operation PUSH protest at Chuck's Gun Shop & Range to be anything other than a circus of the bizarre. However, nobody anticipated that an address by a Chicago priest would include a call for the murder of a suburban gun shop owner and legislators who oppose gun control.

During an address at an anti-gun rally in front of Chuck's, Rev. Michael Pfleger, pastor of St. Sabina's Church, exhorted the crowd to "drag" shop owner, John Riggio, from his shop "like a rat" and "snuff" him. Rev. Pfleger went on to tell the crowd that legislators that vote against gun control legislation should be "snuffed" as well. As many know, "snuff" is slang for especially violent murder.

The ISRA has a recording of Pfleger's remarks in MP3 format.

"Certainly Fr. Pfleger has offered Absolution to a murderer or two during his tenure as a priest," commented ISRA Executive Director, Richard Pearson. "That's why it's shocking to hear him actually advocate the murder of a gun shop owner who has never committed a crime in his life. He then compounds the problem by calling for the murder of legislators who disagree with his personal political views -- something I suspect is a felony in this state. Pfleger's comments were disgusting and dangerous. And, I seem to remember that the Fifth Commandment frowns on murdering one's neighbor."

"This week, I'll be penning a letter to the Archbishop, expressing my concerns over Rev. Pfleger's comments," continued Pearson. "I would hope that the Archbishop would reply with words of comfort for Mr. Riggio, his family, state legislators, and all others who were injured by Rev. Pfleger's thoughtless, inflammatory remarks."

The ISRA is the state's leading advocate of safe, lawful, and responsible firearms ownership. Since 1903, the ISRA has represented the interests of over 1.5 million law-abiding firearm Illinois firearm owners.

Illinois State Rifle Association

CONTACT: Richard Pearson of Illinois State Rifle Association, +1-815-635-3198 Web site: http://www.isra.org/
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    That is horrible!

What kind of person, especially a priest, would make those kinds of comments?!?

Senior Moderator
    I am very shocked. I can not think of a priest saying that. I hope that he gets called to the carpet by his Bishop.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Senior Moderator
    Did you hear the audio? The guy sounds crazed. I've not heard the NRA talking about anti-gun people that way.

Utterly nuts. Of course, he made a threat ("snuffing") on the lives of various pro-gun/2A legislators... maybe the USSS and State Dept. should have a little chat with him too.

Oops. I mentioned this on another thread about the protest.

Will Cardinal George do anything? Not on your life. Unfortunately, in the last forty years, people like Pfleger (sp) have thrived in the Church while faithful traditional Catholics are persecuted and even excommunicated (Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, for example). The Church is neck deep in people like Pfleger.

If the priest had been at an abortion clinic, however, and called for an abortionist to be dragged out and "snuffed", the Cardinal himself would have probably had him arrested while numerous press releases would have assured people that his views were not that of the diocesan hierarchy.

I'd also wager that, if the killers are caught and could possibly face the death penalty, Fr. Pfleger will be on his knees in front of the state capital begging for their amnesty.

Senior Moderator
    I've just listened to the audio. It is even worse than I imagined. I am appalled because I am Catholic, but my Church and my religion is accepting and loving.

I do not think that his actions would be tolerated in my archdiocese, not just because it is in the south, but because the days of the Inquisition have pasted long ago. Threatening to harm an other human being, to "hunt him down like a rat" is not what my religion teaches, cordones or is about. I would never instruct my catechists is the behavior illustrated by Fr. Pfleger. If the kids in my Sunday school class acted like Fr. Pfleger, I'd have to consul them on Christ's teachings.

I hope he realizes his mistakes and feels remorse for his actions. It is okay to disagree about gun control and ownership, but never advocate hunting down and snuffing out another life.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

VIP Member
    Unfortunately it has happened before. Some priests fell for the Theology of Liberation crap and they forgot their vows to God alongisde His Comandments. Some actually have taken arms (Cuba nd Colombia) and killed people in ambushes.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    That is horrible!

What kind of person, especially a priest, would make those kinds of comments?!?
    One that should be thrown out of the church! What a doofus.

Senior Moderator
    I just LOVE the hypocrisy..

We hate guns for killing innocent people so we are going to "hunt you down like a rat" and snuff you out.

Hmmmmm... something about that just DOESN'T make sense.

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I am very shocked. I can not think of a priest saying that. I hope that he gets called to the carpet by his Bishop.
    If they don't get punished for 'special' treatment of young altar boys, you really think something will be done about making strong comments?

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If they don't get punished for 'special' treatment of young altar boys, you really think something will be done about making strong comments?

OMO

ret
    Where is the Inquisition when you need it?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I had to read that over a few times to be sure that this priest was on the level. Any priest who would condone killing a human being due his or her views on gun control should be thrown out of the church. This priest is a danger to any one who disagrees with him. I put this on the level of a mob boss sending his enforcer out to kill one of his rivals. I will be very disappointed in the church and the law enforcement community if they do not do something about this ticking time bomb. My guess is that this will be swept under the carpet or the priest will be transfered.
    Last edited by Tom G; May 30th, 2007 at 12:49 PM.

A loud-mouthed thug in a funny collar is not a priest, just a loud-mouthed thug. He is also a big embarrassment to his Church and his God.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Unforgivable
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links