Any Photographers out there????

This is a discussion on Any Photographers out there???? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Zero, I have some crazy Bridezilla stories. Many women turn into Freddy Kruger on their wedding day! It's quite scary. I do agree with what ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Photographers out there????

Zero,

I have some crazy Bridezilla stories. Many women turn into Freddy Kruger on their wedding day! It's quite scary.

I do agree with what you said about digital video. It's truly amazing stuff that anyone can get in to now. I love making cool little videos of my kids. I actually made one of my son where I turned him into a Transformer with cardboard boxes and junk in my garage. Funny stuff.

AS for the avatar... I did make it with Photoshop. I've been kinda toying with the idea of a website overhaul with my blog and made this one night for fun. I really like the old school burnt red paper look.
    JJ Honeycutt- GodGunsGlory.com

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic. - Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    People don't realize that. I shoot raw mostly for white balance correction after the fact. My dad, who has a LOT of darkroom experience can look at a photo and adjust the cyan, magenta and yellow to correct it. It baffles me.
    He is trained. After awhile it comes naturally...second nature. I was fortunate to attend a good art school for undergrad. They constantly hammered the fundementals. The basics of color, design etc is now instinct...allows one to EXPAND.

Your dad would understand what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by GodGunsGlory View Post
    AS for the avatar... I did make it with Photoshop. I've been kinda toying with the idea of a website overhaul with my blog and made this one night for fun. I really like the old school burnt red paper look.

Yeah it looks antiqued. Nice color and contrast.

SO...since we are talking about photo stuff...what do you all think about the issue of cropping? I see alot of nice images of firearms in here (and elsewhere). Many would be much better if they cropped in MORE....reduce that negitive space and focus on the subject.

I'm being too critical huh?

Assistant Administrator
    I agree re cropping - selctive cropping can greatly improve the subject matter - however not all folks have the right software and so present the pic as taken.

I also am thinking sometimes that backgrounds can be too ''fussy'' and so that is another factor that can help or hinder.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Too Critical? No way. I have been spoiled with having Photoshop CS3 to do amazing stuff with my photos. Cropping is a great way to take advantage of the large pixel size of digital photographs.

Have you heard of HDR processing? That's what I used to do the first three photos you see on my photoblog. You set up your camera on your tripod and bracket 3 or more of the same scene at different exposure and then mush em together with PhotoMatix software (a program that uses tonemapping). What it does is makes both foreground and background clear and add huge contrast for a creepy surreal look. Pretty cool stuff.

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic. - Ted Nugent

I have been shooting, pictures that is, for about 20 years. B/W for a lot of them till I "discovered" slide film. Now with the age of digital SLR coming within my price range I will get a body some time soon.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

P95...yes I agree with you. Background can "overtake" the subject matter. Its a make or break thing. Simple is often good.

As for the crop thing, yeah I get that too. Little pointers like zoom in or use your "flower setting" macro helps ALOT.

Pics are cool and important. One doesn't need to invest alot to take good pics. Just gotta pay attention and respond open mindedly to constructive criticism. I usually keep my mouth shut about this stuff. Nice seeing interest in it here.

The firearms exhibited here are often some of the most beautiful examples of functional sculpture. It is good to show them off.

GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy View Post
    I have been shooting, pictures that is, for about 20 years. B/W for a lot of them till I "discovered" slide film. Now with the age of digital SLR coming within my price range I will get a body some time soon.
    When you can...GO FOR IT. You will be happy. Everything you learned/developed already is applied to the digital medium. Faster, can play around more instant. Good luck.

Too Critical? No way. I have been spoiled with having Photoshop CS3 to do amazing stuff with my photos. Cropping is a great way to take advantage of the large pixel size of digital photographs.

Have you heard of HDR processing? That's what I used to do the first three photos you see on my photoblog. You set up your camera on your tripod and bracket 3 or more of the same scene at different exposure and then mush em together with PhotoMatix software (a program that uses tonemapping). What it does is makes both foreground and background clear and add huge contrast for a creepy surreal look. Pretty cool stuff.
    No CS3 yet for me or work. Actually it is coming real soon...been builing a lab from the ground up. Next step (before fall) is new PC's and MAC's. The new machines will all have CS3...too cool, can't wait.

I have heard about the tone mapping...amazing stuff...you do realize how labor intensive it would be to do it without a computer...WILD MAN, WILD.

Assistant Administrator
    Here's a reminder for those who may have gone the ''hard way'' in old days ........ I used to do some ''tone sep's'' and this involved copying neg original onto litho film - and dev that in suitable dev sol' ... copy again to get new neg ... dev again. Repeat proces a few times until all greys washed out then - prit on hard paper!!

Geez - all that and yet now - find the right tool on digital stuff and - ''zoom'' ... anything ya want - in an instant. Love digital.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

This is a photo I took the other day of my Springer in which I used some tone mapping on. Kinda interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Here's a reminder for those who may have gone the ''hard way'' in old days ........ I used to do some ''tone sep's'' and this involved copying neg original onto litho film - and dev that in suitable dev sol' ... copy again to get new neg ... dev again. Repeat proces a few times until all greys washed out then - prit on hard paper!!

Geez - all that and yet now - find the right tool on digital stuff and - ''zoom'' ... anything ya want - in an instant. Love digital.
    YES...color adjustments, tone, levels etc...click click click. INSTANT...wonder why so many have super limited attention spans.

NEVER under estimate those that learned the old school (I guess hard way). The buttons make it easier/faster for those who understand.

I am sooo far from old skool it's not even funny. I am a straight up rookie.

Very Nice

This is a photo I took the other day of my Springer in which I used some tone mapping on. Kinda interesting.

Sharp image....let alone a COOL pistol. Great warm color palet and the background works...it adds and doesn't distract.

GOOD JOB...you make good images.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links