Any Helicopter buffs out there?

This is a discussion on Any Helicopter buffs out there? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I posted a thread about commin up here to Grand Forks, ND to work for a few weeks...well here is why I'm here.... Its a ...

I posted a thread about commin up here to Grand Forks, ND to work for a few weeks...well here is why I'm here....

Its a brand new Eurocopter EC-120, nothing like that new helicopter smell.

Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

I used to jump outta em. Almost got into a crash in one. Love em. It's like a roller coaster that doesn't end after 28 seconds. But I am far from a helicopter buff... Chinooks and Blackhawks are all I know.
    JJ Honeycutt- GodGunsGlory.com

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic. - Ted Nugent

US Customs and Border Protection.

Where's that one headed?

Assistant Administrator
    Love helo's

A helo flyer provided me with one bit of info I had puzzled over .. particularly re Chinooks and AH1's ...... I had wondered why the strong ''beat'' when the helo approached, suddenly became very muted when overhead and flying away.

LEV - leading edge vortex he informed me ...... made sense. The fwd travelling blade impacts the vortex from previous blade and ''chops'' it!!!

Later helo's obviously have better rotor aerofoil designs and are way less ''choppy''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I love aircraft that literally beat the air into submission and that were never meant to fly. Blame my years in an USAF rescue unit that operated HH-60G's.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I have been since I was in JR high (yeah Bluethunder and Airwolf really did a number on me when I was a kid).

I would love to learn how to fly one some day.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Yeah, you would be amazed at how quiet this one is. The engine is pretty much all you hear...and when this one is commin towards you, you don't hear it till its almost right on top of you.

0.02 - Not goin anywhere, just recieved it last week. I get to play with it for the next 3 weeks.

There is a saying that I like...."Helicopters don't really fly, they are just so ugly that the ground repels them."
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Quote Originally Posted by HnKuspDude View Post
    There is a saying that I like...."Helicopters don't really fly, they are just so ugly that the ground repels them."
    Yup... or they beat the air into submission.

Do you know the definition of a helicopter? A thousand loose bolts orbiting an oil leak.

Is that 120 in final dress, or are you still adding stuff? I'd expect a Nightsun, maybe a little FLIR action, a few Technisonics inside, all the toys. Inquiring minds want to know!

Administrator
    I love 'em and hate them all at them same time. I spent my fair share riding in them, jumping out of them, falling out of them, and puking in them. Oh yeah, how could I forget, I found Jesus in one. Well, maybe not found, but the helo introduced me to Him.
    They still amaze me, even more so when a good pilot is at the controls. I still prefer that I fly with the laws of physics rather than the laws of horsepower.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was a crew chief on the pavelows for 6 years

My experience was limited to some ancient Vietnam era Hueys that the USAF had foisted off on it's missile units.. They flew us out to the missile sites when the roads were snowed in. They had triple the hours on the airframes they were designed for and gave you little hints about their age like doors that no longer fit or closed and the like.

A friend of mine was the chief mechanic for the helos and I asked him what he thought of them since I wasn't real thrilled about riding in them. His response was he wouldn't even go up on check rides. THAT really inspired confidence!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Though I've never even been in one, I'm fascinated by them. Already told my wife that first thing I buy after I win the lottery (O.K., second -- right after her horse ranch) is one of these:

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Got a couple hours in UH-1's sitting left seat. There's nothing more fun than flying 'em.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I love them. I am terrified of flying in any kind of aircraft but I love to watch them fly.

I have flown in am MH-53, A Seahawk (Navy variant of the Blackhawk) and a Robinson R44. By far, the most frightening of them all was the R44.

I once had an MH-53 shear its tail rotor gear and crach just 50 yards from me. That was very scary.
    And I got lifted into the Seahawk from the "flight deck" on board USS R. K. Turner, CG-20 in the Persian Gulf in 1991. Also scary.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by HnKuspDude View Post
    Yeah, you would be amazed at how quiet this one is. The engine is pretty much all you hear...and when this one is commin towards you, you don't hear it till its almost right on top of you.
    We had a 120 come in at work a few weeks ago, and I was surprised too at how quiet it was. This one was also very new as I caught a whiff of that "new helicopter smell" as I was talking to the pilot.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

Links