Intruder shot - turns out to be teenage daughter.

This is a discussion on Intruder shot - turns out to be teenage daughter. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Lesson here as far as I can see is as follows: Never, ever break into your own house, or creep back in after hours if ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intruder shot - turns out to be teenage daughter.

Intruder shot - turns out to be teenage daughter.

Lesson here as far as I can see is as follows:
    Never, ever break into your own house, or creep back in after hours if you know that the house is protected with firearms.

I just told this story to my wife and she told me her parents made her promise that no matter how late she came home as a teen she should never try to sneak in. She might get in trouble for coming home after midnight, but nothing compared to the trouble of sneaking in unannounced.

STRATFORD, Conn. -- An off-duty New Haven police officer shot and wounded his 18-year-old daughter, apparently mistaking her for an intruder after she sneaked out of their Stratford home and re-entered through the basement.
    Eric Scott, 41, on the New Haven force for nine years, has not been charged.
    "Mr. Scott was under the impression his daughter had gone to bed for the night," town police Capt. Thomas Rodia said in a statement. "He did not expect his daughter to be outside or down in the basement."
    Stratford police said Tasha Scott left her home some time late Monday to meet a boyfriend. She activated a backyard motion sensor light as she tried to enter through a basement door.
    Awakened by the light, Eric Scott took his department-issued pistol, found a rear door open that he had locked earlier, then spotted someone a person moving in the basement bathroom, police said. He fired once, shooting the teen in the knee. The bullet traveled up her leg and lodged in her thigh area, police said.
    Her father called 911 when he realized who he had shot, police said.
    Tasha Scott was taken to Bridgeport Hospital where she underwent surgery, and was listed in critical but stable condition Wednesday morning, the hospital said.
    Stratford police said results of their investigation into the shooting will be turned over to Bridgeport State's Attorney Jonathan Benedict for review.
    Eric Scott has been on leave from his job since being struck by a truck while on duty in November.
    New Haven police spokeswoman Bonnie Posick said that because Scott is out of work on injured status, there was no need to take any administrative action after the shooting.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    How absolutely horrible. The poor guy. I don't blame him, he did what he thought was necessary but I'm sure he's absolutely tormented.

I'm glad she's still alive.

Our kids will be WELL instructed on the risks of trying to sneak in and out of the house.

Lead Moderator
    Something to consider , for sure. Also a good reminder for positive target ID . A good flashlight may have helped.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Something to consider , for sure. Also a good reminder for positive target ID . A good flashlight may have helped.
    Now where have I heard those words before?

VIP Member
    Thats some tough stuff. I can't imagine. Guess they never had "that talk", or she thought she could sneak by.
    My daughter calls me before she comes home if she's coming home early. She knows how daddy is.. I've also told her "When you come home visiting from college, don't give me a surprise visit".
    When she walks in the door at anytime, she yells out 'Hey". Its like shes making extra sure I know its her.

Assistant Administrator
    In the climate of potential home invasion these days - the ''sneaking back in'' is indeed frought with dangers - per this case.

Sad happening but it's to be hoped there will be an all but complete recovery. The Dad will be scarred too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    We are told over and over to identify the target. As said earlier a flashlight would have helped. Sure there's not supposed to be anyone in that area, but you have to make sure who it is.

Now there are two very messed up people. I suspect that they both have learned a lesson, but at a terrible cost.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Dad will feel horrible, but the daughter will heal. I'm glad she's ok.

I can't imagine killing your own child in a situation like this. Midas well put me in a box too.

I wander if the knee shot was intentional?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    I wander if the knee shot was intentional?
    If he couldn't see well enough to ID her, could he see well enough to intentionally shoot at a knee? I guess it's possible.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Man I hate when that happens...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    She could still lose her leg. I can't remember the book, but I read this exact scenario in a novel several years ago. This is one of those situations I can't see a solution to--thankfully they're rare enough to be almost unheard of.

It's a Catch-22. If you expose yourself/identify your position intending to identify the target/intruder, you leave yourself wide-open to lead poisoning. If you don't take that step, then you clearly take the chance of shooting a friendly. A flashlight cuts both ways.

A very bad scene indeed. You should always identify your intended bullet catcher, either by verbal challenge or by direct visual ID.

I know you almost certainly put yourself at a tactical disadvantage by having to do that, but as lawful citizens we are required to know who we are shooting.

This is an example of the most tragic circumstances as it was his own daughter he shot.

I can only hope their family dynamics don't totally crumble over this. A daughter who sneaks out to meet boyfriend already has problems with right and wrong and is "bucking" her parents authority.

I can really foresee some great emotional turmoil ahead for this family.

Just ID your target folks... These kinds of tragedies can be avoided.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    If he couldn't see well enough to ID her, could he see well enough to intentionally shoot at a knee? I guess it's possible.

I was thinking the same thing. If I find a BG in my home I would got for center mass. Sounds like the intentionally shot low. That is unless she was in some type of weird position. Like sneaking through a window.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Don't forget the adrenalin factor... Not all shots aimed to Center Mass, end up in center mass!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I can't even imagine the way the father must feel. To go from the terror of having to defend your home and family in one instant to the horror of having just shot your own child is unimaginable.

I feel for them all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links